in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Is Sparkman in the Public Domain?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Is Sparkman in the Public Domain?  (Read 3397 times)

Dr. Mindshadow

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Dr. Mindshadow
message icon
Is Sparkman in the Public Domain?
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:04:32 AM »

I'm asking this question because Single Series is or least was owned United Features. Sparkman seems to be one of the more interesting characters that no one has really done anything with despite the fact that they contained interesting story telling elements that would make for interesting reading. However I made some point make another topic in another forum for that. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Is Sparkman in the Public Domain?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:10:58 AM »

I would be really surprised if Sparkman was renewed. The trademark will surely have expired so the character can be used regardless.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »

I believe so, check out his entry at Public Domain Super-Heroes: http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Sparkman

He first appeared in Sparkler Comics II #1 (July 1940), published by United Features.
ip icon Logged

crimsoncrusader

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:38:52 AM »

Sparkman is going to be used by Alex Ross in Project Superpowers and has already been featured as a character sketch in the first volume. Plus, his comics were not renewed. This is another site to check out http://www.geocities.com/cash_gorman/copyright1.html
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »

The best way to check copyright renewal status (for older comics) is the Catalog of Copyright Entries.  I can't get a URL for you on this machine, but any search engine will turn up the scans as the first result.

Find the year of publication and add twenty-eight.  That's the year the owner should have renewed the book.  Pull up the page of that year's CCE scans.  For comics, skip down until you find the periodicals, and it's sorted alphabetically.

Check the page or pages (sometimes there are early year/late year entries), and also check the year prior and year after, just in case.  If you don't find anything, the comic has probably passed into the public domain.  And you'll notice that Single Series (or any likely variant title) is nowhere to be found.

(For other issues in the series, it's tricker, because they sound like strip reprints, which is an entirely different ball of wax.)

But above all, make sure you've done that research yourself (orsit down with an IP lawyer), rather than relying on random amateurs on the Internet.  A discussion like this is a good starting point, but "a bunch of anonymous people and a guy named John on the Internet said it was OK" isn't going to go very far in the event of a lawsuit.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:32:41 PM »

My understanding from these discusions and the difference between copyright and trademark would put Sparkman trade dress as unprotected. He has not been featured anywhere for decades so the trade dress apparance of the character would be trademark free even if the stories were copyright. Am I correct?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »

Yes and no.  You're right in that there wouldn't be a trademark problem, but if the character's first appearance (for example) still had a valid copyright, then your picture would be derivative of, and thus infringing on, it.  The difference between the two is that the owner is allowed to ignore you in the latter and retain copyright, but must defend his own trademark to keep it.

Art always seems to confuse people, so let me try a text-based example where the rules are probably clearer:  Star Trek has been out of the public eye for a while, now, if we ignore the recent movie for the purposes of an otherwise-valid example.  It's been especially long since they've sold anything (excepting the movie) with the "final frontier" monologue, and so that as a franchise trademark might have otherwise elapsed.

However, if your company were to recite it/print it as the voyages of the USS Narfstar, that would be messing around with Paramount's copyright and their lawyers would find you very interesting.

A more technically correct example, if less evocative, would be something like the Casablanca "hill of beans" speech.  Somebody owns it, even if the owner hasn't really used it to sell anything in a long while.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.