in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

What's on your reading list?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: What's on your reading list?  (Read 21302 times)

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
Re: What's on your reading list?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »

I recall a 1950's live "Climax" TV adaptation of "Huckleberry Finn" where the replaced Jim with Tom Sawyer!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »

That is the mark of a good teacher Roy. Of course the other worry is the teachers who put too much of a slant on a story to suit their mores. Valid opinions must be allowed and not demeaned, unfortunately too few adults are capable let alone a class of teens.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 11:22:24 PM »

I think it would make an excellent teaching point. The teacher would give the kids a book to read or movie to watch and use it to show how we've progressed as a society in that respect.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2010, 12:47:53 AM »

I had an english teacher in my Freshman and Senior who liked to use the more popular works to encourage his students to seek out the classics - H.G. Wells War of the Worlds,Dracula and Frankenstien,etc.

As I recall, I was an "A" student those years :)
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 01:19:45 AM »

That must have been hard Sky. Shows dedication and how much you must care about his education. I wish they had made us read those books when I was in school. I was able to read some of the classics as my dad had some. I wasn't even interested in them until my brother brought me home a copy of Tom Sawyer when he was on leave from the Marines. That opened it up to me. A friend of mine from work recently cleaned out his attic and brought me some old books of his. I love that musty smell.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 01:49:12 AM »

Awesome! Tough love can work. My oldest daughter had a tough time as well. After raising her myself for 17 years with no help from her mom, and getting into lots of trouble with school it was decided that she needed a change of scenery to get away from the "friends" she had around her. She moved to south Jersey and did terrific in school. She joined the Navy and is now in college.
She liked the movie War of The Worlds and I got her to read the book. She really enjoyed it and it caused her to branch out to other classics.
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slingsla
message icon
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 01:49:37 AM »

Besides comics, I want to read a textbook on microbiology.  There's so much new science that I just don't know
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skybandit
message icon
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2010, 01:52:10 AM »

My kid hated it until he got to the part where the landlord came out of his room while "buckling up his pants and ejaculating."  Odd how the meaning of words change in just a brief century!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »

Just for those who are rereading sky's words; to 'ejaculate' at one time meant to shout or cry out. Gay and queer also meant different things.
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »

Later in the book the narrator's brother gets a "douche" in the face, which mean ANY spray of water back then, not the PARTICULAR one we think of now.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2010, 02:41:01 AM »

This has been a really interesting thread. I enjoy the personal life anecdotes. You could also read old books where old people were still quick meaning alive and still capable of intercourse (talk-communication).

I loved to read but refused to read what the teachers assigned. In general I disagree with forced reading selections. I think it tends to turn kids off to reading at a critical time when they should be enjoying. I think kids should have to read but it should be within a range of a lot of selections and genre.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2010, 03:31:33 AM »

In sixth grade I was the classroom dictionary. We had a terrible teacher whose idea of teaching reading was telling us to read a story and look up all the words we did not know. He never checked what we did but was acting like he was doing his job. Difference between now and then is that in some ways it worked. The kids back then conscientously did what they were told. They did learn, however, that they did not need the dictionary they would just ask me what the words meant. I never had many on my list because i was an avid comic reader who had developed a pretty good vocabulary.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »

My parents always did that "look it up" thing to me. It actually helped quite a bit because when I'd look up the word I wanted, I'd find another interesting word. In high school English was the only subject I got an A in. I had a terrific teacher that really made you want to read and learn.
Even now at work, if a co-worker needs to send a professional email to a customer, they ask me to proof read it.
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »

Alter Ego is great. Every issue has a must read and stuff I want to read but don't seem to get to. The High Camp section covers my oddball SA addction

I'm a bigger fan of Back Issue, since that's the era I grew up in. But, I took advantage of that 50% off sale Twomorrows had back in December (?), and picked up a ton of Alter Ego magazines. Now if I only had time to read them.
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slingsla
message icon
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »

I never knew that about "ejaculate".  It is funny how a word's meaning can narrow down to just referencing one thing over a span of only 50 years or so.  At least most people know that gay and queer has a broader meaning as used in the past.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2010, 01:19:32 AM »

I never knew that about "ejaculate".  It is funny how a word's meaning can narrow down to just referencing one thing over a span of only 50 years or so.  At least most people know that gay and queer has a broader meaning as used in the past.

"Intercourse" Ha!  It can mean "conversation".
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2010, 01:48:27 AM »

oh, I got an illustrated "Origin of Species" . That I haven't started yet...
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2010, 02:52:27 AM »

Read Mark Twain and ERB's Tarzan (in the early editions) to find out that the n-word used to be a simple descriptive of the subsaharan African peoples, derived from the French word for "black."

Yes definitely in Mark Twain -- particularly in Huck Finn.  I read that book to my son when he was in 3rd grade and he asked me not to use it.  We agreed I'd try to remember to translate it to "slave" as I said it out loud. 

But are you sure about ERB?  I only recall Negro used there, though, I suppose I could have been reading Bowdlerized versions.
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2010, 02:59:30 AM »

You have to dig pretty hard to find original copies, but yeah, Tarzan's been "updated" several times over it's printing history.  Pretty soon he's going to be lording over the endangered species in the gumdrop forest next to the chocolate river attended to by the infinitely gentle and wise people of color.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2010, 07:42:53 AM »

You have to dig pretty hard to find original copies, but yeah, Tarzan's been "updated" several times over it's printing history.  Pretty soon he's going to be lording over the endangered species in the gumdrop forest next to the chocolate river attended to by the infinitely gentle and wise people of color.

Some of the "Hardy Boys" and "Nancy Drew" Books (Especially the early ones) were very much of their time period and has re-writes of most,if not all,ethnic and racial elements  - something as small as a buttler or cook,to a major plot element like an evil Chinese Laundry owner or an Irishman!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »

Maybe they should re-write every comic, novel, pulp, etc. and make everyone a gender neutral stick figure with androgynous names like Pat or Chris.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.