in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comic Book Plus infected?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Comic Book Plus infected?  (Read 1950 times)

rassilon

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: rassilon
message icon
Comic Book Plus infected?
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:16:52 PM »

A few minutes ago, after logging in to CB+ I was greeted with a "Your Chrome browser is out of date", and an automatically downloaded file. It is true that Chrome was outdated (by about 24 hours), but Chrome NEVER does such a thing, nor does it leave files on my desktop when it updates itself.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
Re: Comic Book Plus infected?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 11:50:33 PM »

My AV is also going little mad saying that it's blocked the url: track (dot) amishbrand (dot) com

Seems to be more an issue with an advert displayed on this website rather than CB+ being infected
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »

Sorry to be a while getting back on this but I've been at 2 cons in 2 weekends.
I am having no problems at all opening CB+, either on pc with Vivaldi or Firefox, or on my android tablet.  My av doesn't react, nor do my anti spyware measures.  I do run a couple of ad blockers.
Let us know if the problem persists.
ip icon Logged

dbw1957

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »

For the past month, everytime I log onto CB+ I get a window pop-up telling me Firefox is outdated. It's not.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »

So I'm not the only one! I thought it was my personal computer that was infected. The pop-up is a fake; if you click on the "Update" button it installs malware on your computer.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 05:38:45 AM »

The site is not infected. It is a VERY ANNOYING malware ad, which is visible to some and not others. I have never seen it. After problems with these in the past we only use Google Adsense as they are the securest agency.

I am getting something similar every time I access MSN :(
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Mike123

message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »

FYI - I am also getting this - a message from "Safari update centre" telling me to update and basically blocking my screen to the point i need to close the session.
ip icon Logged

nysclo

message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »

how to fix this nuisance
ip icon Logged

comichron

message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 04:41:26 PM »

Yeah, almost certain that one of your ads lower down the page is loading a corrupted and infected script to Firefox users. It's a bogus "Firefox Update Center" which then loads malware if you click it. If your ad blocker is on, you're not going to see it.

Whatever ad delivery service you're using needs to be alerted. I'd shut down all ads while this is going on.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:44:23 PM by comichron »
ip icon Logged

TheAncientFetisher

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: TheAncientFetisher
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:40:46 PM »

I always get an infected by "trojan" message anytime I come here.  Been happening for months.  I have chrome and Malwarebytes. I have a good security suite so I just ignore it and come anyway.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 08:11:33 AM »

If you use Firefox, use the NOSCRIPT Add-on. most pop-ups and rogue ad sites use Java script. NOSCRIPT will give you a list of all the sites you are connected to while on any given site and you can block the offending site.  That said. I hope using this ad-on doesn't interfere with CB+'s much needed ads.

Cheers.   
ip icon Logged

danhagen

message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »

The malware jumped me too. Upset me because this is such an excellent site. And i'm still getting it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:49:16 PM by danhagen »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 12:08:24 AM »

I just logged on to CB+. I am running a trial version of malwarebytes. This blocks (and identified) annoying scripts like the one we are discussing. It gave me a message that it is blocking a link from track.amishbrand.com.  That may be the offending site. Sometimes with these things you can do a search engine search and find a hint as to what the site is and how to get rid of it.
Cheers. 
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 05:58:26 PM »

I think this may be fixed now. What are people seeing?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.