in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Is this allowed

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Is this allowed  (Read 11718 times)

zer0zen

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: zer0zen
message icon
Is this allowed
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:48:16 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask you guys a question and hopefully also for your blessing on a project I want to do.

I would like to do a webcomic like Wondermark http://www.wondermark.com but instead of using old woodcuts and such and changing them around. I would use images from the comic scans found on this site. I would probably end up only using the line work from the comics and redrawing a lot of elements and adding them in.

Is this allowed based on the public domain status of the comics and if it is allowed would you guys be cool with me doing that?

The reason I ask is I appreciate all the hard work everyone has put into creating this site and I think it is the polite and RIGHT thing to do to ask first.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Is this allowed
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:18:30 AM »

Zero welcome aboard. And you are very welcome to any of my scans and I am sure the others feel the same. From a public domain standpoint it is surely OK. From my standpoint I think it is just further recognizing the value of the old gems by putting them in a modern format.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:15 AM »

I greatly appreciate you checking first, but at least for my scans please go right ahead.  Let us know once you have something to show!
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »

You are welcome to my scans, as well.  If you can create something new with these ragged beauties, please do :D
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to ask you guys a question and hopefully also for your blessing on a project I want to do.

I would like to do a webcomic like Wondermark http://www.wondermark.com but instead of using old woodcuts and such and changing them around. I would use images from the comic scans found on this site. I would probably end up only using the line work from the comics and redrawing a lot of elements and adding them in.

Is this allowed based on the public domain status of the comics and if it is allowed would you guys be cool with me doing that?

The reason I ask is I appreciate all the hard work everyone has put into creating this site and I think it is the polite and RIGHT thing to do to ask first.

Thanks for asking, zer0zen,
Feel free to do what you like with the scans. That's what Public Domain means. If you want to "pay" for them in karma, just credit this site as the source for the substrate of your art. We look forward to seeing what you come up with. Please keep us posted.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »

If you want to "pay" for them in karma, just credit this site as the source for the substrate of your art.

ahhhh.
Jim, you are certainly a clear thinker.
We'll all be getting those 30,000 yet : o )
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »

I visited the web site.  Wonderful work. Keep it up my friend
ip icon Logged

zer0zen

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:13:53 AM »

Thank you everyone for your support I really appreciate it. A soon as I have some of the strips done I will post them here so you guys can take a look at them first. Oh and Jim you bet I will credit you guys. It's the least I can do.

Again thanks for creating such a great site and sharing all these wonderful comics.

Thanks,
Al
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 03:30:18 AM »

Thank you everyone for your support I really appreciate it. A soon as I have some of the strips done I will post them here so you guys can take a look at them first. Oh and Jim you bet I will credit you guys. It's the least I can do.

Again thanks for creating such a great site and sharing all these wonderful comics.

Thanks,
Al

Al,
the people who REALLY deserve the credit(s) are the folks who created the comics that you'll "reinterpret". Most of the comics from my collection are sent to the scanners with index cards with as many credits as I know. Check it out if you're lifting from JVJ comic. If not, and you ever want to know the identity of the creator of the material you're using, drop me a line with a jpeg of the page. I'll see if I recognize the style.
You can reach me with a Personal Message to JVJ or at jvj@bpib.com.

ip icon Logged

zer0zen

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:40 AM »

Thanks,
Al

If not, and you ever want to know the identity of the creator of the material you're using, drop me a line with a jpeg of the page. I'll see if I recognize the style.
You can reach me with a Personal Message to JVJ or at jvj@bpib.com.

Thanks for the offer Jim BTW on a whim I looked up JVJ Publishing The ImageS series looks very interesting. I am especially interested in the Black and White Annuals. I will probably be picking one up in the near future.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 01:15:41 AM »

Thanks for the offer Jim BTW on a whim I looked up JVJ Publishing The ImageS series looks very interesting. I am especially interested in the Black and White Annuals. I will probably be picking one up in the near future.

Any particular artist/genre in which you are interested, zer0zen? I think you'll be impressed by the reproduction (currently doing screenless stochastic printing - state of the art) and the variety of the selections. I like to think I have interesting taste in these things and my collection is deep enough to allow me to choose material that is both intriguing AND previously un-reprinted. Everything is from source material prior to 1923 (guaranteed in the Public Domain) and carefully restored as best I can.

You can get a preview of each issue - small, but informative - on the website. I'm currently working hard on B&W ImageS #5 - cleaning up some 1600 ppi scans of James Montgomery Flagg images from 1910. Then it's going to be working on some Will Crawford from circa 1900 - from the ORIGINALS I've been loaned by a friend. Gonna be pretty cool - if I do say so myself.

Let me know what you decide.

ip icon Logged

zer0zen

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 02:33:14 AM »

I really don't have a particular artist or genre that I really like but; if I had to pick my favorite genres they are fantasy/surreal, art nouveau, and anything done in pen and ink ( I love line work!). As far as artists go no favorites I think I am a fan of everyone who creates art. Two recent obsessions are Max Ernst and Edward Gorey.

Although I have to say comic book art and artists hold a special place in my heart. I am a big fan of Comic books as a literary and artistic medium.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 02:47:56 AM »

I really don't have a particular artist or genre that I really like but; if I had to pick my favorite genres they are fantasy/surreal, art nouveau, and anything done in pen and ink ( I love line work!). As far as artists go no favorites I think I am a fan of everyone who creates art. Two recent obsessions are Max Ernst and Edward Gorey.

Although I have to say comic book art and artists hold a special place in my heart. I am a big fan of Comic books as a literary and artistic medium.

Well, by definition (pre-1923), comic book artists are pretty much left out, but not entirely. B&W Annual #2 has a couple of pages of art from guys who went on to do comic books: Munson Paddock, Arthur Jameson, George Carlson, etc.

Also, by definition, my tastes run towards comic types. There's art by T.S. Sullivant in every annual, plus guys like Winsor McCay, John R. Neill, Will Crawford, etc. in most of the b&w books. I gravitate often to the guys (and "gals") who influenced many a comic book artist. Try an issue and see what you think.

ip icon Logged

melike

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: melike
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »

This was exactly my idea! In the end i went with something else but yeah, id love to see it when youve got some stuff ready.
ip icon Logged

mergekoray

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: mergekoray
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »

Just on the level of copyright law (for the USA that is) you can even use material that is not in the public domain as long as you make something different from it... of course that's not the exact wording for "derivative works".  The intent is, that if you put a lot of work into someone else's work you "may" be able to sell it.  I say 'may' because you can be sued for anything.   You can also use content if you're critiquing it or making a parody of it (e.g. news, MAD TV/magazine etc.).

I know this is somewhat off your topic, but I thought you might find it interesting.

And, yes, I think what the people here are doing is fantastic.

MK
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »

ZeroZen, it has has always been my belief, as it relates to public domain works, that they are there to build new works based on the public domain ones. i look forward to your creations, please share them with us all.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »

Just on the level of copyright law (for the USA that is) you can even use material that is not in the public domain as long as you make something different from it... of course that's not the exact wording for "derivative works".  The intent is, that if you put a lot of work into someone else's work you "may" be able to sell it.  I say 'may' because you can be sued for anything.   You can also use content if you're critiquing it or making a parody of it (e.g. news, MAD TV/magazine etc.).

I know this is somewhat off your topic, but I thought you might find it interesting.

And, yes, I think what the people here are doing is fantastic.

MK

It's called "Fair Use" :)
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »

It's called "Derivative Work". You can take a PD character and put it in your own stories. As long as you pretend the character didn't exist in any form before, I guess it's okay to do what you want. There's an online comic called Out of Print" that's pretty fun. In it, they mention that as long as you don't mention a previous publisher, you can use the character as you see fit. Of course, this is just a comic strip and not legal advice.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 01:47:06 AM »

I was refering to the use of material not in the public domain which is "fair use" :)
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skybandit
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 01:53:08 AM »

I wondered when more people would realize that this site is (among other, greater things) the biggest source of full-color clip-art on the web.
ip icon Logged

Marconero

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Marconero
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »

A few years ago I downloaded a scanned title from here (The Scarab) and put my own dialogue in (like you guys are mentioning here). Can I post those 8 pages here as a topic? Is that cool?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »

PM Janus he might like the idea
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »

I didn't notice the wink until you mentioned it but it certainly adds to the odd factor
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »

what issue?
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »

A few years ago I downloaded a scanned title from here (The Scarab) and put my own dialogue in (like you guys are mentioning here). Can I post those 8 pages here as a topic? Is that cool?

Sure, have fun.

Janus
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.