in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Have not been active on this board for five months or so....

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Have not been active on this board for five months or so....  (Read 3272 times)

bminor

• VIP
message icon
Have not been active on this board for five months or so....
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »

Because I started a new job!!!!
In the depths of this recession, I started my dream job.
Running a small print shop!!!!
When I tried to log in the goldenagecomics.co.uk the other day though I panicked!!
I couldn't!!! What was the deal? Were you all gone??  I tried off and on for days, until I e-mailed JVJ(I happened to have his e-mail from some correspondence we had a looong time ago).
Well, today I found you again, and breathed a sigh of relief.

You know, with technology being what it is today, it would not be very hard to turn these old comic books into REAL comic books. That is, books that you could actually hold in your hands. They could be in either black and white ala FlashBack from years ago or in full color.
This is an interesting idea.
What do you think.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Have not been active on this board for five months or so....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »

We were off line for awhile. Glad you did not give up on finding us. Paper copies on a lazer printer would not be too expensive even in color.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:09 AM »

I had the same fear! I'd try for days to log on and I thought "oh no! They're gone!". Persistence paid off though. :)
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:57 AM »

Oh, and congrats on the new job! Getting a job is tough enough but getting one one enjoy is great!  ;D
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:40:56 AM »

Welcome back Bminor!

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 04:26:59 AM »

Congratulations on the new career (to me, "jobs" are things you do to make money but rarely enjoy on any level).  I wish you the best of luck.

You know, with technology being what it is today, it would not be very hard to turn these old comic books into REAL comic books. That is, books that you could actually hold in your hands. They could be in either black and white ala FlashBack from years ago or in full color.
What do you think.

I'm surprised someone isn't doing that already.  I've wondered for months now why someone hasn't come along with a "print on demand" service for some of these comics.  File sharing & DVDs are fine, and probably the only way some people will ever get to enjoy these books without spending a fortune, but nothing beats being able to lay in bed with a paper comic in my hands before going to sleep.  Besides making a coloring book for my 2 1/2 year-old twins (which they enjoy scribbling in more than I thought they would), I've printed-out the odd GA comic book story in B&W so that I have something to read at night.  It's not professional quality, simply "good enough for me", which probably isn't "good enough" for someone else.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:12:40 AM »

Welcome back bminor and a hearty congrats on the new job.  I sure hope things work out for you there.

Everyone - PLEASE read the news link at the top and bookmark the back-up forum in case we go off-line again in the future!
http://tinyurl.com/yj6kwse

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »

Congratulations!  As someone who spent the better part of an hour, a couple months back, helping folks at the local "office superstore" make five copies of my one-page resume, rather than wish you luck, I'll wish you were located in my town...

What do you think.

Do you mean on your end?  I've given it some occasional thought, and the stumbling block is always that Print-on-Demand stopped being...well, so on-demand.  There's too much setup for customers, I think, and all of the companies I checked want to be in on the process, and can't even give you a stinkin' quote for a short run without a sales pitch.

If you think your shop can manage that sort of thing, though, I'll be happy to give you the benefit of whatever thought I've given it.  Can't guarantee it'll be useful, but it might be worth talking about.
ip icon Logged

bminor

• VIP
message icon
PRINTING Color Comics from GAC Catalog
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 04:37:55 AM »

I am seriously going to look into how much it would take me to print out GAC comics in COLOR hard copy for any of you who might be interested having copies.
I will keep you all posted....
I would have them look as much like a regular comic as possible.
I think it would be really cool.(and a lot of fun!!!!)

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 04:55:59 AM »

Probably not a money maker but for fun why not considering new comics are $4
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: PRINTING Color Comics from GAC Catalog
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 05:11:13 AM »

I am seriously going to look into how much it would take me to print out GAC comics in COLOR hard copy for any of you who might be interested having copies.
I will keep you all posted....
I would have them look as much like a regular comic as possible.
I think it would be really cool.(and a lot of fun!!!!)

I really think it would be cost prohibitive to print them in a full sized Golden Age color format. I suggest seeing how the cost shape up in a digest size format.

I suspect that a few of us on the site are familiar with the black and white reprints from the 1970s -- I would be just as interested in these as b&w copies.

Price wise, I think people would be willing to pay $10 - $20 dollars depending on the end format.

Print on demand?

Looking forward to what you come up with.  ;D

B.  :D
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 05:49:42 AM »

Hi B,
this subject came up before in the past.  One technical point you'll want to consider is how high a resolution are the scans you want to print.  Rule of thumb is 300dpi is going to look a lot better than half that.  So look for the larger file sizes and scanned from paper will certainly look better than from fiche but I'm sure you know that already.

If you try printing any let us know how it goes.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.