in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comics and ART

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Comics and ART  (Read 2925 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Comics and ART
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:15:44 PM »

The current Andy Warhol/Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition at GOMA, Edinburgh features a few comic references.
(Actually, as I'm Scottish I should change the title round to Eduardo Paolozzi/Andy Warhol exhibition, as Paolozzi was one of our foremost artists and a great innovator.) ;)
In the showcase featuring examples of material collected as references by Paolozzi is a copy of Hi-Ho Comics #2 which we have on site.
In the Warhol section is the pencil self portrait of Warhol which references The Shadow:-
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/warhol-the-shadow-ar00594

The exhibition page is here:-
https://www.nationalgalleries.org/exhibition/andy-warhol-and-eduardo-paolozzi-i-want-be-machine
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
Re: Comics and ART
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »

In the Warhol section is the pencil self portrait of Warhol which references The Shadow:-
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/warhol-the-shadow-ar00594

Well, it's certainly a pencil sketch of Warhol and his shadow. And he may have entitled the piece "THE Shadow", but I'm having a difficult time seeing where it's referencing any specific visual iconography from the pulp magazine/radio (also comics, movies, etc.) character The Shadow. That would usually involve specific cues like the slouch hat, hawk-like nose in profile, things like that; or if you could point to a specific magazine cover that he was doing a homage to...
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »

Och positronic, I put up the link to the Tate piece which explains the connection.  And the curator of the GOMA exhibition decided to display this work and captioned it with the explanation.
Some might not enjoy Warhol's work, or parts of it, however that's not why I posted the info.  At the risk of insulting readers, it's simple, it's the connection between the creation of a different form of art which was influenced by or referenced comics, pulps, and pulp radio shows.
As you might not have read the info. on the Tate link, have a look when you can.  I can't improve on arty explanations written by experts.
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 07:55:41 PM »

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »

A note about the forthcoming Paolozzi event:-
https://www.nationalgalleries.org/event/paolozzi-edinburgh-0
The photo of Vulcan doesn't really give an idea of the size and power of the work.  Impressive indeed.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.