in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pets and US

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

topic icon Author Topic: Pets and US  (Read 51242 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Pets and US
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2010, 03:26:27 PM »

Condolences, it may be "just" an animal to some but they become friends and family.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2010, 03:29:44 PM »

Last week we had a scare. Our cat did not return at night. He usually does not go far and bangs the screen door to get in after only being out an hour or two at a time. We called for him several times before going to bed. The next morning he was not at the door waiting. When I got in the car to go to work there he was. He had snuck in the car when I was using the power outlet to inflate my bike tires. It was a cool night so he was fine.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »

Last week we had a scare. Our cat did not return at night. He usually does not go far and bangs the screen door to get in after only being out an hour or two at a time. We called for him several times before going to bed. The next morning he was not at the door waiting. When I got in the car to go to work there he was. He had snuck in the car when I was using the power outlet to inflate my bike tires. It was a cool night so he was fine.

We had a similar scare a couple of years ago.  One of our little female cats, Cottonball Johnson, who is normally a house cat because of poor eyesight (due to a bad case of conjunctivitis she suffered from as a kitten that left her cornea's scarred), became frightened by some fireworks that they were shooting off at the ballpark nearby on the Fourth of July night and then snuck outside in an apparent attempt to "get away from the bad noise".

The wife and I didn't realize that she was missing until the next day.   We then spent much of the next week frantically looking around the neighborhood for her.  Phoenix in July is hot-very hot!  All days are over 100 degrees and are often over 110 degrees so we knew every day she was still missing made it that much less likely that we would ever get her back again (especially with her poor eyesight and lack of street smarts).

After two weeks had gone by with no sight of her we had pretty much given up hope.  Then one night, about three and a half weeks after she disappeared, I was out on the front porch feeding some of the cats when I heard a very plaintive meow and looked around to see which of the cats was making the noise.  I nearly dropped the food container I was holding when I turned full around to find myself gazing at a very skinny, bedraggled and just plain pitiful looking Cottonball meowing up at me for help!

I scooped her up and ran inside with her to show the little missus and after much hoopla we gave her some much needed water and food which she, normally a very dainty eater, ate like there was no tomorrow!  Over the next several weeks we managed to fatten her back up to her normal weight and she got her own coat cleaned up and back into shape to the point where she was back to being the pretty little princess she had been before.

I've no idea how she managed to survive for as long as she did outside but we're just thankful she did and that she was able to find her way back to us!  

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:17:24 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

Truth is stranger than fiction but nice when it turns out right
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2010, 05:29:11 AM »

We took the tiny Manx to the vet for her Spa day.
We have her groomed and her bottom shaved once every six weeks.
Keeping the fur cut close around her bottom and the backs of her hind legs makes it easier to clean her up when she has one of her frequent accidents.

She is doing fine, but still weighes only a ounce more than two pounds.
Her legs are growing much faster than the rest of her. She looks like her spine is only about 2/3rds as long as it should be. Doesn't hinder her any, she is fast as lightning, especially at bath time.
Once I catch her she doesn't struggle and fight like she used to. She is getting used to having her hind quarters bathed. Still acts very put out by the process though.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2011, 03:29:22 AM »

Our old dog passed away in his sleep this afternoon. No suffering, he just went to sleep with his head on a nice soft throw pillow and never woke up.
He had been off his feed for several weeks but for the past week he had steadily improved, regained most of his appetite, got around better than he had for years, and seemed fine. He was very nearly 13 years old.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2011, 04:13:32 AM »

Sorry for your loss. Glad he went easy
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »

My condolences on the passing of your your beloved pet.   As with Narf I am very glad that his passing was an easy one and that he had managed a "last hurrah" revival in his final days.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2011, 02:17:47 AM »

Our black lab Shadow died in the night. My son took it pretty hard. He was a really sweet dog. He was a rescue that had been dropped off at a stable. They worried about him around the horses and  put a notice asking for someone to take him. My son got him. He has been with us about seven years. I think he had a heart attack or something about a week ago. He was not himself. No energy, he would not even go get his ball that he loved to chase. I guess it really does not matter why but sadly he is gone. He seemed to never have any pain and always seemed pleasant until the end.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »

So sorry to hear that Narf, my condolences to your family on this, I've been there a few times.

Below is a picture of our cat who ripped his right paw somehow, it was not bit by the way, that was last week that that happened.

So in the last two weeks his hospital stays have cost about $750, but we love him very much.

Geo
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:24 AM »

We had Shadow to the vet last week for his shots. He had a sore paw and my son and the vet thought he may just have been lathargic because of leg pain. He was scheduled to go back to the vet this morning but did not make it through the night. Probably for the best. Could have spent a lot of money with the same results. We do love 'em and they can be costly. Take care of your little one Geo looks like a sweety.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »

We had Shadow to the vet last week for his shots. He had a sore paw and my son and the vet thought he may just have been lathargic because of leg pain. He was scheduled to go back to the vet this morning but did not make it through the night. Probably for the best. Could have spent a lot of money with the same results. We do love 'em and they can be costly. Take care of your little one Geo looks like a sweety.

Our old dog never had any health problems till the contaminated dog food ingrediants from China caused so many pet deaths in the US. Theres a possibility of a unknown or rare disease striking older dogs, like humans disease takes the very old and very young while not having much visible effect on younger pets.

On a lighter note I took the Mau to the vet for some blood tests. He had been looking run down and off his feed, probably upset because his big bubba had passed on.
By the time his appointment came due he had already snapped out of his funk, partly because I took to feeding him in my bedroom away from the other cats for several days. Still at his age, about 8 I think, the blood tests were more for my peace of mind than anything else. They tell me he is in perfect health.

When the nurse was drawing blood from a vein inside his leg she slipped and messed up. When she tried again the Mau suddenly twisted around and did one of those break dancing moves spining about till he was suddenly standing upright with fore paws in a kung fu stance and began throwning round house and rapid fire side kicks like Bruce Lee. I'd seen him stand upright before but nothing like this. He was even leaping up and front kicking and bobbing and weaving like a kung fu or cat fu exhibition.
I finally tackled him and got him under control so they could try again on the other leg. It took me and two nurses to hold him down till I soothed and talked to him to calm him down, then he lay quite and let them take blood. No one at the vet office had ever seen a cat that strong. I'd never heard of a cat kick fighting like that.

Also they examined him closely and found as I'd suspected that he has no visible testicles, if he has 'em they have never dropped and are unlikely to at his age. I do remember the old story about Bruce Lee being able to draw his testicles inside so he wasn't vulnerable to a blow to the crotch, I wonder if the Mau might have done something of the sort because of the fight with the nurses and them poking around near his crotch with needles.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:37:41 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »

You could have won big on Funniest Videos if you had taped that  ;D Our other dog has not been eating as much since Shadow passed. My son has been taking more time with her and she seems to be coming out of it. She is very happy when we are out there with her.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:26 AM »

An update on the Manx kitten that others might find useful.
The little kitten figured this out for herself. She had occasionally been found sleeping in the litter box, so long at the litter was still clean. Then lately she has taken to digging clean cat litter out of the box or tearing a small opening in the bags and making herself a bed of cat litter. Now she likes to sleep on the cat litter so that when she has a movement in her sleep she can immediatly  bury it when she discovers it on waking up.
This has cut down on the little messes considerably.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2011, 02:51:16 AM »

Amazing the way they think

An update on the Manx kitten that others might find useful.
The little kitten figured this out for herself. She had occasionally been found sleeping in the litter box, so long at the litter was still clean. Then lately she has taken to digging clean cat litter out of the box or tearing a small opening in the bags and making herself a bed of cat litter. Now she likes to sleep on the cat litter so that when she has a movement in her sleep she can immediatly  bury it when she discovers it on waking up.
This has cut down on the little messes considerably.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »

Took the Mau in for a check up and treatment for what may be a urinary tract infection.
A couple of days ago I found him sitting on a towel in a pose like he was trying to urinate and found a small pink stain when he moved. He'd never gone outside the box since the day he came here as a very tiny kitten. He repeated this behavior several times a day, sometimes leaving a pink stain and sometimes not.

I've mentioned that he has no visible sign of testicles but had not been neutered. I had thought he might finally be going through the process of maturity at this late date.
These cats are said to be late bloomers the males often not becoming sexually mature till the age of 5 1/2 to 6 years old and some males never mature. This Mau is now pushing nine years old.

The vet did a very through examination of his private parts, you never saw a cat more confused, but he did not put up a struggle. In the waiting room while he was in the carrier it was more like the opening scene of Jurrasic Park.
The vet says his equipment doesn't have the little spiky protrusions that appear on any intact male. She was unable to force his equipment out of the protective covering. He's definitely non functional down stairs.
While I'd thought about breeding him to a female Mau I'm okay with his never maturing. I hate to have an animal fixed but in todays world theres not much of an option.
As it is the Mau still looks like a very young adult despite his size and is the most gentle and caring cat I've ever seen. If no complications turn up I expect his condition will result in a long active and happy life with few if any health problems (knock on wood). 
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »

I just thought I'd mention that all of our cats are doing fine after a tough Summer here in Phoenix. 

We set a couple new records.  The hottest (average daily temperature) August on record (beating out last year which was then the hottest August on record) and the most days of 110 degrees or above (again beating out last year's record).

We lost a few trees, bushes and plants (not even heroic watering could save them) and there were some tough days for the Lil Missus, the felines and me but we survived another one.

Whew!

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2011, 04:54:20 AM »

Glad to hear all is well Cap and Joe. TN had a long streak of hot days. I fixed it so our dog could get under the crawlspace where it was a little cooler. She made it OK. We had a stray cat adopt us a few months ago. Been around so much we had him fixed. He is the most loving cat we have had in a long time. Too bad my wife will not allow another inside animal. He seems happy outside but loves lovin.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »

Well I'd not planned on getting another dog, but a relative is serving in the military and his step father is very ill so I offered to take in his dog while he is away.
The dog is a medium size rock mouthed Shar Pe. Ugliest dog I've seen close up.
He's an extremely gentle and well behaved old dog. Probably not as sad as he looks.
I'm told this dog has never made a sound of any kind.
Probably a legacy of their having been palace gaurdian dogs.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »

Good luck with the new canine member of your family, Cap, even if it is only on a temporary basis.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:50 AM »

Good for you helping out Cap
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »

Well the Shar Pei is doing fine, and seems to be happy with the large back yard here.

The poor fellow has a skin condition called elephant skin that often strikes Shar Pei.
His skin began to improve since moving him here, the heat and insects where he used to live must have made the condition worse.

I obtained a powerful medicated shampoo thats said to deal with the problem.

To give him the best bath possible and be sure all the residue of the shampoo was rinsed off I put him in the bath tub and used the shower head on its flexible hose.
It was not easy to get him in the tub. He didn't resist but I found he is twice as heavy as he looks. It was like wrestling a pot bellied stove into a small space without a dolly.

The cats seem to sense how gentle this dog is. The deaf white cat did not hear us coming so the dog nudged her with his nose to get her to move out of the way. She was not the least bit scared.

Before he got here he spent a few days with another relative that has a very old female cat, they say the two acted like the best of buddies.

That old cat is something special. A grand niece found her after the cat had been mauled anf nursed it back to health. One eye had looked to have been destroyed.
After about six months the damaged eye opened and by some miracle the eye had regenerated and the cat seems to have perfect vision now. The cat now has a home in the country and since regaining her sight she has become a hunter of small game, especially rabbits.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

Glad to hear all is going well. Our youngest cat has been getting upper respiratory infections. We are trying ot keep him inside more but he likes to get out and roam at night even though he has been fixed. We can not get him to use a litter box. So we have to let him out even though we would prefer making him strictly inside
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2013, 02:42:53 AM »

My family is losing a sweet friend tomorrow. Bushy only weighs 5.5 pounds. She hardly eats. She can not control her bowels. Adam had her treated $350 awhile back but it did not do the job. It kept her around this long. She may last awhile longer but it is better now before she starts to suffer. It is like she knows and is ready. She has not gone outside in years but went out for awhile today. One last fling.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »

Sorry to hear about this, Narf.

She looks like a real sweetie.

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.