in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How Times Have Changed!

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: How Times Have Changed!  (Read 4248 times)

Hawkbrother

message icon
How Times Have Changed!
« on: July 17, 2018, 03:53:40 AM »

When I was a boy., it was woe be unto a kid that a teacher caught reading a comic book in school. They were considered trash and were quickly confiscated and often torn up.
Now we see hardcover collections of old comics in college and university libraries. Comics, or graphic novels as they are often called now, are considered an aspect of popular culture that deserve serious attention.
Now it goes without saying that a student should not be reading a comic in math or history class; but it was totally wrong to say they were without value. I first became aware of some important pieces of literature through Classics Illustrated.
And then there was the Wertham anti-comics crusade. Almost incomprehensible that something like that could have happened; definitely part of the hysteria of the Cold War 50s. Juvenile delinquency, a phrase not used anymore. Incidentally, besides comics, another thing that was said to cause it back then was rock and roll. Some interesting footage in the Time-Life History of Rock And Roll dvd on that.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Re: How Times Have Changed!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »

Showing your age there, Hawkbrother!

I still have my first issues of The Fantastic Four and The Avengers though they're a bit dog-eared and jam-stained. Now that movies based on Marvel Comics are the biggest blockbusters, it seems as if popular culture's taken about 55 years or so to catch up with me.  But I can assure you that the witch-hunters were right, a combination of comics and rock'n'roll have definitely rotted my mind, until I've reached my present state of senile delinquency - I wouldn't want it any other way!

Now if only the modern music scene would produce something as exciting as the Marvel movies...   :-\
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »

I like that idea that we were just ahead of our times. So there,take that rest of the world.
ip icon Logged

Rintintin

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 03:20:35 AM »

I never cared what academia thinks & always had a deep disdain for it. Especially  in 2021. It's bloated with people who can make a fortune misleading students with loans to buy bad products that produce no living wage. Also the selection of comics at my library & the news paper reprints available at B&N for example are low quality. They don't sell or offer high quality stuff like Mary Perkins because nobody buys that.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »

Our school librarian and I spent some hundreds of dollars buying graphic novels from our LCS when the various publishers would advertise their liquidation lists  We also picked up a lot of manga, which was popular with our large Burmese student population.  Over the course of a year, about 80% of the material vanished from the shelves. 

There?s a certain disappointment that the books got stolen.   Would I spend the money again in such a way?  Yah, I think so. We could have done a better job policing the section.  Bottom line is I think we would have maybe looked into a way to give the stuff away in the first place.  I don?t know. 

I read a posting somewhere supposedly by a high school student who said that it wasn?t until junior year that they were aware of being assigned a reading assignment written by a living author.  Hah, says I.  I distinctly remember assigning The Sound of Thunder to a 9th grade class.  In 2015. Oops

Consider this:  we?ve had parents groups show up at school board meetings demanding that we remove books from the library shelves.  If we don?t, their going to instruct their kids to steal them to get them out of circulation.  Perfect. Will the school prosecute if we catch them?  Of course not. Bad press
ip icon Logged

Rintintin

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 11:56:08 PM »

If we don?t, their going to instruct their kids to steal them to get them out of circulation.  Perfect. Will the school prosecute if we catch them?  Of course not. Bad press

Okay, I hate school & teachers, but I am not that nasty. That's sad. It wasn't ME!!!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 12:21:04 AM »

I never cared what academia thinks & always had a deep disdain for it.
Well, now you can get degrees and PHD's for WOKE analysis of obscure aspects of comic book history and culture.
Comics, or graphic novels as they are often called now, are considered an aspect of popular culture that deserve serious attention.

Depends on how you define 'Serious'.
I read a posting somewhere supposedly by a high school student who said that it wasn't until junior year that they were aware of being assigned a reading assignment written by a living author.
Well, if you are reading regularly you shouldn't need to be assigned a living author. I always got it that School literature courses are all about introducing students to the earlier classics that they would otherwise probably not read. I am grateful that I was introduced to Shakespeare and Coleridge and even 'Waiting for Godot' which I would otherwise never have read and been familiar with.
I still find it ironic that my young English teacher confiscated a copy of Catch 22 which some of us were reading in class and guffawing and distracting others. It had only just been published and he knew nothing about it.
I first became aware of some important pieces of literature through Classics Illustrated.
Likewise. My own-self, in early high school, I was reading Lord of The Rings, Biggles and WE Johns Science Fiction series, Bound copies of the WW1 US life magazine, and Leslie Charteris, to name a few.

In later high school years I read and introduced friends to HP Lovecraft, Theodore Sturgeon and Harlan Ellison. Also was reading Peter Cheyney, Henry Miller, Celine and Chester Himes. Also to name a few.
What don't I read? Anything recommended by Oprah, any book that has received a Man Booker prize or any  literature prize. That's just me.   
But teaching High school students over the last two decades, I can say most don't read books any more.
I have a nephew who has a degree as a computer engineer. He says to me don't  recommend a book to read, recommend a podcast or a video.
When I was a boy., it was woe be unto a kid that a teacher caught reading a comic book in school. They were considered trash and were quickly confiscated and often torn up. 
In primary school I had a math teacher who brought in a stack of comic books, put them in a box on the floor - gave us a series of problems to solve and said, ' When you get all those correct, you can spend the rest of the period reading comic books. I Became really good at maths! Ah, Motivation! Needless to say, she was hated by the other teachers and didn't last long. 
What continues to puzzle me was that in the mid-sixties when super-hero comic books were taking off, Newspapers seemed to go sour on comic strips, most of the non- funny strips disappeared and the comic section shrank. A new generation of Journalists seemed to be prejudiced against the comic strip.                                   cheers!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:58:25 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Akorr

message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 12:17:24 AM »

I have mixed feelings when it comes to comics in schools. Perhaps I shouldn't because like many things it comes down to parenting.

I nannied for a family and they had a dyslexic 12 year old. To get him to read they had him read comics, like Fantastic . What young boy wouldn't love that after all! He wasn't reading though, he was inferring . You ask him details like locations, names and less visual plot elements he couldn't tell you.
It made me want to scream. I know school sucks and this is hard for you, but dude, please try.

However, I ended up in a remedial English class my sophomore year and every Wednesday, when the class was longer, we'd watch "Heroes". He'd print off some the tie-in comic pages with word balloons and such cleared out. Somewhat amusingly, to practice inference.
What did we think was being done/said? Why did we think that? Thinks of that ilk.
My favorite memory was the introduction of a character that hadn't appeared in the show (yet?) based on the events on the page we had to guess her power. Super speed, if memory serves.
I had guessed intangibility, apparently I was the only one who knew that word. I was ridiculously proud of myself.
I digress!

They have a place but should be like candy, I guess. Like in Australian Panther's case, where it was a reward. I feel I see it too often used the in place of "conventional" books though.

Would I spend the money again in such a way?  Yah, I think so. We could have done a better job policing the section.  Bottom line is I think we would have maybe looked into a way to give the stuff away in the first place.  I don?t know. 

Schools I attended in a few different states (North Carolina, Iowa, Wyoming) did this thing where they'd set up the tables in the cafeteria and lay out books. Each table was for a designated age range, and a class would be brought in for the students to each take one.This lasted until 7th grade (12-13 years old)

Now I'm not sure where the books came from, if they were donated or bought with extra funds. Perhaps a program like that could be considered? Or only buy a few but have them be prizes for certain reading goals?

Flowers for Algernon! Of Mice and Men! Literature! I contributed, mmm tragedy. Those were my favorite assigned reading books that I reread to this day.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 02:56:51 AM »

I nannied for a family and they had a dyslexic 12 year old. 

I have to wonder what tests they used to diagnose the child.
I worked in TAFE in Australia. Stands for Technical and Further Education, Is where you go after high School to do a trade rather than attend University. I taught 'Foundation Studies'  To give people a basic standard of Literacy and Numeracy so they can get a job. So we got a lot of people with various learning and behavioural disabilities. And you find that teaching organizations generally don't have the budgets or resources  to accurately diagnose or deal with learning disabilities. Even where - as in Australia - most schools have 'Special Learning' classes  for persons with those issues.
So we all worked with these people without any special training at all.
Dyslexia:- a catch-all term used to cover a  wide range of symptoms.
If you search for a definition you get a very general description. Like this.
Dyslexia is a learning difficulty that impairs a person's ability to read and write.

No, it impairs a lot more than that. Impairs a person's ability to get a job and otherwise lead a normal life.
And most important - an inability to read and write carries with it a significant social stigma.
Which makes it doubly difficult to help someone  who has a learning difficulty because they can go decades hiding it in all sorts of clever ways. You would be surprised. 
Here is an official definition,.
Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurobiological in origin. Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurobiological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.?

Adopted by the IDA Board of Directors, Nov. 12, 2002. 

I don't find that definition accurate either.
It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language 

Should also say 'Numeracy' which is just as much a problem. 
What kind of difficulties? Well I can tell you from experience that 'ordering' is a common factor.
You write down a number or a word, but with the letters or the digits in the wrong order.   
I know people with Dyslexic conditions who run their own businesses and have organizational positions at quite high levels. In all cases they develop compensatory coping mechanisms and hide or deny the basic problem.
Comics - comics can help beginning readers because the presence of pictures in context with the words can help with the decoding.
But you need to be clear just what the decoding problem is for the individual.
Also if the individual is not motivated to read the selected comic then it won't help.
[Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurobiological in origin.]
Which means in Layman's terms it's about Faulty wiring, not about intelligent or brain capability. Which is why some  dyslexics can become high achievers.
However, I ended up in a remedial English class my sophomore year and every Wednesday, when the class was longer, we'd watch "Heroes". He'd print off some the tie-in comic pages with word balloons and such cleared out. Somewhat amusingly, to practice inference. 

I gave an exercise to a High School English class -not a special needs class- in which  I whited out a page of a Phantom comic, photocopied enough for each student to have one, cut out each panel separately and gave each student one set and asked them to put them in any order they pleased and write a story. Reason? To stimulate their imagination and creatvely and thereby get them to see that they were capable of creating.
Games are  considered an effective way of teaching - but the teacher has to understand the purpose and be committed to it. 
You said the teacher - just cleared out - The teacher needs to be an active participant in the classroom - That teacher was just collecting a wage.
like many things it comes down to parenting.

When Sesame Street started on TV they said, hey, we can eliminate illiteracy. Every kid can watch Sesame Street and learn to read and write.
Well, obviously, not so. Why? As any educator knows, a child learns best when a parent is actively involved at home with them while they are learning. So, for example, if a child watches Sesame Street with Mum on the couch with them, asking questions and checking understanding, the child will learn something, Without that feedback, it is basically a waste of time.
Akorr,
If you 'ended up in a remedial class in my sophomore year' then its possible that some of what I have written here will cause a strong emotional reaction in you.
Thanks for bringing up the subject.
I became a teacher of foundation studies to help people. It's a real shock to realize just how little you  can actually achieve and how many people need help. And that not everybody wants to admit that they may need help.

Cheers!                     

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 03:50:07 AM »

I've read that illiteracy rates were higher in the Northern states of the USA in the 20th and 21st centuries than during the 18th and 19th centuries.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »

I've read that illiteracy rates were higher in the Northern states of the USA in the 20th and 21st centuries than during the 18th and 19th centuries.

True, indeed!  And it is getting worse in USA every day - spreading faster than Covid-19.  Soon, there will be no difference between "to" and "too", and "their", "there", and "they're", and "I COULD care less" will be the correct phrase.  And there will be only 10 words that have different meanings, and no one will understand what someone else is saying, because no one will have a vocabulary of more than a few slang words, which most people won't be able to understand, in any case.

I learned both English and Dutch from reading 1940s comic books, comic strips and children's heavily illustrated books.  I also learned Danish, Swedish and Norwegian as an adult by reading 1960s and 1970s comic books.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 08:46:09 AM »

And there will be only 10 words that have different meanings, and no one will understand what someone else is saying, because no one will have a vocabulary of more than a few slang words, which most people won't be able to understand, in any case.

This definitely sounds like Newspeak in 1984.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 10:33:14 AM »

learned both English and Dutch from reading 1940s comic books 

I'm thinking of learning French and Spanish that way, since there are many great comics from both those language groups that are untranslated.
and no one will understand what someone else is saying, 

Well, you know, that's kind of the point.
What happens is that we create what I term 'language sub-ghettos' which defines which peer group we belong to.
Language mutates, which is something I love about language.
I have learned American slang from TV, Movies and Comic books. As have we all really. 'And so say all of us!' 'Sorry about that chief!" "Live long and prosper!'
[I'm watching currently a lot of 40's Noir movies which have their own language conventions.
Can anybody explain to me how 'So Long!' substitutes for 'Goodbye!' What exactly does it mean?]     

It starts in School, particularly in high school when its vitally important to be identified as part of a peer group.So Nerds have their own language as do Teenage girls and 'Jocks'. So language marks you as either an insider or an outsider
In the 1940's Jazz musicians greeted each other with, 'Cool man!' then beatniks, then cool teens in the 70's and now its universal.
Frank Zappa and his daughter Moon mocked 'Valley Speak' by writing a song about it, which gave it maximum exposure and now we are all infected by it. Seriously? LOL!! As I write this I am confronted by a row of EMOJI's !
But the language is healthier than you think. while Millennials in Western countries definitely have a problem,
in countries where 'English' - and we should probably stop calling it that - is a second language, it is a language of power and also evolving within national sub-groups. It is the universal language of commerce and I believe Engineering. Computing and IT? I am led to believe that in certain circles in German society, English  is pretty much the primary language.
I consult an acupuncturist who trained in China. I asked him, how he got on speaking Mandarin. His answer?
He didn't have to, because the younger generation of practitioners in the university all spoke high quality English.
I can tell you this - as a TESOL teacher - we are entering an era where there will be more English speakers in non-anglo countries than there are in traditional English speaking counties. And every one of those subgroups is evolving their own version of 'English'. [Maybe 'English' should join the X-men?]
Last point. Check out how many new words dictionary compilers like Oxford and Cambridge add to the lexicon every 12 months or so. 
Mind you they have also been changing the traditional definitions of some common words, but that's another story.             
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 09:01:35 PM »

WARNING: Dang! I forgot about the site not accepting alternate foreign letters (though, oddly, they showed up fine in the preview). The Swedish terms you are about to see should have a's and o's with overrings and the Irish word an accented a. Some single quotes bit the dust as well. The original post said:

I found divergent views on the origin of "so long," all of them interesting. The Online Dictionary of Etymology sums them up:

Parting salutation, 1860, of unknown origin, perhaps from a German idiom (compare German parting salutation adieu so lange, the full sense of which probably is something like "farewell, whilst (we're apart)"); or perhaps from Hebrew shalom (via Yiddish sholom). Some have noted a similarity to Scandinavian leave-taking phrases, such as Norwegian Adj? s? lenge, Farvel s? lenge, Mor'n s? lenge, literally "bye so long, farewell so long, morning so long;" and Swedish Hej s? l?nge "good-bye for now," with s? l?nge "for now" attested since 1850 according to Swedish sources. Most etymology sources seem to lean toward the German origin. So long (adv.) "for such a long time" is from late Old English.

Earlier guesses that it was a sailors' corruption of a South Pacific form of Arabic
salaam are not now regarded as convincing. "Dictionary of American Slang" also adds to the list of candidates Irish sl?n "safe," said to be used as a salutation in parting. The phrase seems to have turned up simultaneously in America, Britain, and perhaps Canada, originally among lower classes. First attested use is in title and text of the last poem in Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" in the 1860 edition.

In the same article a friend of Whitman's, William Sloane Kennedy, is quoted (from 1923):

The salutation of parting ? 'So long!' ? was, I believe, until recent years, unintelligible to the majority of persons in America, especially in the interior, and to members of the middle and professional classes. I had never heard of it until I read it in "Leaves of Grass," but since then have quite often heard it used by the laboring class and other classes in New England cities. Walt wrote to me, defining 'so long' thus: "A salutation of departure, greatly used among sailors, sports, & prostitutes ? the sense of it is 'Till we meet again,' ? conveying an inference that somehow they will doubtless so meet, sooner or later." ... It is evidently about equivalent to our 'See you later.' The phrase is reported as used by farm laborers near Banff, Scotland. In Canada it is frequently heard; 'and its use is not entirely confined to the vulgar.' It is in common use among the working classes of Liverpool and among sailors at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and in Dorsetshire. ... The London Globe suggests that the expression is derived from the Norwegian 'Saa laenge,' a common form of 'farewell,' au revoir. If so, the phrase was picked up from the Norwegians in America, where 'So long' first was heard. The expression is now often used by the literary and artistic classes.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:09:12 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 11:08:18 PM »

Thank you Crash!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 03:12:37 AM »

learned both English and Dutch from reading 1940s comic books 

I'm thinking of learning French and Spanish that way, since there are many great comics from both those language groups that are untranslated.
and no one will understand what someone else is saying, 

Well, you know, that's kind of the point.
What happens is that we create what I term 'language sub-ghettos' which defines which peer group we belong to.
(1)Language mutates, which is something I love about language.

(2)Can anybody explain to me how 'So Long!' substitutes for 'Goodbye!' What exactly does it mean?]     

But the language is healthier than you think. while Millennials in Western countries definitely have a problem,
in countries where 'English' - and we should probably stop calling it that - is a second language, it is a language of power and also evolving within national sub-groups. It is the universal language of commerce and I believe Engineering. Computing and IT? (3)I am led to believe that in certain circles in German society, English  is pretty much the primary language.

Check out how many new words dictionary compilers like Oxford and Cambridge add to the lexicon every 12 months or so. 
Mind you (4)they have also been changing the traditional definitions of some common words, but that's another story.
Cheers! 

(1) I have no problem with the concept of language changing over time.  New inventions need names, and verbs of using those inventions, and doing something that has never been done before are needed.  Even some new ways of thinking can lead to new concepts.  Old ways of doing things stop existing.  Describing those things in precise terms may not be so important any more.

My problems with the destruction of old terms, sayings, and ways of description are losing terms that describe things or concepts in detail, when we need to be able to articulate those differences in today's World, so that there is good understanding between people, which will ensure less misunderstandings, which can lead to problems and strife.  English (due to its having four major source languages (Anglo-Saxon, Old Church Latin, Danish, and Norman French) is extremely rich in descriptive vocabulary, which has been adapted to be able to distinguish many more varying degrees of difference than most other major languages, and gives it several different ways of getting across a single idea, than, for example, a language with an extremely limited vocabulary, such as Norwegian.  It's incredible how much more (relatively) sophisticated Danish is than Norwegian, merely because Denmark conquered and occupied Jutland, and absorbed many thousands of Angles (North Frisians), and Jutes, two Plattdeutsch (Low German)-speaking tribes, into their society; and in learning their newly adopted national tongue, they brought into it 539 new West Germanic vocabulary words.  Those added words, instead of meaning exactly what the equivalent Danishh words meant, were amended to mark gradations of degree of value of the meaning of the word, providing a new way to express a concept which was not able to be expressed before in a single word, but only with a cumbersome phrase of several words.

Because of laziness, wanting to do everything super-quickly because of lack of attention span or an irrational desire to save time to use for favourite pursuits, many old words are dropping out of the language that are still relevant to today's World, by helping understanding in communication.  I can tell you that I grew up mainly with people 2 and 3 generations before mine, and like Carl Barks, I am more at home with the Canadian/US English of 1890-1940 than from the era of my own adulthood.  My pet peeve is when words used to describe a concept are dropped from the language, and there is no replacement for them, but people might still want to talk about that subject because, even if what is being describe doesn't happen anymore, explaining that history may be helpful to allow current youth to understand their history, or what is happening today that is analogous.

A good example of that is the term "cover" used to describe when a singer records a song that was a hit on the radio or in some form of medium in the past.  The original meaning of that, particular use of the term was a covering up (smothering or squelching) of the access to hear the original version, and from that, its popularity, and in so doing, to result in stealing the sales of records from the original, to the benefit of the purveyor of the newer version.  The origin of that practise was in USA, when Rhythm and Blues music from The African-American community was first recorded by small, independent record companies, mainly owned by Caucasian entrepeneurs, who noticed a niche in the potential market for music from The Black Community, because the latter finally had some discretionary money to spend, over and above that needed to meet their survival needs, because those who were soldiers in wartime earned decent money, and those men that didn't serve worked in the war industries' factories, as did most of the women. Soon after the Caucasian teenagers heard that music, they started to like it.  The major record companies, with their greater cash reserves, marketing and distribution channels, could take better advantage of that by copying the same songs that were R&B hits, using Caucasian artists, and not only sell to teens who would have a hard time hearing that music on the low wattage short-distance ghetto radio coverage, but also were told by their parents not to listen to that "Devil's Music".  So, the Caucasian Cover versions generally sold much, much more than the original R&B versions, and African-American artists who had a new hit burgeoning, often had its progress slowed to a trickle, when the lazier Caucasian teens, who didn't want to take the extra effort to find the original version in a ghetto record shop, and didn't want to hide it from their parents for fear of being punished, and losing it anyway, chose to buy the watered-down version.

All through the 1950s through the 1970s, we had words for a new recording by someone of an old song: (Remake), and the covering up of a burgeoning potential hit song: (Cover).  The two words had very different meanings, and even though Remake was dropped out of the language in the early 1980s, and Cover then was changed to mean what Remake had before, leaving no word for expressing the concept of a Cover, (which most often had at least a short-term or several year negative effect on the livelihood of the original artist and independent record company), people might want to express that concept to people today, because the principles to be learned by understanding those historical circumstances still have relevance today.

A similar situation, although less drastic to this point, is occurring in Dutch language today.  I just don't want to have my primary languages become simpler and simpler, and thus, less able to express and convey meaning to those with whom we are attempting to communicate.

One might suppose that The Inuits in Canada and Greenland don't need 750 words for types of snow and ice, now that most of them live in wood houses in towns.  But, I wonder about that.

(2) As far as I know, So Long, for us always meant "Enjoy the best of good luck and good health during the entire period (however long) between when we part now and when we again see each other!"

(3) WOW!!!!  That is really shocking!!!  When I first visited Germany in the 1950s as a child, from The Netherlands NOBODY spoke English.  Not even in their tourist industry!  When I first returned as an adult in 1964, ONLY a few of the bigger tourist kiosks and absolute main tourist sites had maybe one person who could only speak a little bit of English. Virtually NO ONE of the basic population spoke English.  Lots more people spoke French, and they hated The French.  How far they have come!!!  Thanks to computers, and the language of computers and instructions for them.  AMAZING!!!  Even in the 1980s and 1990s if you resided there and didn't speak German you were lost!  You couldn't function.  Luckily, when I lived mainly in Bremen for 6 years during the 1990s, and my Hochdeutsch (Standard German)wasn't all that good, I could lapse into Plattdeutsch(as Dutch is, more or less a western dialect of Low German, and reasonably close), and make myself understood, as most of the people I knew had grandparents who spoke their local Low German dialect.  Despite my being among all university educated people, most of them spoke virtually NO English at all (having had maybe 2 years of classes in school, but no practical experience), and the few, who could speak a little, didn't want to, because they were embarrassed at how poor a level it was.

(4) Changing the traditional meanings of old words was covered in my comment on #1, related to changing the meaning of "cover" to take the place of remake.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 04:18:50 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 04:12:07 AM »

When I first visited Germany in the 1950s as a child, from The Netherlands NOBODY spoke English.
I'm not as widely travelled as you are Robb, but I went to England via South East Asia and the TransSiberian Raliroad. The only country i was in where I could not communicate in very basic English was Brezhnev's Russia.
Re Germany, it has come to my attention through the music  sharing sites I frequent, that there was a huge take-up of American popular music post WWII. Currently, there are several companies in Deutschland that repackage volumes of American music that is not valued quite so much in the US.
Here is one.
https://www.bear-family.com/
The same thing applies to Japan, where they do the best quality repackaged Jazz, Blues and Rock records you can get. And many that are obscurities in their own country.
The Phenomenon fascinates me. That American cultural history seems more interesting and relevant to the rest of the world than it does to most contemporary Americans.
French, Spanish and German comics have many Western characters, US Gangster  stories and many stories about New York - to name a few subject areas. Meanwhile US comics are all about Superheroes, Post Apocalyptic fantasies, Zombies, Vampires. There are very few US comics that engage in any real way with the real world.
We live in an Americanized world where Americans are reluctant to be positive about their own culture.   
My problems with the destruction of old terms, sayings, and ways of description 

My biggest annoyance with Language, and 'annoyance' is putting it mildly, is the practice of creating movies or TV shows, and even comics and books at times, in which the characters talk in modern idiom instead of the speech as they actually used to speak in that time and place.   

ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »

As a teacher myself, recently graduated with an M.Ed focused on literacy, I can argue strongly that comic books encourage literacy and recent research suggests they improve basic literacy as much as classics do.With younger learners, non-native speakers (readers) and students with special needs, they can be especially useful in so many ways.

Of course, nobody in their right mind should suggest reading The Long Halloween is equivalent to reading The Odyssey.

The other subjects raised here I'll avoid getting into simply because I'll dive in too deep!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2021, 05:22:39 PM »

Here in Central Scotland, particularly the wee bit where I live, people will say on parting, "See you later", sometimes, "cheerio", or simply, "see you".
A simple statement of fact is often finished with "eh?" And once upon a time in certain parts, a sentence would end with "ken?" or "ken, likesy?"
You're not going to hear that in Glasgow. A greeting can be "'right pal?" but watch the intonation as often it is a prelude to trouble.
My wife and I visited France regularly for many years and the people in local tourist offices in small towns, villages, Syndicat d'initiative as it was in the '70's, seldom spoke good English. English speaking tourists in La France Profonde were relatively rare.  We'd get off a train at 6 am in somewhere like Montelimar, have coffee and croissants near the station and find the bus that would take us to a small town down the road a bit. Even though my French was nowhere near as good then as it is now, we got by very well.  The difference in attitude when people found out we were Scottish and not English was noticeable.
greg is right about comics encouraging literacy but in the UK till relatively recently, comics were seen as kids stuff, throwaway rubbish.  It's changed quite a bit with university courses available, Dundee Uni for instance, and much more publicity in the media.  I think calling comics Graphic Novels has appealed to the posy crowd.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2021, 11:37:14 PM »

My Father had the habit , at intervals when someone was talking to him, to show he was listening, of saying, 'Och Aye!' This would have been learned from his father and his grandfather - who emigrated to OZ in the 1850's. I'm not sure from which part of the UK, but that probably indicates Northerner.   
From that I believe that 'Och Aye' in the US mutated into, 'OK!"  And yes, I know there are other explanations.
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »

Och aye, come awa ben the hoos. The Arthur Askey vehicle, Backroom Boy, has a scene in a Scottish hostelry and an old boy who is to ferry Askey to the lighthouse says, "Och aye, och aye" regularly. 
I occasionally utter Och, usually when something isn't quite right, sometimes followed by an expletive.
But your eminent forebears most likely came from Scotland, the "ch" sound is difficult/impossible for southerners.  Loch becomes lock.
Och aye to OK?  Could be. But ah divnae ken. (and there should be a glottal stop in "but", not a t. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL0YOUm4V10
You might like this.  The great Stanley Baxter, Parliamo Glasgow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0rgETg2Hoo

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 11:52:34 PM »

Yes, Paw, at least one branch of my family has Scottish antecedents, so that may be the case. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 06:11:17 AM »

Och aye, come awa ben the hoos. The Arthur Askey vehicle, Backroom Boy, has a scene in a Scottish hostelry and an old boy who is to ferry Askey to the lighthouse says, "Och aye, och aye" regularly. 
I occasionally utter Och, usually when something isn't quite right, sometimes followed by an expletive.
But your eminent forebears most likely came from Scotland, the "ch" sound is difficult/impossible for southerners.  Loch becomes lock.
Och aye to OK?  Could be. But ah divnae ken. (and there should be a glottal stop in "but", not a t. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL0YOUm4V10
You might like this.  The great Stanley Baxter, Parliamo Glasgow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0rgETg2Hoo

It is amazing how close lowland Scots is to Frisian and Dutch. That line would be almost the same in Dutch: Ach Ja!  Kom binnen thuis*! (contraction of: in het huis).  Huis sounds like a cross between American house, and Scots hoos (or blending of them).  That's all because Northumbria and lowland Scotland were both settled heavily by The Angles (who were North Frisians), and Frisian and Dutch are sister languages.  Frisian would be even closer than the Dutch: Ach Ja!  Kom bin thus (contraction of it hus).  Hus sounds EXACTLY like hoos.

I was able to understand a fair amount of dialect speakers in Scotland more than my Canadian brethren , except those from Nova Scotia.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 04:40:43 PM »

If it's of interest, this article sheds some light on all this.
https://flemish.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2014/05/09/the-flemish-influence-on-scottish-language/

Bear in mind that French was the language of the court and upper echelons of society, albeit a long time ago. Our trade was with the low countries and France, and England was a separate country.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 10:52:52 PM »

the Clyde valley was systematically feudalised by Malcolm IV in the mid-12th century and a colony of Flemings was planted, as evidenced in the place-names Thankerton, Wiston, Lamington and Symington. 

Ah, cross-Culturalization!
The Lamington is an Australian national sweet,  traditionally served with Morning or Afternoon Tea.
Named for Queensland Governor Lord Lamington, who was first served the dish.
The history of the lamington, an Australian cake steeped in chocolate, coconut and controversy.
https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/news/the-history-of-the-lamington-an-australian-icon-20171219-h07f36

They are delicious, but very rich!
Lamingtons - the Recipe
https://www.recipetineats.com/classic-lamingtons/

Try it, you'll be glad yuu did!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:49:27 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.