in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Young Hearts in Love

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Young Hearts in Love  (Read 3426 times)

Corinne

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Corinne
message icon
Young Hearts in Love
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »

There are apparently two issues of this reprint comic by Super Comics, Inc.--issues 17 and 18. There is no date in the copy I have, but Dan Stevenson's list puts the date for issue 18 as "1964." Any ideas regarding whether this is a PD book or not? ???

PS: I understand that 1964 is not "golden age," but the stories may be from much earlier. I have a hard time determining how all these publisher's offerings fit together.  :P
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Young Hearts in Love
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:19:54 PM »

I'm working on an emotionally-stunted machine, at the moment, so I can't do much legwork, but here are some hopefully-helpful thoughts:

First, don't even try to follow Super around.  Waldmann basically bought whatever printing plates were about to go into the trash, commissioned a new cover that might kinda-sorta fit the bill, and then ran copies.  It was as fly-by-night an operation as you can imagine, and he never registered anything (to my knowledge) for copyright because, as his quote goes, "what am I going to do with a copyright?"

This was pre-Internet piracy in most cases (because he didn't license the content), but, well, that's not our problem.  It does, however, explain why he didn't register any copyrights.

Note that, since these are from-the-plate reproductions and he took no copyright, there's no additional rights complication beyond the source.  If the original material is public domain, then the Super reprint is nothing more sophisticated than a scan is today.

What I recommend (again, I don't have a full setup, here) is that you check the GCD.  Odds are, someone has a "reprinted from" note listed for the book (which will undoubtedly be totally unrelated to previous or subsequent issues of the same "series").  From there, we can check the usual sources for copyright renewals.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »

Hi Corinne,
I checked on GCD for you.  Click HERE if you want to confirm the listings for them.

YHiL #17 was a reprint of Young Love (Prize, 1960 series) #v5#6
YHiL #18 was a reprint of Young Love (Prize, 1960 series) #v6#2

Sadly this goes beyond the end of 1959 'safe date' that Aussie deems ok for the site.
A damn shame as I love those Prize books myself.   :'(

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Corinne

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »

It seems that I can learn a lot by hanging around here! Thank you, John C and Yoc.  ;D

I have been digging through a stack of comics I purchased as a lot and found another couple Super Comics issues as well. I will check them out in the GCD and see if I can figure things out as well as you can!  8)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:58:35 PM »

Hi Corinne,
We've got a list of most of the Super-IW comics HERE.
But it doesn't include publishing dates but with the original name and number hopefully the GCD site could tell you those.
Give us a shout if you need any help.  :)

Good luck,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Corinne

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »

Thank you, Yoc. The GCD site does not seem to be working right now--a situation I have noticed before. I will check back periodically to see what I can find. In the meantime, here are the other Super Comics issues I have: Love and Marriage 10 and 17 and Romantic Love 10 and 11. The first two are listed in your link, but without the issue they reprint; and the latter two are not listed at all.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:45:42 AM »

Hi C,
Yeah, GCD can be spotty service at times.

Let us know about those blank spots and I'll update the IW list we have.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Corinne

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:51:39 AM »

Thank you Yoc. At the moment the GCD site is behaving itself. There is no record regarding what is reprinted in the Love and Marriage issues. It did state that the Romantic Love issues are reprints as follows:

Romantic Love 10: Great Lover Romances (Toby, 1951 series) #6
Romantic Love 11: Great Lover Romances (Toby, 1951 series) #20

I guess the normal process would be to scan them in and put them in the Toby folder, but someone else would have to link them into the Super folder. Comments?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:03:14 AM »

Thanks for the info C.  I'm updating the IW list now.

I'll take care of the Super Comics links once you've got them in the Toby folder.

Take care,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.