in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Archive Editions

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Archive Editions  (Read 7821 times)

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
Archive Editions
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:11 PM »

I've been playing around with compiling character appearances into a single file. For example, I downloaded ''Fantastic Comics'' issues with Stardust, the Super-Wizard and put all of his stories together. Would anyone be interested in having something like this uploaded? It's not complete (i.e. it's missing whatever issues of Fantastic aren't on the website), but it's mostly there.

I have the Duke of Darkness in all his three appearance glory.

A few other very incomplete one's I wouldn't foist on anyone.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Archive Editions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 02:49:31 AM »

Hi Roy,
Several such collections are already hosted on GAC:
Phabox and myself already have done a couple here- 
The Phantom Lady Archive v1 and Wildfire Collections are in the Quality section. 
http://tinyurl.com/yb3hh8j  (bottom of the page)

A collection of Scribbly's Dell appearances is here - http://tinyurl.com/yabejz3
and The BingBang Buster by Wolverton Collection is here - http://tinyurl.com/ybebvhn

You might want to wait a while before sharing the Stardust collection.  Fiche scans for Fantastic14 (with paper scans for the Stardust story!) are due to appear on GAC at some point in the future For Sure!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 05:39:08 AM »

I really need to update the Scribbly file; I want to a) rescan all my pages, and b) include the missing pages from the early version.  I'll get to it one of these years soon...
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »

Hi Roy,
The Phantom Lady Archive v1 and Wildfire Collections are in the Quality section. 

A collection of Scribbly's Dell appearances is here - http://tinyurl.com/yabejz3
and The BingBang Buster by Wolverton Collection is here - http://tinyurl.com/ybebvhn

You might want to wait a while before sharing the Stardust collection.  Fiche scans for Fantastic14 (with paper scans for the Stardust story!) are due to appear on GAC at some point in the future For Sure!

-Yoc

I could upload the Duke of Darkness "Collection" if that's okay. I'm not sure how to credit the scanners/etc. since I did nothing, should it just say by goldenage.co.uk or GAC?
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »

Would anyone be interested in having something like this uploaded?

I think this is a worthwhile idea.  It was nice to get the Phantom Lady stories without having to download all the comics which don't always contain stories I'm interested in.  For characters like The Duke of Darkness, Yellowjacket or Captain Wizard, it would make life easier for fans who just want to read those stories and may not be aware of what titles to look for.

I know there are server issues right now, but might I suggest a special section for these collections so that it's easier for new members to know that they exist.  There's a lot of files here so it's easy for something to get lost in the shuffle and go unnoticed, especially for people who may not be as knowledgable when it comes to Golden Age comics, publishers & characters.

I'm not sure how to credit the scanners/etc. since I did nothing, should it just say by goldenage.co.uk or GAC?

Perhaps if it's not too much trouble, maybe you could ad a text file that states what comics the appearances are from.  That way, if a member wants to check-out the original file/comics, they'll know where to look.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »

Would anyone be interested in having something like this uploaded?

I think this is a worthwhile idea.  It was nice to get the Phantom Lady stories without having to download all the comics which don't always contain stories I'm interested in.  For characters like The Duke of Darkness, Yellowjacket or Captain Wizard, it would make life easier for fans who just want to read those stories and may not be aware of what titles to look for.

I know there are server issues right now, but might I suggest a special section for these collections so that it's easier for new members to know that they exist.  There's a lot of files here so it's easy for something to get lost in the shuffle and go unnoticed, especially for people who may not be as knowledgable when it comes to Golden Age comics, publishers & characters.

I'm not sure how to credit the scanners/etc. since I did nothing, should it just say by goldenage.co.uk or GAC?

Perhaps if it's not too much trouble, maybe you could ad a text file that states what comics the appearances are from.  That way, if a member wants to check-out the original file/comics, they'll know where to look.

I'll have a look. I included the comic cover for each of them for reference.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:22:02 AM »

Hi Roy,
Glad to hear you included the covers.  Now Roy, if you uploaded it to the UPLOAD FILES link on the site you'll have to wait to see it on the site.  This is the problem I discussed in the yellow link above - http://tinyurl.com/yj6kwse

So anything you'd like on the site I recommend uploading them to MEDIAFIRE (it's free) and posting your link here.

Thanks!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 03:14:10 AM »

Hi Roy,
Glad to hear you included the covers.  Now Roy, if you uploaded it to the UPLOAD FILES link on the site you'll have to wait to see it on the site.  This is the problem I discussed in the yellow link above - http://tinyurl.com/yj6kwse

So anything you'd like on the site I recommend uploading them to MEDIAFIRE (it's free) and posting your link here.

Thanks!
-Yoc

It's "Mr. Gbiv666" to you  ;)

Understood, I can't imagine anybody is holding their breath for the Duke.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »

You might be surprised Mr G.
;)
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

I've been a fan of The Duke since I first ran across his Triple Threat appearance on Pure Excitement Comics years ago, so I would have been pretty happy to find a Duke of Darkness collection anywhere.

And while we're talking about "Collections", should GAC be concerned with setting a limit on the number of Collections here, or is the allotted storage space for the site not an issue?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 04:38:19 AM »

Hi BC,
I wouldn't want to see the focus of the site being taken away from scans of compete issues of GA titles but collections of special characters are welcome as well.  AFAIK, the issue of storage space isn't a big issue yet.
If I had access to the admin area for the site the idea of a Collections Section would work great - much like the IW section... but while we are locked out of the admin area it'll have to be on hold for now.  But thanks for the great suggestion BC.
:)

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »

Some characters seem to lend themselves to archives. Based a lot on their popularity here and not too many appearances. Black Dwarf, Bing Bang Buster would like Yellowjacket and Green Turtle and Duke is cool
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Turtle and Jacket get their own collections one day!
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:53 PM »

Hi Roy,

-Yoc

Looks like someone already beat me to it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nzwfcgzyamu

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 03:44:51 AM »

True enough Roy though this Stardust link is nothing more than a collection of all the Fantastic and Big-3 appearances.  The Fantastic #6 from fiche (paper is on GAC) and no covers, contents/index, or bios.  Not a great archive when put beside a Phabox or BadKitty collection.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 04:07:56 AM »

Looks like someone already beat me to it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nzwfcgzyamu

No reason you can't do your own collection and make it available for all.  Who's to say you wouldn't do a superior job?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »

If you do produce your own please be sure to use the freddyfly's PAPER scans for the Fantastic #6 story.

-Yoc
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:30:50 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »

If you do produce your own please be sure to use the freddyfly's PAPER scans for the Fantastic #6 story.

-Yoc

Done and done. Just waiting on ... Fantastic Comics #14, I think.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »

Hi Roy,
I'll get Fantastic14 edited as soon as I can find a minute.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »

Hi Roy,
I'll get Fantastic14 edited as soon as I can find a minute.

-Yoc

OK, but I wasn't trying to rush you.  :)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »

Np Roy, I've been needing a push for ages on these and some other fiche I've had waiting to work on.
With luck perhaps I'll get to them on the weekend.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »

I just want to make everyone aware that Roygbiv666 has provided the third part of his Amazing Man Collected editions. This is a great way for new members to try out a classic character without burning tons of downloads.

Amazing Man Stories Only Vol 1 #5-9
Amazing Man Stories Only Vol 2 #10-13
Amazing Man Stories Only Vol 3 #14-17

Much appreciated sir!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »

I just want to make everyone aware that Roygbiv666 has provided the third part of his Amazing Man Collected editions. This is a great way for new members to try out a classic character without burning tons of downloads.

Amazing Man Stories Only Vol 1 #5-9
Amazing Man Stories Only Vol 2 #10-13
Amazing Man Stories Only Vol 3 #14-17

Much appreciated sir!  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks, in lieu of a scanner or GA books that's all I can do. Working on some other characters with fewer appearances, but we don't quite have complete runs yet.

And thanks for the VIP status, boox.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »

Roy would you be interested in editing scans. Usually over the summer I get a lot scanned. Cit has agreed to some editing but this summer I hope to have a good scanning output again. I still have lots of SA Charltons to scan
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »

Roy would you be interested in editing scans. Usually over the summer I get a lot scanned. Cit has agreed to some editing but this summer I hope to have a good scanning output again. I still have lots of SA Charltons to scan

What does that entail? I don't have any image software or anything like that, but otherwise I could give it a go.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.