in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How did you find us?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

topic icon Author Topic: How did you find us?  (Read 256242 times)

Toyduck

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Toyduck
message icon
Re: How did you find us?
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »

Just wondering how everyone came to find Golden Age Comic download website or support forum?

Tell us how you found us, give us your story...

Thanks, Serj

Googling around looking for Golden Age comics. Great Site.
ip icon Logged

Fenway

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Fenway
message icon
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »

Just wondering how everyone came to find Golden Age Comic download website or support forum?

Tell us how you found us, give us your story...

Thanks, Serj

I stumbled onto WOWIO, a U.S. only site that offers free .pdf files of books and comics, last month. I saw recently that it had made a copy of Green Lama 4 available, which reminded me that I'd not conducted a search for Green Lama, which I have been using as a term to try to find golden age public domain comics online, in the last couple of months. My search led me to http://flashbackuniverse.blogspot.com/, which in it's post of Monday, Jan. 14, 2008 mentions the site and includes the url, http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/. I then went downstairs for supper, which if I recall was....
ip icon Logged

fortunado

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: fortunado
message icon
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2008, 04:03:48 AM »

wikipidia is my best internet friend! I found this place thru a link and since I love old school comics so much I had to come and join in on all the fun!

ip icon Logged

Mr. Izaj

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Mr. Izaj
message icon
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2008, 05:27:47 AM »

In my case, I did a search through Google and found this site. And I'm glad I did because getting the chance to read vintage comics that are practically off limits to me - because of the relative expense of the actual books and their rarity - is nothing to sneeze at. I'm very much enjoying the Quality and Fawcett books on the site.
ip icon Logged

kcor

message icon
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »

I rather desperately needed to know the exact wording of some missing lettering on a page of original art passing through my hands at work. I couldn't wait for someone to round up a copy of the comic and in "googling" (probably for the comic book title plus the words scans or the word index) found you guys.

You had it and have saved the day (I will get the credit).

I had to get a copy of CDisplay to see it, as I am new to these download-oriented formats. I bet I downloaded the file three times before deciding the file was good but I needed other software (a couple of other items I downloaded to test were opened by WinZip just fine).
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »

You do not need CDisplay.  I don't believe there are any proprietary file formats for that program.  .CBR and .CBZ files are just renames .RAR and .ZIP files and you can decode them with WinRAR or WinZIP or related programs.  WinRAR does both.  I assume WinZIP does as well.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »

Many require you to rename from cbr to rar and from cbz to zip for the achiver to work.  Cdisplay requires the opposite.
ip icon Logged

kcor

message icon
narfstar & JonTheScanner
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »

Thanks guys for extension information. I later found similar advise but haven't tested it out yet.
ip icon Logged

raven

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: raven
message icon
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »

All i did was a Google search.

ip icon Logged

Michel Weisnor

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Michel Weisnor
message icon
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »

I discovered this sight through supermanfan.net.
ip icon Logged

cimmerian001

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: cimmerian001
message icon
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2008, 04:24:58 AM »

I had been listening to a podcast (The Golden Age of Comic Books) and decided to google "golden age comics downloads" and this was at the top of the list.
This is a fantastic reference to the early work of numerous artists and writers and I wait each night for my bandwidth to be renewed so that I can pour over the books.
ip icon Logged

emeraldspeedster

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: emeraldspeedster
message icon
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2008, 11:25:15 PM »

Found your site via a post on Alvaro's Comic Boards. It sounded great so I requested a link from the poster and here I am.  :)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

De_Maupassant

message icon
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2008, 08:04:39 AM »

With the misconception cover art was the best I could get, I Googled This Magazine Is Haunted and got the whole kit and kaboodle here.  The site is an invaluable resource.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »

Greetings fellow panelologists.
Was roaming around doing a search for comic forums since I'd been wanting to plug into one for a while but hadn't found any that rang the bell.

Then this site showed itself and with the downloads available I figure there must be some interesting folk on here seeing they have been willing to divest so much of their time.

Came into comics at around age 10 buying Superboy's and thus the memorible Adventure #345 seeing DC was smart enough to keep there main vein out there in the public's eye so I was hooked on the Legion of SH.
Still have that issue seeing somehow it managed to survive the summer campouts.

Bounced in and out of comics over the years 'til came full circle in the middle 80s,  got bit with the bug, went to my first convention and haven't been the same since.
That first convention I vaguely recall walking around in a daze by those many dealer's tables displaying all these ancient comics I'd never seen before.
Glad I had managed to keep a goodly number of my comics from a youth having only had only one sell off to kick myself over.
Oldest comic is a Katz and Jammer Kids platinum age collection from newspaper reprints. Newest good read I found was the Concrete series by Paul Chadwick from the '80s.
Just dug out my old TTAs and started rereading the Antman/Wasp stories. What a hoot.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2008, 01:34:52 AM »

Greetings Rez
Some of the weird books here are my scans or pics hope you enjoy. I think my coverless Amazing Man 8 is my oldest.  My most key may be Harvey Hits #3 the first full Richie Rich comic.  My best ever comic was Brave and Bold #28 boo hoo I no longer have it.  narfstar JIM
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2008, 06:05:01 AM »

narfstar-
At the risk of appearing ignorant I have to admit I don't know how to access the scans and pics you mentioned. Not being too puter literate I need simplicity but am still learning my way around this site.
Is there a how-to section someplace on the forum with an explanation of the process necessary to download and provide downloads?
Thanks
ip icon Logged

sunfloweran

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: sunfloweran
message icon
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2008, 07:52:56 AM »

thanks
I want to learn English by reading comic books, so I searched by Google, and find your website.
but I find I can't downloads any books?
could you help me?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »

ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2008, 03:18:01 AM »

Great.
Been spending a bit more time and learning some things.
Thanks.
ip icon Logged

Mr. Izaj

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Mr. Izaj
message icon
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2008, 02:56:50 AM »

Like a lot of people, I found this site through a Google search on Golden Age comics. And I'm glad I found this site.
ip icon Logged

adim

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: adim
message icon
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »

I was trying to search for goldena age comics especially Charlton etc, etc and came here. how do i post comments etc, here?
ip icon Logged

ericinwisconsin

message icon
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »

I used my Super-Internet Vision and found it.  ;D

Seriously, just a Google search of GOLDEN AGE COMICS DOWNLOADS.

ip icon Logged

sluggo

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: sluggo
message icon
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »

I have a couple of coverless alex shomburg comics (green hornet) and was looking to identify covers by the "story about the cover" section. I also hae a cover-only pf daring comics #9, and was looking for the content.

i'm a collector, writer-artist, and law professor, so i'm interested in intellectual property aspects (rich public domain) as well as aesthetic ones.

i'm interested in seeing jingle jangle, george carlson work, and some of the wolverton-hanks type stuff. but really i have eclectic interests, and my budget doesn't always allow me to indulge them all, so thanks for this service.

frankly, i picked "sluggo" because i thought "tubby" would be taken.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=3891
will give the contents of Daring #9

you could search on story title on www.comics.org and find the issue number and cover scan.
ip icon Logged

scriveling

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: scriveling
message icon
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2008, 03:23:48 AM »

I got here in sideways fashion.  I work at a public library, and one of my duties is to order movies on DVD, so I regularly read DVD reviews online.  You were linked in passing by Glenn Erickson, the DVD Savant, just as a cool site someone had shown him.  Serendipity is a wonderful thing.   ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.