in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A request from info from somebody with a copy of the Gerber Photo-Journal

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A request from info from somebody with a copy of the Gerber Photo-Journal  (Read 5302 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member

Nothing to do with the GAC site; this is purely for my personal use:

What are the scarcity indexes of More Fun 108-127 (the post-hero run?)

Thanks in advance to anybody who can check that for me!
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP

108-115  Gerber 6
116-120  Gerber 7
121-124  Gerber 7
125,126  Gerber 6
127        Gerber 7
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

Thank you, Cimm.  Amazingly, out of the 3 I found recently two are 7's.  Not that any are really common.  :)
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat

I've been meaning to ask about this somewhere, and this is as good a place as any.

Is there a website that has the Gerber Scarcity Index issue-by-issue, or at least title-by-title?  The only thing I've ever found online has been a listing of what all the numbers represent, but nothing more useful than that.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

Thank you, Cimm.  Amazingly, out of the 3 I found recently two are 7's.  Not that any are really common.  :)

I would venture to say that the Gerber Photo Journal rarity indexes were made obsolete by the arrival of the Internet, Eric.

1989 was prehistory in the Computer "age" and Gerber relied on his network of friends and dealers for the "rarity" values. Like the Price Guide, "rarity" equates with "price" to dealers, so I would also venture to speculate that many of those "values" were inflated to keep (or get) prices high.

Not to imply that those More Fun issues are common, just that there's room for debate as to just how rare they actually are.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:06:53 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP

Totally agree with ya, Jim...  the internet, with the proliferation of eBay, online auction houses, and dealer sites, has really made a lot of books come out of the woodwork.  The scarcity index, while not completely lacking in value, is somewhat skewed to a pre-internet collecting world.  Take it for what it is worth...  a RELATIVE scarcity index, circa 1989...
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

Agreed with both of you.  There is ONE book I own where I'm fairly confident the reputation for scarcity is accurate.  Which doesn't equate to how many copies survive; but just the relative scarcity.  That would be Sugar & Spike 1.

The usefulness of the Gerber is limited, dated, and flawed.  But it remains the only large-scale rating, and even if it's wrong on specifics it more often than not gives you a starting point.  Not that I needed that much; I knew More Fun was a scarce book.  But I was curious. Thank you again!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator

Prize Frankenstein #21 is listed as an eight and shows up often. Three people in this group including myself had the Tops Comics rated an 8. It was hard to find but does show up. Wish I had a cover :(
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

Ok, just an odd follow-up to this; I was wondering if there was possibly another set of data I could find to compare.  I decided that the Heritage archives might be a good place to look; since they have easily accessible data for seven years or so on-line.  That lets us track at least how many copies have come up for sale at one high profile location.  (If anybody has access to the CCG census that would probably be another wonderful resource; but I don't have the access.)  None of this should suggest absolute numbers of copies, but it might give us some relative numbers.

Here are the numbers I got for More Fun 108-127; since they're the only books I had Gerber numbers on:

The Gerber 6 Books:

108: 2 Copies
109: 2 Copies
110: 1 Copy
111: 2 Copies
112: 1 Copy
113: 2 Copies
114: 1 Copy
115: No copy at Heritage
125: 5 Copies
126: 2 Copies

The Gerber 7 books:
116: 2 Copies
117: 2 Copies
118: 4 Sales (but 3 of those were the Mile high copy bouncing around)
119: 1 Copy
120: 2 Copies
121: 1 Copy
122: 2 Copies
123: 1 Copy
124: 1 Copy
127: 3 Copies.

I have no idea exactly what these numbers mean, though.  I strongly suspect we would get better results with a higher profile run; or a series with a greater diversity of scarcity numbers.  If anybody can suggest a run to look at I would be willing to pull sales numbers off Heritage; I think there is some meaningful information we can get from heritage on some runs.  Anybody have any suggestions?  Or CCG numbers they can throw into the mix?  (I personally doubt 115 is really the rarest of the late More Funs, but that could just be me.)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.