in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Copyright question

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Copyright question  (Read 1293 times)

Muelli72

message icon
Copyright question
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the copyright of the comic:

Black Hawk #12 publishef by Quality
Pencils: Al Bryant | Inks: Al Bryant

I was wondering why this comic is in the public domain, because: the creator of it Al Bryant died in 1993. so he is not 70 dead....

It would be great to get some info why this comic e.g. Is in public domain and availabe fot free usage (creativecommonc)... many of the hosted comics of this page are in the same situation that the creators are not dead more than 70 years...

Looking forward to your feedback if this topic should not be in that forum please advise wha5 to do.

Best regards from germany

Michae
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Copyright question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »

As I understand it Blackhawk #12 is an American comic book and under American copyright law it is public domain. The dead for 70 years thing is a European copyright clause.
ip icon Logged

Muelli72

message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »

As I understand it Blackhawk #12 is an American comic book and under American copyright law it is public domain. The dead for 70 years thing is a European copyright clause.

That means in US public domain, but europe not?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »

As no one here on the staff is a trained lawyer (let alone one specializing in copyright) we have been advised not to comment on the subject. But ON THIS ONE OCCASION I will say that is US copyright law and the work was "for hire".
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.