in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Terrific site!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Terrific site!  (Read 5846 times)

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Terrific site!
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »

Just joined today. I've always been interested in golden age books. So this site is a Godsend! I'm only 39 but my dad was a generation older than my friends' - he served in WWII so I've always been keen on everything from 30's and 40's. When I had my main collection back in the 80's I had a handful of golden age books. All in pretty bad condition because I couldn't afford much else. Didn't bother me though. I consider myself as a comic book READER/collector. I had friends that would buy books, seal them and never look at them again. Thanks again for all this!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Terrific site!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »

Well Astaldo you found the right place. Obviously we do not slab our books to keep them perfect. We scan the darn things and reduce their monetary value. But we feel they are more valuable to share and hope you enjoy. If you have any PD books not already here we would be happy to have them added here.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »

I guess I'm not the only one that feels that way. I have no books left - :'( I sold all 5,000 + about 20 years ago to help my folks pay for different things. I actually have a book "The Encyclopedia of Super Heroes". It has a few covers of golden age books I could scan. I don't know if that's useful to you or not.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »

No problem if you have no comics to contribute. You have begun contrbuting to discussions which is cool. You can find covers to most comics at www.comics.org if you have never been there check it out.
I still have a bunch of books yet to scan and with the prolific others we are not running out. So we are happy to provide you with reading pleasure.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »

Yes, that's a great site! I also like www.coverbrowser.com
Thanks to you and all the uploaders out there for their hard work!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:20:43 PM »

Thanks for the site Astaldo I bookmarked it
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:23:52 PM »

Of course anyone who does want to give the site a helping hand but is not in a position to scan anything might consider making a contribution towards the JVJ Fund.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »

Or the site itself, don't forget.  Serj hasn't talked about operating expenses, but I don't imagine the daily terabytes of downloads (I believe that was the order of magnitude) come cheap.

Sigh..like everywhere else, there are many spots deserving any spare change, I guess.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »

Believe me, if I was able to in any way I would give something. I have a great admiration for all the folks at their site that give so much of their time for others' enjoyment.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:07:32 PM »

Believe me, if I was able to in any way I would give something. I have a great admiration for all the folks at their site that give so much of their time for others' enjoyment.

The best part (well, after the FREE aspect of it) is that it seems to attract people who just love comics! I've generally found such folks to be smarter than the average bear and pretty enjoyable to be around. This forum is the ONLY one I have found that maintains its spirit and its pleasantness. Kudus to all. It's fun to be here.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »

How true! The people here seem much more mature than on many other forums I've visited. The folks here care about reading these comics and sharing them. When I was actively collecting about 20 years ago, I had many GA books that were all beat to hell. I didn't care about the condition, I just wanted to read the stories. It's nice to find people of like mindedness.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »

heh heh he said manure --- what? oh never mind?

(Just adding a bit of childishness  ;D)
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »

Wait!?!  A forum without pointless arguing and pettiness?  This is just wrong!!!!!! It goes against the laws of nature!

;)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 10:53:10 PM »

Wait!?!  A forum without pointless arguing and pettiness?  This is just wrong!!!!!! It goes against the laws of nature!

;)

Sshhh! If you don't spread it around, perhaps nature won't notice...

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 01:12:34 AM »

Aaaaah....I knew something was missing! No trolls!
I've posted to many a forum in my day and have to say this has got to be the friendliest. Even when the topic is on a controversial subject everyone still respects each other.
Thanks everyone! How about a round of "kumbaya"?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »

We actually outsource all the petty bickering.  There's a small company out of Mumbai where they just sit around a table posting "STFU RTFM" and "First!" to each other all day.

As to maturity, well, I caught this yesterday, from one of my favorite strips:

http://xkcd.com/616/

(And if you want to see a lousy community, check out THOSE forums.  Yikes!)
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »

That's pretty funny!
You need a dictionary translate some of the stuff you see.
Sometimes I'm tempted to just type randomly; gfser gfgrr serrt$$ asd4^!
...and see what happens.
My niece, whose also 39, still writes things like "what ur u doing?" when she texts me. I reply "Ur? Isn't that an ancient city of Babylon?"
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »

I've had two bosses over the years, one significantly older than me and one a year or two younger, who would spew out random strings of letters in their e-mails.  And understand that I'm behind the 8-ball to begin with, in an industry that not only uses acronyms for everything, but often RE-uses acronyms for unrelated things.  And some names are capitalized and some aren't, and it's important which are which.

I try really, really hard to keep to exclusively English words, so it's bizarre to come in to a message asking "u no asp api" from my boss.  Uhm...maybe.  Assuming that's a question.  Or am I defending myself from an accusation?  Or did you just sit on the keyboard?  (And no, if other programmers were reading, he wasn't asking the first thing to cross your mind, either.)

I think I've trained most of my friends and family by this point, and they know that the amount of time it'll take me to get back to them is related to the number of abbreviations and smiley-faces they use.  Thankfully, I'm cellphone free, so I don't need to care about text messages.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.