in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A collector of forgotten media

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A collector of forgotten media  (Read 3233 times)

LastQuestion

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: LastQuestion
message icon
A collector of forgotten media
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »

My Name is JRC.
I live in the Arizona urban desert.

I am a superhero comic fan, and particularly like older "mystery men" type characters--those w/ out super powers.
I enjoy the original classic versions of the characters, as well as well done revamps.

I'm also a promoter of lost/forgotten media, though a small "label" I run called OneWordLong.
Although it specializes in audio, I like all kinds of tangental ephemera.

I might also print and use some of these comics to create collages and new non-linear stories.

I'm glad I found this (via newsarama)
JRC

http://www.onewordlong.com
http://www.myspace.com/onewordlong
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: A collector of forgotten media
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »

Interesting to hear the use to which you put some of these scans, might you be interested in sharing any of you 'new' stories featuring PD material ?

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »

Well JRC we are glad you found this place. I am an OTR fan and have a son who is also. Never got him into comics but he did get an appreciation for OTR. Our favorite is the Whistler but like many. He listens while at work to keep him awake while doing his boring accounting work. He recently finished his first Mr Keen cd full and liked it. He just started The Clock and said it is really good. I have not listened to them yet. We are also fans of Green Hornet, Shadow and Johnny Dollar. While the Blue Beetle may have been a popular comic there is a reason it did not go far as a radio program. The radio program stunk big time. I got all the episodes on a CD but only listened to a few because it is so bad it is not worth the time.

Too each his own tastes. I particlarly do not care for the non-super heroes. Just a costume does not a hero make. You did rightly use the term mystery man as many were not super. Welcome aboard JRC. Please feel free to join in some conversation we are getting tired of the same old guys with the same old stories. (just kidding old regulars)
ip icon Logged

LastQuestion

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »

If I ever do anything worthy of public viewing with the things I collect here I will most definitely post them.
For right now, I plan on just enjoying the stories and art.

Anyone have a favorite I might like?

JRC
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:20:19 PM »

Anyone have a favorite is a very varied response question. I am a fan of Centaur Amazing Man and Keen Detective comics with their weird characters. Other here are big fans of Matt Baker and Walt Kelly. We also have a lot of pre code horror fans. So take your pick and you will find lots to enjoy
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:42:04 AM »

I wish I could narrow down what to look for; it's all good in its own way.  Fletcher Hanks is good in a very different way than Matt Baker but both are fun.  ;D

Where on Newsarama was their a link to us; just out of curiosity?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

I think Eric nailed it.  Even the stuff you don't think you'll like, sometimes, turns out to be a gem in some respect.

When it comes to unpowered costumed heroes, admittedly they all run together.  When they don't, it seems like they're not really consistent, like Fox's Blue Beetle, who's sometimes just a cop in a funny suit, and other times is spectacularly powerful for no discernable reason.

Then there's the entire set of costumed heroes that have powers that...don't really count.  Jack of Spades in Tops Comics, for example, is actually a playing card come to life.  Is turning into a card at the end of the story a power?  Dunno.  Likewise, a lot of Captain Marvel stories focus on Billy.
ip icon Logged

LastQuestion

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:44:44 AM »

thanks for the suggestions to look up.
I know it was an unfair question, but I figured any names folks tossed out would be a nice/fun way to begin.
I never heard of Jack of Spades before.

JRC
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:40:40 AM »

Took me a long time to get a copy of this. Here is the link to Jack

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=2509
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »

Apparently, the book is rare, so it's not surprising the character's obscure.  I say "apparently," because it's reported that way...but there are at least three of us (us being "regulars on this forum") with a copy.

It's really nice work, too, as are the other Tops stories.  A nice brisk pace for the stories with solid, dynamic art.

I'm only guessing, here, but given the quality of the books (and the size--they're small), they may well have been saved and hidden from the trash and book burning, making them less rare than reported.  Or maybe we really do own half the world's supply...
ip icon Logged

LastQuestion

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 06:04:20 AM »

My mac has been taken down by some aweful hardware error  :-[ so I haven't been online at all the past 10 days  >:(.
At first I thought it might have been caused by the comic viewer I downloaded.
Exhaustive dead ends have revealed it was not--of course.

So I replaced my hard drive, upgraded my ram, and it still not taken care of, but when it is I will have a truly awesome computer.
:D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.