in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Harvey Comics, Black Cat and Sad Sack

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Harvey Comics, Black Cat and Sad Sack  (Read 6162 times)

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
Harvey Comics, Black Cat and Sad Sack
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »

For the time being, we will not allow these ones, l need to do a a bit more research on whether they are actually public domain
ip icon Logged

wrestler

• VIP
message icon
Re: Harvey Comics, Black Cat and Sad Sack
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:08:19 AM »

I hope the Harvey Comics eventually turn out to be in the public domain.   I'd really like to see scanned issues of the Simon/Kirby "Fighting American."   My guess would be that Marvel may own the rights to those, now.  Wikipedia says that the original publisher was Crestwood/Prize Comics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_American), the same outfit that did "The Green Lama."

I don't really understand the complexities of this.   I haven't seen the "Fighting American" anthology that Marvel published in 1989.  Does publishing that collection mean that they now control the rights to the original catalog?  For that matter, since DC has reprinted several issues of Whiz Comics, how does that impact the legal status of the original editions of those?   (Are we better off not asking?)

ip icon Logged

Tigger

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Tigger
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:21:25 AM »

I didn't think I had to ask about this one since your original news/chatbox had this

We are currently looking for comics by the publishers:
* Avon Comics
* Biro Publishing
* Centaur Publishing
* Charlton Comics
* Fawcett Comics
* Fox
* Fiction House
* Funnies
* Harvey Comics
* MLJ
* Nedor
* Quality Comics
* Ziff

Tigger
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 01:52:52 PM »

Sorry about that, Serj did the list and l did not know how to change it, as far as l know the problem is only with the Sad Sack and Black Cat titles. Although Harvey did publish comics under licence from other sources, and some of them could still be under copyright protection. ie: Felix the Cat is not Public Domain. That is the reason why l never did a Harvey section, since l am still not absolutely sure which are public domain. l am pretty sure Sad Sack is not and  Black Cat was another copyright that the Harvey family hung onto. The Sad Sack renewel would be in the serials section most likely as it was originally a newspaper strip, which l have not found records for yet, and l cannot find the Black Cat renewal. They are both currently owned by Lorne-Harvey Publications as far as l know
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 02:03:56 PM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 02:26:23 PM »

The publisher list I posted was a accurate at the time (as far as we knew) as we do more research we gain more info and know what are in public domain and what are not, this is why we try to manually approve uploads etc.
ip icon Logged

Michael Barnes

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »

I have a copy of Hello Pal Comics #2 (March 1943) with the Charlie McCarthy photo cover by Harvey Comics I'd like to upload if you think that one woud be okay.  McCarthy does not appear anywhere inside the book.  The interior is all anti-Fascism stuff related to the War with no memborable heroes.  It's already scanned  ;)

~Michael

P.S.  In regards to the above post about Fighting American.  I do have the 1989 hardcover reprints by Marvel.  It's a nice, full-color production.  Inside the front page it says, "The Fighting American and all characters appearing in this book and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Joe Simon and Jack Kirby."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 11:53:30 PM by Michael Barnes »
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:23:49 AM »

Hello Pal Comics would be fine to upload Michael.
Trademark is a bit different to copyright, although Marvel own the trademark on Fighting American that would not stop us from sharing scans of the original comics. To be public domain it is the copyright we need to check.
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 06:07:40 PM »

Fighting American is owned by Joe Simon and/or his estate.  He licensed that and Boy's Ranch to Marvel to reprint. If you go to his website http://www.simoncomics.com , he has copyright notices up. given that he's fought for many decades with Marvel over what rights he did or did not sell back in the 40's, I'd trust any copyright claims to have been verified by lawyers.

Simon and Kirby had a publishing agreement with Crestwood/Prize. They owned some of the titles, and later sold some of the titles to Crestwood/Prize when Crestwood staked them for their own publishing imprint.  the Black Magic reprints from the early 70's reprinted Prize published material, but was licensed from Simon (and DC basically bought Prize out in the 50's for the Young Love/Young Romance books). So basically any Crestwood/Prize book that is Simon/Kirby related is probably still copyrighted (unfortunately). I've always wanted to try the Bullseye stories, but Simon has never licensed them for reprint. But any non-Simon/Kirby Crestwood/Prize material is most likely out of copyright.

as for Sad Sack, there was a long legal battle between the Harvey estate and the creator (George Baker?) over what rights he had sold way back when. I never heard what the final results were over that dispute, but the very fact that it's being disputed means that someone renewed the copyrights somewhere.  So I'd avoid those books too, unfortunately. I remember really enjoying some of those books when I was younger.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 07:29:07 PM »

Unfortunately for the Simons, it's unrelated to who can be convinced to pay for a license or whether there's a copyright notice on a website.

The following URL isn't a conclusive search because there may be oversights, but it's a good starting point:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/cce/firstperiod.html

Neither Fighting American nor Black Magic were renewed, so their copyrights have lapsed, plain and simple.  Well, it's plain and simple assuming someone traces back to better sources, verifies them there.

Conversely, you can see at a glance that pretty much anything from Street and Smith (mentioned elsewhere) was definitely renewed.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.