in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Aquaman question

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Aquaman question  (Read 2945 times)

comicartwrangler

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: comicartwrangler
message icon
Aquaman question
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:04:01 AM »

is there any site out there that has scans of the original Golden Age Aquaman stories?  I think it ran in More Fun.  If anyone has a link, shoot it to me at grandval@aol.com.  Thanks!
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Aquaman question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »

They're not public domain, so it would obviously be illegal to distribute such things, and with the DCMA written as it is, even discussion of where such things might be found (cough--if anywhere) could cause problems for the site.

If I were going to start looking for information on the stories, however (rather than scans, I mean), I'd start here:

http://aqua.gjovaag.com/

Sort of Aquaman central for a VERY long time.
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:58 PM »

is there any site out there that has scans of the original Golden Age Aquaman stories?  I think it ran in More Fun.  If anyone has a link, shoot it to me at grandval@aol.com.  Thanks!

Hi wrangler,

Aquaman's first story was his origin episode, which appeared in More Fun #73.  I know you were asking about the availability of scans, but I thought you might be interested to know that DC reprinted More Fun #73 back in 2001 as part of their Millennium Editions series.  Finding a copy in decent condition shouldn't be that hard or expensive, and it would be a start, at least.

(Of course, there are always the Golden Age Aquaman Archive hardcover volumes, too...if you have that kind of dough...)

Cheers,

DHFH
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 03:18:20 AM »

The only Aquaman Archives is Silver Age
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:50:54 AM »

The only Aquaman Archives is Silver Age

Yep, you're right John, I stand corrected.

You'd think they'd realize the value of all those GA stories and be getting them reprinted too...but then, let's not forget who we're talking about...

Anyway, there is still the More Fun #73 Millennium Edition with the original origin story, at least!

DHFH
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:42:23 AM »

That's right, I also meant to mention that they reprinted More Fun #101 as a Millennium Edition, too...with another GA Aquaman story in it!

DHFH
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 05:16:28 AM »

That would be #103 -- the first Superboy issue, I assume.  In any case Aquaman didn't appear in Adventure until #103 so it couldn't have been earlier.
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »

That would be #103 -- the first Superboy issue, I assume.  In any case Aquaman didn't appear in Adventure until #103 so it couldn't have been earlier.

Nope, they did a Millennium Edition reprint of this issue, More Fun #101:

http://www.comics.org/issue/4115/

As you can see, it not only had an Aquaman story, but was also packed with such famous features as Green Arrow, Johnny Qiuck, Superboy [apparently the introduction of the concept] , and the final GA appearace of the Spectre!

DHFH
ip icon Logged

Guardian7

message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:52:21 PM »

I have a coverless issue of Secret Origins vol.2 #7 Oct-Nov 1974 which features that More Fun Comics #73 (Nov 1941) origin of Aquaman... It also has the Origin of Robin as it's main feature (From Detective Comics #38 (Apr 1940).

I know his Scientist Father is mentioned in More Fun #80 (June, 1942).

I honestly don't know much more than that. It is the only Golden Age appearence I have of Aquaman and until the (long ago now) issues of All Star Squadron I wasn't even aware that there was a Golden Age Aquaman until I stumbled upon this in a 50 cent box at a yard sale.

I am sure the issue of Secret Origins #7 wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg if you could find it.

Sorry if this doesn't help much.

G7
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.