in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Why are the files in cbz

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Why are the files in cbz  (Read 5473 times)

eopithecus

message icon
Why are the files in cbz
« on: September 07, 2019, 08:40:05 PM »

Why are the files compressed in such an obscure format? and how do you open them?
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Why are the files in cbz
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »

It's not really obscure.

You need a viewer like CDdisplay to view them
ip icon Logged

eopithecus

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 06:01:48 AM »

i dont want to view the files I want to download and unzip them. I have been an internet user since 1991 so cbz is very obscure if I haven't heard of it in almost 30 years. However I do appreciate the help.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »

Here is a little info on these files.
https://www.howtogeek.com/291936/what-are-cbr-and-cbz-files-and-why-are-they-used-for-comics/

2 things (and i quote)
1/ [Since we
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »

" I have been an internet user since 1991 so cbz is very obscure if I haven't heard of it in almost 30 years."

I found a freeware CBZ viewer within days of finding this board years ago.
These are usually very easy to install and use.
That was two Tower meltdowns ago so I haven't got one installed on this PC yet.

I only used it for files found on other sites.
ip icon Logged

eopithecus

message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 03:22:12 AM »

It's not really obscure.

You need a viewer like CDdisplay to view them

I downloaded the file and got some file crap I didn't want to download put on my hard dive
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 08:10:33 AM »

Shame you're having all this trouble, however there are other comic readers available.  Comicrack works well:-

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/
Give it a go.  But if you prefer or would like to try reading on an android tablet (apologies, I know very little about I pads), try perfect viewer.  Arguably the best reader app.

The point is that this is the way digital comics have developed and .cbz and .cbr are industry standards. pdf files are available on some sites but pdf readers are a bit clumsy for comics on desktops and the best way to read pdf files is on android with the perfect viewer pdf viewer add on.
Hope this helps.  Let us know how you get on, please.
ip icon Logged

dshaneb

message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 09:08:47 PM »

It's simple--if you want a zip file instead of the cbz file, just highlight the file, right-click and chose "Rename," and then rename the extension to zip instead of cbz. You, of course, have to have the Windows settings so they're showing your file extensions. The file Superbook_01.cbz would be renamed to Superbook_01.zip if you've renamed it correctly. A little box will pop up a warning when you change it, just hit the okay to change it anyway. You can then open the zip normally and extract all the jpgs.

I just did this to repair the Eh! 5 book. Once I renamed it from cbz to zip, I unzipped it, went into the jpgs and used the Windows Paint program to 180 degree rotate all the upside-down jpgs to the right direction and saved them that way. I then re-zipped the file including the fixed jpgs, added "fixed" to the name and changed the extension back to cbz. I uploaded it, and this is now the file on the site for that book.

If you come across cbr comic files, simply rename their extension to rar and extract them with a normal rar extracting program to get the jpgs.

Hope this helps,
Shane
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:11:05 PM by dshaneb »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 01:09:10 AM »

Shane,
even simpler,
you can use this converter, which I have posted about before.
https://www.online-convert.com/
Even better if you use the Firefox browser you can look in the add-ons and install it in the browser.
Cheers!     
ip icon Logged

joelglass

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »

In Windows right click on the file, select rename and add one of the following: .CBR, .CBZ, .RAR, or .ZIP Hit enter. Then try reading it again with any winzip or Apples Version of zip

so if file is clowncomic.cbz -- just right click and change  last three letters to zip - must have period before zip

clowncomic.zip

Most common is .zip for standard user - reason I show .zip

I don't know the exact reason for the specific extension  CBZ  - However with archiving and Public Domain Clearance "National and World" library consortions have certain extensions rules - so everyone is on the same page as far as quality. All high res digital photos from Archive.org, University High-Res are  .jp2 - sometimes referred to as .JPG2000 ,  They are not easy to open without the right tool
.jp2000 is a more efficient compression and better quality than a TIFF and .tiff are monster files-  However it didn't takeoff like .jpg -  Kinda of like Beta-max VS VCR -  Beta was better quality but VCR took the mass market lead. 

bottom line -
Replace file extension to .zip  after the file name and delete the letters cbz
You will see the icon change to a .zip icon. double click it or right click it and your options to open folder and images will be there - If you only see file names and tiny  icons- right click the icon and choose view as large thumbnails - all filenames will now preview at a  good size to preview and saves the tedious task of opening ever single page of comic / magazine full size to view the files.

And yes my grammar and sentence  structure is deplorable - I'm aware of it. So you grammar police - go easy on me - I was a C student.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:16:10 PM by joelglass »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 03:27:00 AM »

I'm in my mid 70s, and learning the new tecnologies has come very hard to me.  Can someone walk me through  solving my problem?

I have scanned comic books to contribute to this website and one other.  The other site requires that all donated comic book scans must be .cbr or .cbz files.  My files are just individual .jpg files, which I placed into zip files on my MAC desktop. 

I know that WinZip can make .cbz files.  Is there a version of Winzip that works on a Mac?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 04:19:29 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »

Robb, I think you will find that the converter I mentioned earlier in this thread will convert JPG filles to cbr or cbz files.

I hope that helps.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 08:28:49 PM »

Robb, I think you will find that the converter I mentioned earlier in this thread will convert JPG filles to cbr or cbz files.

I hope that helps.

I checked that out, but the closest tool they have to what I want is converting archives (zip files) to  .TAR files (.TARBz2).  But the other websiite to which I want to contribute REQUIRES  the files to be .cbr or .cbz ONLY.  And I had heard that Comic Book Plus has the same requirements, although maybe they'll accept .TAR (I'm not sure).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:37:49 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 03:06:01 AM »

Robb, try this. Hope it works
Software that can be used for conversion of jpg file type to cbr format.
You can create CBR comic book archives manually, if you simply rename your .jpg files to a .001, .002, .003 etc. sequence, compress it using any RAR program and rename it to CBR. You can even find programs that can automate and speedup the creation of these comic books.

Comes from here.
https://www.file-extensions.org/convert-jpg-to-cbr

Interestingly enough, to my surprise,while there are converters that convert from #CBR to JPG, but not the other way around. An opening there for someone.   

Also try this link on the above site.
https://www.file-extensions.org/article/creating-comic-ebooks

Let me know how it turns out!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 04:41:19 PM »

Robb, try this. Hope it works
Software that can be used for conversion of jpg file type to cbr format.
You can create CBR comic book archives manually, if you simply rename your .jpg files to a .001, .002, .003 etc. sequence, compress it using any RAR program and rename it to CBR. You can even find programs that can automate and speedup the creation of these comic books.

Comes from here.
https://www.file-extensions.org/convert-jpg-to-cbr

Interestingly enough, to my surprise,while there are converters that convert from #CBR to JPG, but not the other way around. An opening there for someone.   

Also try this link on the above site.
https://www.file-extensions.org/article/creating-comic-ebooks

Let me know how it turns out!

Thanks.  Yes, I had seen that before, but didn't believe just re-naming the files would automatically put them in the different format that the website managers want and require.  Otherwise, why would they need them to be in the different format (if it is only different in name, but not substance?)

I will try that, and then do the upload, and also ask the moderator if that is acceptable.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 08:25:16 PM »

I checked that out, but the closest tool they have to what I want is converting archives (zip files) to  .TAR files (.TARBz2).  But the other websiite to which I want to contribute REQUIRES  the files to be .cbr or .cbz ONLY.  And I had heard that Comic Book Plus has the same requirements, although maybe they'll accept .TAR (I'm not sure).

Hi Robb,
I'm one of the staff over on DCM.  I hope I'm not stepping on any toes replying to you here.

Truly, you can rename a Zip file to a CBZ and it will work in a comic reader application.  There's no magic or external conversion sites needed.  A Rar file renamed to CBR will also work in the same reader.  Honest.

BUT the internal Mac application adds some extra files that can bugger things for some PC users.  There are some Mac apps that will make a 'clean' zip file on a Mac.  DCM suggests using ZemuZip which was free or $1 in the past but I see today is $5.  I'm on a PC and don't know if another application out there does the same.

For Mac OSX 10.5 up go here for YemuZip for the latest version: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12350/yemuzip
or here: http://www.yellowmug.com/yemuzip/

If you can only make a zip file made with the native Mac program please note it in the description and someone on the staff for the sites can fix it for you.  I've had to fix a few files for people, it's not a huge deal but it helps a lot if you let us know the problem exists when you upload it.

BTW, over on DCM you can upload files in either zip/cbz, or rar/cbr formats.  DCM just prefers cbz if possible.  I think it's the same here on CB+.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And equally important to remember when uploading to either site:
Be sure to avoid special characters in your file names.  ie: don't use any of the following in a file name:
` ~ ! @ $ % ^ & * < > ? ; : '

Good luck,
-Yoc
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:47:13 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »

Thanks for the advice and tips.
ip icon Logged

cullybarbosa

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: cullybarbosa
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 03:16:11 AM »

I'm a little confused.  Comics posted here, I just read onscreen.  I've never had to download or unzip or anything, unless I want to grab a story for my blog project.

On the other hand... I recently BOUGHT an entire series from Mexico on DVD, "JOYAS DE LA MITOLOGIA" (Jewels Of Mythology).  522 comics on one disc.  YOW!!!

I quickly found that the set was stored as CBR files.  I had 2 choices.  Copy each one and unzip them (using my 7-Zip-7 program).  OR... the "text" file reccomended I get a "GonVisor" program, whicb was free.  I looked into it, and did it.

GonVisor turned out to be MUCH more easy to use and MUCH MORE flexible in how you can view files, at different visual sizes, easy to jump to various pages instantly, etc.  And on top of that... it saves me having to dump a TON of stuff onto my HARD DRIVE.  I just leave them on the disc and look at them from there using the GonVisor viewing program!

...especially as I CAN'T read Spanish!   ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:18:55 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 04:15:18 AM »

Interesting one prof.
I was going to suggest that CB+ be added to the list on this page, 
http://www.gonvisor.com/toolslinks/

But it is already listed under what I assume is the older link - which seems also to be still active - Who knew?
Golden Age Comics:
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/
That said, some of these links are outdated, indicating that the program has been around  for quite a while.
Which, I think, is a positive implication.   

Comics posted here, I just read on-screen.  I've never had to download or unzip or anything, unless I want to grab a story for my blog project.

Yes, CB+ is set up for you to be able to do that while you are online on the site. It's only when you download, store and then want to read the books that you need a reader.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:07:17 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 03:35:55 PM »

I've been using an old program called "SuperJPG" for more than 20 years now.  About 15 years back, they decided to go out of business, saying it was too much trouble to try to update their program to work with the newer versions of Windows.  All existing customers were given free reign to use or copy the program as much as possible.  They just warned you not to lose your activation code (heh).

I use the thing CONSTANTLY while working on art, or just thumbing thru photos, etc.  I much prefer it over the built-in program, Windows Photo Viewer (although that does have some interesting features).  But the GonVisor thing, which I've only had open a couple times so far, seems infinitely better for reading old comics.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.