in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Anyone have Green Giant Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Anyone have Green Giant Comics  (Read 2899 times)

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Anyone have Green Giant Comics
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:50:11 AM »

I'd like to see Green Giant Conics #1 by Pelican.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Anyone have Green Giant Comics
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:05:09 AM »

This one is so rare and expensive I wouldn't hold my breath A.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »

Didn't think so but I thought I'd give it a try. I found it online somewhere for $8,000. It had poor quality paper and low circulation.  :(
C'est la Vie!
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:04:41 PM »

-Yoc

Well, it's not necessarily as unlikely to get some kind of copy of it as you would think, Yoc.  The comic art dept. of Michigan State University lists having a microfiche copy of Green Giant as well as some oher very rare books (like Colossus, for example), so if someone had enough in pocket or had another reason to be in the MSU vicinity, we could at least get digital camera shots of the pages.

One can also order paper copies (B&W, I believe, and of unknown quality) directly from the MSU, but at a cost of $20 per story (not per issue, mind, but per story from a given issue), so it would still require a larger outlay than I would care to expend just to give it a try.

Still, it means that options other than finding a paper copy for getting shots of the contents, do exist.  (Also, if there's one fiche copy out there, there could always be more floating around.)

Later,

DHFH
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »

I have the fiche of both and Murray Ward sells them for $4 each
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »

How does one get in touch with Murray Ward?  I've seen old (2006) message posts on other sites.  Is the contact info still valid?  Are you sure he still has copies of Green Giant and the other titles you've recently mentioned you have (Wham #2 and Collossus)?  I'd love to try my hand at scanning these for the site and wouldn't mind owning copies myself (since I have access to viewing equipment.)

DHFH
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 11:54:56 PM »

I believe DarkMark or Ontology might have current contact info for Murray.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 04:12:56 AM »

-Yoc

Well, it's not necessarily as unlikely to get some kind of copy of it as you would think, Yoc.  The comic art dept. of Michigan State University lists having a microfiche copy of Green Giant as well as some oher very rare books (like Colossus, for example), so if someone had enough in pocket or had another reason to be in the MSU vicinity, we could at least get digital camera shots of the pages.

One can also order paper copies (B&W, I believe, and of unknown quality) directly from the MSU, but at a cost of $20 per story (not per issue, mind, but per story from a given issue), so it would still require a larger outlay than I would care to expend just to give it a try.

Still, it means that options other than finding a paper copy for getting shots of the contents, do exist.  (Also, if there's one fiche copy out there, there could always be more floating around.)

Later,

DHFH

One more reason for me to relocated near the East Lansing region when I finish my academic work. I wish this site had been active back in 2001-2002 because I lived across the street from MSU and only a half mile walking distance from the MSU library. There were times when walked by the MSU Library nearly EVERY DAY while out enjoying the gardens behind it. If GA-UK had been around I might have never left Michigan. Ah well...  :-\

B.
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:10:15 AM »

I have the fiche of both and Murray Ward sells them for $4 each

I believe DarkMark or Ontology might have current contact info for Murray.

-Yoc

Well, I've been in contact with Mr. Ward now, only to find out that after 3 years of trying to sell them, he has donated all of his remaining fiche copies to--you guessed it--the MSU library.  His reason?  Get this: the obvious LACK OF INTEREST on the part of the buying public.  (It think if more of us here had heard about their existence he would have had more orders; I used to search the net for this kind of stuff all the time--found Microcolour, but that was about it.)

Those fiche that haven't actually made it to the library yet are still absent because a friend of his is scanning select issues before they go.

No, don't know yet whether or not said individual plans to share them on-line or not, but the point is that Mr. Ward is no longer a source for obtaining fiche copies of GA comics, especially the oft-mentioned Green Giant, Wham #2, or Colossus.

So...Narf, if you'd be willing to venture to send me your fiche copies of those issues, I could try scanning them with the microfiche scanner that I discovered is available for public use in a near-by library (it's made to scan fiche cards, so they don't have to be cut into strips, either). 

Or...Narf, you can also always send them to someone else in our group (Yoc mentioned LoftyPilot?) who has the ability to scan fiches.

But whatever you choose to do, I really, truly, hope you can find some way of getting these extreme rarities up for the rest us of who are dying to see them!  Soon?

Cheers guys!

DHFH

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.