in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Trying to remember title of comic strip.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Trying to remember title of comic strip.  (Read 1362 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Trying to remember title of comic strip.
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:51:48 AM »

Many years ago a now defunct local paper carried a very good comic strip about a 17th century adventurer. IIRC he was from Scotland and more or less an exile.

Only clear memory I have of this strip was his conversation with a French companion. The Frenchman said he could not see why the Scotsman was eating oatmeal for breakfast, in France they fed oats to their horses.
The Scotsman replied "that's why France is known for their strong horses and Scotland is known for it's strong men".

The strip was not about pirates per se' but they spent a lot of time at sea.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Trying to remember title of comic strip.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:29:58 AM »

I think you may be referring to Kreigh Collins' Kevin the Bold. I read it in The Menomonee Falls Gazette back in the 70s but I haven't seen it since. The Toonopedia description is here:

http://www.toonopedia.com/kevinbld.htm

The hero is Irish and the sidekick Spanish, but as I recall their relationship was like you describe.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Trying to remember title of comic strip.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:39:41 AM »

Kevin the Bold is it alright.
Not long after I posted the question I began to remember he was Irish instead of a Scot. Though I think he had some tie in to the Scots troubles with the English, Irish and Scots putting aside differences to oppose the English was pretty common for several centuries.

I remember reading this strip in the fifties, about as soon as I first learned to read in fact.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:43:36 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.