in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Dash Dixon

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Dash Dixon  (Read 3138 times)

kentel

message icon
Dash Dixon
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:00:54 PM »

Hi everybody  :)

I am currently looking for Dash Dixon, a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers-like pre-war comics published between 1935 and 1939 : I don't even know in which magazine... If I could learn only that, it would be a great help. Information on internet is very (very) rare...

K.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Dash Dixon
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:54:24 PM »

Hi everybody  :)

I am currently looking for Dash Dixon, a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers-like pre-war comics published between 1935 and 1939 : I don't even know in which magazine... If I could learn only that, it would be a great help. Information on internet is very (very) rare...

K.

I thought Dash Dixon was a newspaper comic strip.  I don't know that it was ever in a comic book.
ip icon Logged

kquattro

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: kquattro
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »

I am currently looking for Dash Dixon, a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers-like pre-war comics published between 1935 and 1939 : I don't even know in which magazine...

From a quick check of the GCD, it looks like Dash Dixon appeared in MIRACLE COMICS #1-4. Here's the link to the GCD:

http://www.comics.org/series.lasso?seriesid=195

and of course, the four issues are also found here at the GAC.

--Ken Q
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:05:00 PM by kquattro »
ip icon Logged

kentel

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »

Well, actually I have no idea, and you may be right. I just fall on the name and went curious about it. But I must admitt I have no information at all, I just know the name of the authors : H.T. Elmo and Larry Antoinette.

There is another serie with approximately the same name and from the same periode, which may be different : Don Dixon and the Hidden Empire.

ip icon Logged

kentel

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »

From a quick check of the GCD, it looks like Dash Dixon appeared in MIRACLE COMICS #1-4. Here's the link to the GCD:

http://www.comics.org/series.lasso?seriesid=195

and of course, the four issues are also found here at the GAC.

--Ken Q

Thanks a lot Ken; I'll check it right now  :D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:40:48 AM »

Don Dixon appears in early issues of the Funnies, 1-19.  We have all those here with paper scans, as well.
ip icon Logged

kentel

message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »

Don Dixon appears in early issues of the Funnies, 1-19.  We have all those here with paper scans, as well.

It looks like I knocked at the right door : thank you very much for your quick answers !!
ip icon Logged

kentel

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 11:36:05 PM »

Well; I'have read Dash Dixon; here are a few impressions;

Dash Dixon is a "college star" (I don't know what it exactly means; but he's sure very good) working for the police. He's sent on mission to protect the Dr. Lorenz, who just happened to discover the formula of eternal life. As Dixon prevents him to be killed, Lorenz, gratefull, proposes to give him the eternal life, and Dixon becomes a super-hero.

The storyline is rather simple (if there is a storyline...), but it is played on a bad tempo and with lots of inconsistencies : you jump from a situation to another without clear connections, the pictures badly follows on, which weakens considerably the suspens, you don't know who does what and why he does it. The texts fields are generally inserted in the wrong places: you can see that the specificities of the comics language aren't under control;

Graphically it's very poor : no comparison with Calkins (not talking about Raymond). The design of all the SF stuff is striking by its lack of imagination, you've got drawing mistakes everywhere (wrong perpectives, impossible movements, disproportionate limbs, etc, etc I even found a right hand on a left arm somewhere).

As a matter of fact, I found the Sky Wizzard series (in the same issues of Miracle Comics) more interesting: but the magazine stopped after only 4 issues. When you read it, you just know why. ;D In any case, I was very curious to read these Dash Dixon adventures, just for the pleasure of discovery :) Now I'll try Don Dickson and the Hidden Empire.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »

Nice review kentel!
+1 karma  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:35:40 AM »

Yeah Kentel there are times when they are just so bad ya gotta love em
ip icon Logged

kentel

message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:44 PM »

Nice review kentel!
+1 karma  :)

Thank you Yoc :) I was wondering if my commentary was really interesting;

I love comics, even the bad ones.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.