in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2504 times)

bourbonbigshot

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bourbonbigshot
message icon
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:49:40 AM »

I am a longtime fan of Golden Age comics, ever since I was a boy and I received Jules Feiffer's "The Great Comic Book Heroes" as a birthday present. I especial love fifties horror and science fiction comics and pulp magazines!

Best Wishes, Bourbonbigshot
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:00:24 AM »

Welcome bbs,
Feiffer's book must be the single biggest influence for drawing people into the GA realm of comics.  Seems that way to me anyways.  I've had my copy for decades as well.  :)
I think we've got a LOT of goodies that will appeal to your tastes.  Just the last couple days Geo has been sharing some precode horror books.

Have fun!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »

Hello bigshot
We have a lot of great stuff here to share. If you happen to have anything to contribute it will be enjoyed by many. If you have nothing to share but an opinion or thank you that OK too.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »

I think we've got a LOT of goodies that will appeal to your tastes.  Just the last couple days Geo has been sharing some precode horror books.

Have fun!
-Yoc

With more coming in each day, (I have 11 of these books left to put up now, not counting the latest one just up'd). Please enjoy your stay with us here.

Geo
ip icon Logged

bourbonbigshot

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »

Thank you all. I don't have many Pre-Code comics; the few that I have are EC and obviously not in the public domain, but I have read plenty of history books and articles about the Golden Age, especially the pre-code horror, and, having exhausted all the EC books, I have wanted to try some of the other publishers, but the books were always out of my price range! I have downloaded some files and have really enjoyed what I have found here. This is a great site, and I am grateful I found it! :) Saw some Wally Wood and Al Williamson and Ditko I never saw before. Any recommendations on books that were on a par with EC?

And I liked the Superior horror books that I read because they were just plain weird!

I do get some comic books that need scanned I will certainly upload them here!

Thanks, BBS!
ip icon Logged

tony210150

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: tony210150
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 04:00:07 PM »

Hi, iam spanishs, my inglishs is not good, i treat to have contact w  people have spanishs comics,special golden and silver age.  Thankyou
ip icon Logged

bourbonbigshot

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »

I really enjoy this site! So many fine comics on here, and not lost to the ravages of time! Looking at the art from the forties and fifties, I have realized there has been a steady decline in comics, and the artistry involved. The art of cartooning has been replaced with photoshop, and as much as I enjoy the program, comic art was at its best when it was done with india ink, as far as I am concerned. I like the use of such programs to restore old work to its former glory, but I still think today's comics are far too glossy and look more like videogames to me.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »

Welcome to the forums BB! There's more 50's horror here than you can shake a shrunken head at!
ip icon Logged

shipshape

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »

Welcome to the forums BBS and Tony.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »

Somewhat ironic in view of their later output but back in the 1950's Harvey Comics gave EC a good run for their money in the Horror stakes.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.