in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Bidding on Heritage

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Bidding on Heritage  (Read 22101 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Bidding on Heritage
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »

Guess JV's gonna poop his pants when it sells for 25grand next year.
;D
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:56 PM »

I was talking about a site that was more along the lines of an up-to-date price guide, not an "exchange center" where comics were bought and sold.  As a "price guide", having "comic dealers" running the show would be bad, as they would be tempted to artificially inflate prices so they would make more money on comics they want to move.  Having actual collectors running the site would [in theory] mean that the site was more honest in its pricing.  Manipulating the pricing data would be extremely easy, so the hope is that only honest people are in charge.

Trust must be earned... and doubly so where money is concerned.  I don't think a different set of people running the show is going to help (it might, but why leave it to chance)... but a better system to which all must adhere would IMO.

...My fondness of a particular character will usually outweigh a negative opinion of an artist, such as when I continued getting The Avengers even though Al Milgrom [whose artwork makes me feel good about how I draw] was pencilling it. ...

I thought I was the only one!  :)

Honestly, he was a good writer/editor, but where did he get the idea to start penciling the covers to The Incredible Hulk in the late 70s???  

Well, in retrospect his covers weren't as bad as some I've seen for the title in the 90s.  :)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »

;D

Never happen, Rez.
I'm ecstatic with my ROI and wish whoever comes next the best of luck. My guess is that the price paid for my copy is going to bring a few more onto the market. It had been five years since Heritage had offered a Plymell Zap #1. I guarantee you that it won't be that long until the next ones - and I use the plural advisedly. If they go for more than I got, so be it. I also guarantee you that it won't affect my happiness one whit.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2009, 04:16:17 AM »

I thought I was the only one! 

Honestly, he was a good writer/editor, but where did he get the idea to start penciling the covers to The Incredible Hulk in the late 70s??? 

Well, in retrospect his covers weren't as bad as some I've seen for the title in the 90s. 

Not to take this thread way off topic, but ...  It's not that I hated his artwork, but I was really turned-off by it.  At the time, I wasn't at a point where an artist meant a bit of difference to me, I just enjoyed reading comics, so it was "six of one, a half-dozen of another", as an old friend used to say.  Still, to me anyway, Milgrom's artwork was too stiff and lifeless, and a wee-bit too cartoony for a book like The Avengers ... and I might have enjoyed Secret Wars II a little more if someone else had drawn it [not much, just a little].  NOW I can see that he was probably heavily influenced by Kirby in regards to his figure drawing, and I'm a little more tolerant of his work when I see it.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2009, 05:42:24 AM »

ha, yeah. Hope you know I was being facetious with my last line.
Funny how a new high price will bring out more of the supposed rarities.
Had a dealer mention that to me once and it made cents ...er...sense.

;D

Never happen, Rez.
I'm ecstatic with my ROI and wish whoever comes next the best of luck. My guess is that the price paid for my copy is going to bring a few more onto the market. It had been five years since Heritage had offered a Plymell Zap #1. I guarantee you that it won't be that long until the next ones - and I use the plural advisedly. If they go for more than I got, so be it. I also guarantee you that it won't affect my happiness one whit.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »

Just some random comments on the various threads running through here:

- The only real way to have a valid "comics exchange" that tracked prices would be to do exactly what NYSE and the like do:  Every sale must happen under their watchful eye and pay them a commision to count.  That may be possible in cooperation with eBay and the like and/or a grading service like the CGC.

- I'm still half-interested in seeing what such a system would theoretically involve, and if anybody wants to tinker with ideas, drop me a line--I can do development, have web space, and even a running company.  So while it's an evil idea, at least it'd be out in the open before the profiteers and speculators get hold of it.

- I'm not particularly offended by people who collect the objects as objects, but it does bother me that those books are pulled from circulation.  The more people investing or collecting/hoarding, the fewer chances exist to buy cheap and/or scan.  We've already talked about examples like the various ashcans and prototypes--they're public domain, but it's unlikely we'll ever get any of them.  (Speculation, I really don't get--it's far too risky and leads to bad practices in the rest of the industry.)

- Ken's absolutely right that this market inflation can't last forever.  When it crashes, it's going to crash hard.  All investment is, essentially, a pyramid scheme, where you can't get a good payout unless more people pay more in, or at least more money (hence the reliance on "consumer confidence" in the stock markets).  And the faster the prices rise, the faster that wall is going to hit.

- As hinted, I've never really understood collecting for the sake of collecting.  I did it for a while, because (like Cimm), I grew up in the '70s and '80s, when polybags were just something you...needed.  But I still yanked the books out of the bags regularly to reread them, including a small handful of books that would probably give some collectors heart attacks.  To me, they're carriers of ideas, stories, and art (usually in about that order), not museum pieces.

- At some point, the comic book industry really should consider a compromise measure.  Scans are fine, but digital media never lasts as long as well-maintained paper.  A physical comic book library/archive with the backing of the publishing companies would preserve the books without making them unattainable "collectables."  Alas, that's not really a trivial undertaking, and the companies aren't really in a position to actively avoid profit.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2009, 11:23:27 PM »

- The only real way to have a valid "comics exchange" that tracked prices would be to do exactly what NYSE and the like do:  Every sale must happen under their watchful eye and pay them a commision to count.  That may be possible in cooperation with eBay and the like and/or a grading service like the CGC.

That works on the NYSE because all shares of a given company's stock are identical.  Due to grading differences no two comics are identical even if they have the same grade.  Comics are more like coins or stamps, but grading of comics is much more variable than coins or stamps because many more things can go wrong with a comic.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.