in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,841 books
 New: 99 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

When everything old is new again

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: When everything old is new again  (Read 2485 times)

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
When everything old is new again
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »

I can remember reading an old comic when I was a kid and first hearing the term "Gat and Swag". I asked my mom what it was and she explained that a gat was a gun and swag was the stuff you stole. Just recently I heard someone hear at work mention a gat. Apparently it's in fashion again. Another term is "solid". I thought that was a term from the early 90's but I read a "Cookie" comic that had it a couple of times. I find it funny how we use certain words and phrases as we're growing up, it gets thrown aside, brought back and if we're still using them, people act like we're ripping them off!
ip icon Logged

Palooka slim

• VIP
message icon
Re: When everything old is new again
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »

I love the slang of the 40's 50's thats one of the reasons i love film noir,always the best dialog
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:09:39 PM »

I grew up on that stuff and would love to see my friends' faces when I'd tell them they had moxie. "23 skidoo" "Oh, you kid!" "Chicken Inspector". I've used them all at some point and either get blank stares from my friends or a beam of understanding from my folks and their friends.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:02:31 AM »

Ha!
You're my kind of guy Astaldo!
In college I used to quote an obscure WB Cartoon all the time.
"What, no gravy?!?!?!"
I don't think anyone picked up on it.
Monty Python and SCTV they knew, not 40s WB.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:36:05 AM »

"And this time we DIDN'T forget the gravy"!
Classic!
Here's one;
Firecracker Fircracker
sis boom bah
Bugs Bunny
Bugs Bunny
Rah rah rah!
I think that's how it goes..
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »

I thought "don't forget the gravy" was a classic line; I guess it's one of those good test questions when talking to somebody.  If they know what you're talking about, they're your kind of person. :-)
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »

And if you want examples of some of the hardest noir dialogue with tongue firmly in cheek, read some of the Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective series by Robert Leslie Bellem, or some of the Black Dwarf stories in RED SEAL. 

Kachow!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »

Don't forget we have a Black Dwarf archive here
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.