in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,827 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 211 - Schoolgirls' Picture Library 006 - Prisoner of The Pagoda

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 211 - Schoolgirls' Picture Library 006 - Prisoner of The Pagoda  (Read 2099 times)

movielover

• Administrator

Going with a new upload, from the UK this week

Schoolgirls' Picture Library 006 - Prisoner of The Pagoda, located here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=74282
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 211 - Schoolgirls' Picture Library 006 - Prisoner of The Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 01:15:24 AM »

I was wondering how long it would be before one of these came up.  :)

Prisoner In The Pagoda - Not bad.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 11:13:56 PM »

The artwork is a bit bland as far as the figures go, they seldom show much movement, more like fashion drawings, but technically well done.
The drawing of scenery and architecture is great, with plenty of detail and perspective and good proportions, though a little heavy on the inking. Interiors are also well detailed.
ip icon Logged

Johnny L. Wilson

message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 02:29:41 AM »

I thought that this was a very interesting reading experience. I remember being too old not to have been embarrassed when I discovered that so many UK comics were black and white publications. In the U.S., I was only used to line art in the newspapers and black and white art in MAD magazine and some of those oversized Warren comics. So, I really appreciated reading this volume.

I love the pen and ink style with cross-hatching and I was surprised at some of the details (I would swear that one of the fish in the aquarium looked like a "fighting fish." Nonetheless, I did have an observation on the art. At times, such as the lower left panel on page 26, Brian looked so androgynous as to be female.

It must have been the era, but I did find it strange that the young woman would climb trees, walls, and the sides of houses in a dress. Somehow, that didn't really ring true to me.

I enjoyed the story, though. I had to suspend my disbelief a lot to think that those pedi-cabs beat the doctor's car back to the house or that the two could hire a carriage so handily, but I liked the clue on the kite and even the Scooby-Doo phrasing in the bottom left panel of p. 65. I hadn't realized when the Scooby kids used it in the cartoons that there was a history behind that phrase. I would wager we'd find it in other places, too.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 05:40:37 AM »

Not the greatest Schoolgirl Library story, but a pleasant read with good artwork. As Captain Audio pointed out, the posing and choice of camera angles aren't very exciting. The draughtsmanship is good overall, though, and the backgrounds are well-done. Brian's thick black upper lips resemble lipstick and contribute to his feminine appearance.

My problem with the story is that it takes so long for the kids to figure out the Doctor is a fake. Even though they haven't met the man before, he acts strangely enough that Eve and Brian should have guessed right away that something was amiss.

One technical complaint: I hate the way they put the balloons at the bottom of the panel, obscuring the art, rather than in dead space at the top as in most modern comics. Like in many British comics, the lettered balloons appear to have been pasted onto the completed artwork.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:43:44 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 12:28:47 AM »

Good to be back.  I see movielover has taken a well deserved holiday from hosting the Reading Group.  Will it be an on-going feature or has the Reading Group ended? 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:15:14 AM »

Good to have you back. I just wondering about older absent members just before I read your post.
About the Reading Group, I was wondering the same thing. 
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »

I thought that this was a very interesting reading experience. I remember being too old not to have been embarrassed when I discovered that so many UK comics were black and white publications. In the U.S., I was only used to line art in the newspapers and black and white art in MAD magazine and some of those oversized Warren comics. So, I really appreciated reading this volume.

I love the pen and ink style with cross-hatching and I was surprised at some of the details (I would swear that one of the fish in the aquarium looked like a "fighting fish." Nonetheless, I did have an observation on the art. At times, such as the lower left panel on page 26, Brian looked so androgynous as to be female.

It must have been the era, but I did find it strange that the young woman would climb trees, walls, and the sides of houses in a dress. Somehow, that didn't really ring true to me.

I enjoyed the story, though. I had to suspend my disbelief a lot to think that those pedi-cabs beat the doctor's car back to the house or that the two could hire a carriage so handily, but I liked the clue on the kite and even the Scooby-Doo phrasing in the bottom left panel of p. 65. I hadn't realized when the Scooby kids used it in the cartoons that there was a history behind that phrase. I would wager we'd find it in other places, too.

First, I must say that I enjoyed the artwork(inking style).  I think it is reasonably realistic, although I agree that there isn't much movement shown in "action scenes".  The "treasure" being thrown in doesn't seem to add anything to the story, except as a reason for the nasty cousin to want to get rid of Dr. Foo.  I might have chosen a different reason.  I would have made the false doctor more dangerous, more willing to use violence.  I would have included more suspense by adding an imminent danger to both the real Doctor, AND a similar threat to the children.

As to the black and white format, we Canadians are well used to that, as all of our own comic books were black and white (except the covers) during World War II.  I specially liked "Dizzy Don" despite the stiffness and weak portrayal of movement of the characters.  I agree that in some poses, the boy looked effeminate.  Was the artist a female?  I also agree that it would have been difficult for the girl to climb the trees and walls with such a long dress.

As to the pedi-cabs:  I spent 20 years working for The UN in The 3rd World (Africa, The Middle East and Far East).  In the crowded ancient portions of old city centers it is very crowded.  Often, traffic is snarled and completely stopped for long periods by animal herders with their animals, and old, broken down vehicles, that conk out, and can't be moved.  During a festival such as in this story, the streets of the centre are choked, and cars and trucks cannot move.  But narrow vehicles such as bicycles, motorcycles, rikshas. and pedi-cars can get through, even when the wider vehicles are stopped for hours.  So, I could easily believe the kids beat the false doctor back to the house with time to spare.

About the Scooby Doo reference:  I worked for Hanna Barbera Feature Animation for awhile, and also The Cartoon Network.  My code phrase for our security check to enter the building in off hours was "Scooby Doo".  Although I never saw more than a few seconds of a "Scooby Doo" cartoon, and never read "Scooby Doo" comic books, I am curious to know to what phrase you refer.  Page 65 of the story is the advert after the last page of the story (64).  So, I couldn't find the phrase.  Maybe you wrote the wrong page number?  If so, please correct it for us.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 06:28:04 PM »

Good to be back.  I see movielover has taken a well deserved holiday from hosting the Reading Group.  Will it be an on-going feature or has the Reading Group ended?

Wow!  I hope THAT isn't the case.  I just got here.  I would vote and work hard to keep it going.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »

I'm bumping this back up to the top, to find out if The Reading Group is going to continue.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »

I believe Johnny was referring to page 65 as shown on the dropdown over the story. It starts counting from the cover which puts it two ahead of the books numbering which starts ahead of the first page of the story.

The quote on page 63 (65) sounds similar to the Scooby Doo show's recurring villain rant, "I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 10:12:37 PM »

I believe Johnny was referring to page 65 as shown on the dropdown over the story. It starts counting from the cover which puts it two ahead of the books numbering which starts ahead of the first page of the story.

The quote on page 63 (65) sounds similar to the Scooby Doo show's recurring villain rant, "I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

Thanks!  Having never watched the series (because I HATE the angular Hanna-Barbera TV limited non-fluid, choppy animation, and was bored by their extremely juvenile story plots, I had no way of knowing that.  I did have several colleagues from feature animation who worked at times for Hanna-Barbera TV and Filmation, but I wouldn't have enjoyed that work.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »

I never cared for Scooby-Doo myself*, but I know lots of people who do gags on the villain reveal.

*Except for the recent-ish Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated which had a very cynical tone that appealed to my black heart.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 03:18:22 PM »

So, now that we have several posters here, can anyone tell me if new books to read will start being posted again?  Or is that practice now defunct?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:32:29 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 08:18:42 PM »

If no one objects, I'd be happy to take a stab at the Reading Group's rotating leadership.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »

If no one objects, I'd be happy to take a stab at the Reading Group's rotating leadership.

That's alright with me.  I'm looking forward to what you'll choose.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »

Seconded. Probably a good idea to give MovieLover a courtesy call tho!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »

Panther, you are quite correct. In my eagerness to see the Reading Group continue I barged in without considering the etiquette of the situation. I publicly apologize for my lack of civility. I've sent movielover a PM.
ip icon Logged

Johnny L. Wilson

message icon
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 02:59:50 AM »

As to the pedi-cabs:  I spent 20 years working for The UN in The 3rd World (Africa, The Middle East and Far East).  In the crowded ancient portions of old city centers it is very crowded.  Often, traffic is snarled and completely stopped for long periods by animal herders with their animals, and old, broken down vehicles, that conk out, and can't be moved.  During a festival such as in this story, the streets of the centre are choked, and cars and trucks cannot move.  But narrow vehicles such as bicycles, motorcycles, rikshas. and pedi-cars can get through, even when the wider vehicles are stopped for hours.  So, I could easily believe the kids beat the false doctor back to the house with time to spare.

About the Scooby Doo reference:  I worked for Hanna Barbera Feature Animation for awhile, and also The Cartoon Network.  My code phrase for our security check to enter the building in off hours was "Scooby Doo".  Although I never saw more than a few seconds of a "Scooby Doo" cartoon, and never read "Scooby Doo" comic books, I am curious to know to what phrase you refer.  Page 65 of the story is the advert after the last page of the story (64).  So, I couldn't find the phrase.  Maybe you wrote the wrong page number?  If so, please correct it for us.  Thanks.

Thanks for the insight about the pedi-cabs, Robb. I'm not the lightest guy in the world and so, when my wife and I hopped on one and our cousins hopped on another (while we were in Wenzhou, China), the poor fellow chauffeuring us wasn't trying to set any speed records. So, I guess I had a warped view.

The Scooby Doo reference was at the bottom of p. 63 in the comic book's enumeration, but the PDF/scan enumeration includes the unnumbered covers 1-4, I think. It said page 65 of 68. BUT, at the ed of nearly every Scooby Doo episode that I can remember, the phrase when the villain is unmasked/exposed was, "...and I'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for these meddling [or nosy, or interfering] kids." This one had something of the same idea with "interfering." Sorry I took so long to reply. I was truly amused that this was your password at HB.
ip icon Logged

BlackCat

message icon
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 09:16:03 PM »

I thought the artwork was very good. I was impressed with how much trouble the artist had taken to get the details of the Chinese location right - by which I mean the architecture, street scenes, interior decoration, rickshaws, clothing, etc. Although I was impressed with the quality of his draughtsmanship, I also did think that his style was somewhat conventional for the period. And the same was true of the script.

I don't think there was enough of interest going on in the story to fully justify its 68 page length. A story of this kind could have been wrapped up in twenty pages. Nevertheless, the artwork and the lettering were good, and I think that overall it was a well produced comic.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:54:20 PM by BlackCat »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.