in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Upload by dshaneb

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Upload by dshaneb  (Read 1619 times)

dshaneb

message icon
Upload by dshaneb
« on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »

I uploaded the pulp magazine All Around Weekly #4 a few weeks ago, but I have yet to see it on the site.
I am not an established scanner and it was my first attempt. I had not seen this pulp anywhere and wanted to preserve it for all. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Shane (dshaneb)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Upload by dshaneb
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »

I have had a look and I do not see this. I also rings no bells. If possible could you upload this again?
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »

Okay, I think it went through this time.  8)

To all the professional scanners--please feel free to improve upon the file if you can. I just wanted this pulp that I've never seen anywhere else, to be available and not be lost to time.

Thanks,
Shane
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »

It went through and has now been approved and is available for reading.

Thanks a lot.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »

The title and publisher may need to be changed. I couldn't find "All Around Weekly" as a title on the site, so I placed it in what I thought was the generic category of Adventure, which was an actual title name. Adventure is also listed as the publisher, but that was Frank Tousey. Sorry for the confusion, this was my first upload.

Thanks for approving it and placing it on the website. :)

Shane
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »

MarkWarner or movielover, could I get a new category created for this book? All Around Weekly was a dime novel that I have now discovered ran for 72 issues: https://dimenovels.org/Series/41/Show .

I scanned this one (#4) myself, but I am in contact with a librarian from Villanova University that has scans of other issues. They have already placed a link on their site to this book here: https://dimenovels.org/Item/42892/Show (Click the ComicBook+ link).

They only have preservation level scans at 400 DPI TIFF format on their website: https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Item/vudl:289364

Demian, the librarian, has told me they will freely share these files under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike, so they can be freely reformatted and redistributed; they just ask that we give credit (and preferably a link) back to the original source so people know where the images came from. I have added this link in the comments section below book 4 already. I am working with Demian to get a bulk download of their issues for this title and I plan on converting them to first jpgs and then zip them as CBZ files to upload here.

They have many other books and scans in their collection.

Thanks,
Shane
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »

It's created here https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3423

It's in Pulp Fiction, anything more is outside my experience and I don't fell like crashing the site.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »

Thanks, movielover!  8)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 08:44:46 AM »

I made a slight tweak and removed the Dime Novel Section. The whole of pulp has dime novels dotted around some in genre categories, some just in titles. So (at least for the moment) will leave as is.
The all All Around Weekly section is there hanging off Pulp ... when it is populated may move it dependent on content

Really great news about the other books!! We'll certainly give full attribution for them!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »

I finally managed to get my php downloader working with Demian Katz of Villanova University's help. I donated the All Around Weekly #4 dime novel that I scanned above to the library. Demian has scanned it in high grade TIFFs, and they are on the site now in the All Around Weekly category:
https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Item/vudl:289364

I now have the other books downloaded as jpgs and will work on making cbz files of them soon. As long as we give attribution, Demian is fine with us using them. I can do the same with other books in the future that are missing here, so everyone, please look around Villanova's archive, and if you find books that you want in cbz format to be added here, please let me know.

The publisher entry can be changed on this one to Frank Tousey instead of All Around Weekly, as he published all 72 dime novels in this series.

Thanks,
D. Shane Burton

P.S. Demian just acquired two more of these to be added in the future.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:34:06 PM by dshaneb »
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »

I have just uploaded nine All Around Weekly "dime novels." The CBZs uploaded were made from jpgs downloaded by permission of Demian Katz from Villanova University's Falvey Memorial Library. The original high-res TIFFs for the All Around Weekly series are archived here: https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Item/vudl:289364

I have added "VU scan" to the end of the cbz name to indicate their origin.

I uploaded issues 04, 08, 10, 16, 44, 58, 60, 62, and 67. Please remove my original scan of number 4 already on the site. Demian re-scanned the book after I donated it.

I discovered an issue while trying to upload 59, which was that a few of the issues I downloaded had larger than usual jpgs, creating too large a file size and 59 was rejected. Number 16 has the large jpgs, but it was small enough that it uploaded anyway. If you can reject number 16, I will re-size and re-zip the jpgs for re-upload at a more reasonable size. I have issues 59 and 72 that I need to size the jpgs and re-zip before I can upload them. I hope to do that in the next few days.

Everyone, please let me know if there are any other books in Villanova's archive that are of interest here.

Thanks,
Shane

Edit #1 - I fixed issue 59 and have just uploaded it. I see 16 was approved. If 16 can be deleted, I will size the jpgs and re-upload the file in a smaller size comparable to the others. Thanks.

Edit #2 - I fixed issue 72 and have just uploaded it. I will fix and upload 16 when the first one is deleted.

Edit #3 - Issues 59, 72, and the sized version of 16 have been uploaded and are pending approval. I have located number 28 and I'm attempting to get permission to add it here as well.

Edit #4 - Issue 28 has been uploaded and is pending approval.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:16:02 AM by dshaneb »
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »

paw broon has now deleted the extra, large version of 16 and then approved the regular-sized version and all the others, so they should be available now! :)

I have downloaded the raw jpgs for available issues of two other nickel weeklies. The titles are Brave and Bold, which you can find of Villanova University's website: https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Item/vudl:289113, and Motor Stories: https://digital.library.villanova.edu/Item/vudl:300746. Please read them there while I work on building cbz files we can read here and with comic book reading programs.

paw broon, could I get a category added in the same place as All Around Weekly was added for Brave and Bold and for Motor Stories? I will need these to select when I start uploading issues.

Thanks, and everyone please and let me know if there are any other desired titles on Villanova's website.

Shane
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »

Great Stuff. Both Titles look really interesting. Thanks.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »

You're welcome, The Australian Panther! :)

Demian Katz just added All Around Weekly 07 to the Villanova University collection. He contacted me with the information on how to download it. The jpgs were sized where I didn't need to do anything but zip it and upload it. It is now pending approval.

Shane

Edit 1: I see it has been quickly approved. Thanks if that was you, paw broon, as I see you online. I've added the comment Demian asked me to add to all of these. Demian says he has a rougher copy of #9 that he will work on scanning in within the next few weeks.

If anyone has any leads on others in this series, let me know.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:06:34 PM by dshaneb »
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 11:34:31 PM »

I downloaded Eh! 5, flipped all the upside-down pages, re-zipped it, and re-uploaded it. That should keep it from driving everyone crazy.

Shane
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 02:37:45 AM »

I have begun sizing the Brave and Bold nickel weeklies. I have uploaded issues 86, 109, and 127 so far. They are just awaiting approval. We have a six-year-old scan of 109, but the one I uploaded is actual scans of the book interior.

I will work on converting the other eight issues when time permits.

Shane

Edit 1: Brave and Bold 266 is now uploaded and pending approval.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:04:17 AM by dshaneb »
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 09:20:19 PM »

All the previously uploaded books are now available. Thanks to whoever approved them! :)

I've found that we have one nickel weekly of The Liberty Boys of "76" on the site. I've found nine other issues at Villanova's library. I have downloaded them with permission, and I will work on converting them. Three were of a size where I could directly zip them, so I will upload those tonight when I get home.

Shane

Edit 1: I uploaded The Liberty Boys of 76 issues 102, 112, and 120. They are now pending approval.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:06:40 AM by dshaneb »
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 11:49:22 PM »

It's in a bit rougher shape than the others, but Villanova University has scanned a copy of All Around Weekly 09. Demian let me know it was there so I could harvest it. It downloaded with jpgs I didn't need to size, so I've just uploaded it to the site. It is pending approval.

Shane
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 05:10:20 AM »

I haven't been around since late 2019, but I re-discovered my older files that still needed conversion and upload. I familiarized myself with the process again and sized, zipped, and uploaded Brave and Bold Weekly #363, which is pending approval.

Shane
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.