in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hi All

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 1713 times)

oldcharacter

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: oldcharacter
message icon
Hi All
« on: October 03, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »

I'm a new member in the forum but I've been downloading and (more recently) been collecting some golden age comic books.

I have about 10 titles now of golden age stuff (maybe I'll be able to contribute :) ). Some are in a fair condition, most of them started falling appart while handling and most of them are about to drop their covers...  :'(

So here will be a good place to find people like me to discuss this old stuff.

I also hope to find some help here on how to preserve my old comics (already did a search here with the keywords 'preserve' 'conservation' etc..). I found out a discussion about Britle books but I didn't quite understand what it is. But the idea of putting the comics on plastic folders and be able to flip the pages and read it is a good idea. I was going to buy some plactic bags but after some Google research somebody said it's not good if you don't make holes in the sides so the paper can 'breath'...That I don't really want to do because I won't be able to look at them whenever I want, it will be annoyiing to take them out put them back on I know they are not going to survive too long.

Nice to meet you all.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »

Nice to meet you oc.  Unless your books are really rare they probably have lost most all their monetary value. I have a document feeder on my scanner printer. Books that are too brittle do not work but others I put in the ducument feeder and let it scan away. I do have some brittle coverless Amazing Man comics. They can bring up to $20 even in that condition. JVJ puts his books that have pages separated in document folders. Then put them in a notebook and you can have easy access. Of course if you scan them first you can always have the scans and share them too. You can check here to see if a book has already been scanned before spending time on it. If we only have fiche we would love to have them replaced by paper scans. Remember we can not take Marvel, DC or Street and Smith. Other places will and some here can point you in that direction if you have any of those books. Once again welcome aboard.
ip icon Logged

oldcharacter

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 07:41:09 PM »

Hello Nafstar. Thanks for the response.

Here is the list of my stuff and their condition:

Atlas - most of my Atlas comics have cover damages, fractures and/ or already fell apart but the interiors are still enjoyable if you don't flip them wide open.

-Adventures into terror #8 (cover damaged, interior in good shape)
-Sports Action #6 (in brittle condition)
-Kent Blake Secret Service #3 & #4 (Covers in good shape)
-G.I. Sweethearts #43
-Man Comics (Men at war) #15 (cover in great shape)
-Hedy of Hollywood (great shape, still enjoyable, you can sit back and read without fear)

Gleason

- Crime does not pay (falling apart)

L. Miller (London)
-Marvelman #33 & #34 (Like new!)

DC
-Gang Busters #55 (Like new)

Fawcet

-Bill Battle (good shape)

M.E.

-Mysteries of Scotland Yard #1 (perfect shape)
-Dogface #4 (Brittle edges )

I've seen some of these titles scanned and available to download.
I spent 78.5 dollars for all of them, I still have not much knowledge about pricing.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:43:10 PM by oldcharacter »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »

Hi O.C.,
Welcome to the board.  :)

Please give the FAQ a read.  There's a link to 'Comics Not Allowed' as well as 'Comics Allowed.'
Most of your books aren't allowed.  Only the Gleason, Fawcett and M.E. books would be safe for the site if you were thinking of scanning any.

Doing scans is a great way to give you access to them without doing further damage by reading but the scan process can be dangerous.  Depending on how brittle they are they might not survive the scanning intact.

As for storage options I'm sure others here have better knowledge than I.

For a general idea of prices you might try this site:
http://www.comicspriceguide.com/default.asp

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

oldcharacter

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 12:56:27 AM »

Hi Yoc, thank you for the link, that was very helpful!

The site already have an amazing selection of scans, I'll read the FAQ link.

Thank you.
ip icon Logged

shipshape

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:44:50 AM »

Welcome to the forum OC. I too have very few golden age comics in paper form. I only have seven in paper form. Only one needed to be scanned because the other six were already uploaded to the site by other people.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.