in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

#218--Operation Peril #6

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: #218--Operation Peril #6  (Read 2064 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
#218--Operation Peril #6
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:56:46 PM »

ACG had a couple of these mixed-bag titles, both of which later turned into war mags. See what you think of the likes of Typhoon Taylor, Danny Danger, and the Time Travellers! Special guest appearance by Blackbeard the Pirate.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=58708
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: #218--Operation Peril #6
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 12:44:38 AM »

Thanks, Crash.
Wondered when the reading group was coming back.

I've said before that I don't rate AGC too highly. But CB+ has made me appreciate that some of the work they put out in their earlier days is quite good, sometimes excellent.
The cover is an attention getter. Is this where Devil Dinosaur gets his red colour? Both Kirby and Lee had long memories.
Typhoon Tyler - not much to say - Artwise it's excellent - Ogden Whitney is at his best, obviously enjoying himself on a straight adventure story. Storywise? Lets just say Tyler doesn't seem to do much thinking with what's between his ears.
Danny Danger - Early Leonard Starr - still learning his trade, but already better than some.
Bog standard story, the musical cigarette box idea is creative but not really credible. And yet again the hero falls in love with the girl instantly and she reciprocates  . Wish my life was like that!
Blackbeard the Pirate - Not bad short non-fiction piece from Paul Gattuso.
Time Travellers - This era's time travel stories don't compute well in the early part of the 21st century.
He travels through time in a spaceship? Nor quite a TARDIS but getting there.
And we go from a time-travelling spaceship to a chariot fight. But of course.
And a would-be world conqueror with the letters EE writ large on his chest is just a little hard to take seriously. Another example too of the casual violence you sometimes find in comics. Second last panel,
'that finishes 'em! Burned to a crisp!' For me, 'willing suspension of disbelief' just did not happen.
Report card - B minus. Can do better.
Cheers!   

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 02:59:29 AM »

Cover - If I'd bought this book as a kid I'd be so disappointed the story promised by that cover was not inside. (I'm still disappointed, but years of lying covers have lowered my expectations.)

Typhoon Tyler - Nice, fun action adventure.

Swamped! - Interesting.

Adventurers Into Peril - Interesting, but short.

Sing A Song Of Murder - Nice two-fisted PI story.

Perilous Crossing - Okay.

Blackbeard, The Pirate Peril - Interesting.

Wild Ride - A third text story??? Okay.

The Time Travelers - Not bad. Kind of similar to DC's sci-fi stories of the time. Emperor Ego's uniform was... um... laughable?.

Hunting The Grizzly - Interesting. Can you imagine a modern day comic actually providing hunting tips? More likely they'd demonize hunters murdering the poor, harmless animals and upsetting the delicate balance of nature.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:11:34 AM »

Read Typhoon Tyler and liked the story, artwork was very nice as well. The story reminded me of some of the old Republic pictures standalone adventures.

Leafed through the others just enough to see I'll be enjoying these as well when I feel up to giving them a proper read.

Been having a bit of eyestrain due to reflections from an LED light while using a loop in regulating the timing of a vintage watch. Feeling fine now but don't want to risk another episode of eye strain.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »

Typhoon Tyler was pretty good
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »

General thoughts: -
The eye-catching cover depicting the dinosaur attacking the military contingent's jeep leads one to believe that the lead story is a Sci-Fi story which involves a time machine.  It is extremely frustrating to find out that the time machine story has no connection with The Cretaceous Period.  That one mistake by the publisher could turn off thousands of prospective readers to that publisher's books. It made me angry and frustrated.  The artwork in all the illustrated stories was slightly above average (certainly good enough, and helped carry the stories). They were all entertaining enough to want to read them to their conclusions.  As the book's editor, I'd have included only 2 text pages (required to qualify for the significantly reduced US 2nd Class Postage rate), and I'd have left out the grizzly bear hunting tips page (which I doubt impressed young boys into thinking they vicariously "experienced" MORE adventure by reading at the cost of losing one page of "two-fisted swashbuckling" by Typhoon Tyler or Danny Danger).

Typhoon Tyler: -
An interesting adventure story about Indonesia just after that new nation received its independence from The Netherlands.  I grew up knowing several native Indonesian families who had worked with The Dutch Colonial officials or East India Company, and benefited from it enough to more or less have been forced for their own safety, to move to The Netherlands when The Dutch pulled out by 1949. 

The story's scenario is reasonably plausible.  The writer knew something about that part of The World.  Usually, American comic book stories about distant parts of The 3rd World, where I have lived and worked, visited frequently, or have strong 2nd-hand knowledge, are researched extremely poorly, if at all; and the author bases his/her setting and storyline on the typical extremely inaccurate American romanticised or legend-based image of foreign lands.  This story was, on the other hand, a mild and welcomed surprise.

The plot was fairly reasonable, interesting, and paced fairly well, considering that the author had so few pages with which to work.  The story would have been better paced at 20 or more pages.  Not enough room for all the action, and too short a time to keep some suspense, and reveal information more slowly, to let the reader "live in the story" to some degree.  A nice, plausible touch, that the jewels were hidden inside a drum of a tribe that placed no value on them.  I like the patriotic Indonesian woman risking her life to help her new country.

Swamped!: -
A very short text story based on an ironic final switch, that the local victim overcomes his criminal captor by his knowledge of home area (swamp and quicksand).  The young male reader can identify with the boy hero being challenged, and being brave and rising to the occasion using his wits to save his own life.  And he gets the reward of imagining himself being a hero, as well as seeing that justice gets served by the bad guy (bully) getting his just reward.

Adventurers Into Peril: -

A 2-page quasi-historical, glorified and exaggerated account of explorer and backwoods "Mountain Man", John Colter's part in helping Lewis and Clark's western expedition through The U.S.A.'s newly-acquired Louisiana Territory from 1803-1805.  The main points are historical fact, but his individual exploits are grossly exaggerated to appear very manly and adventurous to young boys, so they can vicariously "live out" these adventures, and feel brave and heroic.  I hope that he, himself, didn't massacre as many native Americans as implied in the "story's" panels.

Danny Danger(Sing A Song Of Murder):
The obligatory private detective murder mystery was surprisingly plausible, and given a surprisingly apropos and timely Cold War spy plot, based on the then-fairly recent late Communist takeover of Czechoslovakia in 1948.  I was impressed that the American writer built his story around The Western-oriented Czechs trying to get their valuable secrets to The US before they would fall into The Russians' hands during The Communist takeover of their country.  The action was good, and fast-paced, due to the short page count with which the author was saddled.  Nevertheless, the pacing was okay.  Too much focus on him being a ladies man in this short story.  I like the use of the cigarette case to add curiosity and suspense.  I like the use of the American female agent trying to keep the information out of The Soviet Russian's hands.  Silly, heroic-type names for the hero in a semi-realistic story turn me off.  It seems to trivialise the otherwise good work of the author and illustrator.  I do, however, like the silly, symbolic names for funny-animal characters.
-

Perilous Crossing: - Very good extremely short tale (1 text page).  It built up the feeling of imminent danger in a good pacing.  The description was quite good.  I felt as if I were living in that scenario, feeling the heat, feeling the time pressure to beat the flames, and feeling myself dashed against the sharp rocks, by the
wild waves.

Blackbeard, The Pirate Peril:-
Nice to learn a bit of history.  I never had any idea that his career as a pirate covered only a short 2 years.

Wild Ride: -

Brakes on a bus not working on an extremely steep downhill ride for several miles is an automatic interest-grabber, and supplier of suspense.  The fact that the hero's own daughter is the recipient of the needed help causing him and the rest of the bus riders to risk their own lives to provide it is a nice twist.

The Time Travelers: -

For being this book's alleged cover story, it was a disappointment for Sci-Fi fans, who want at least SOME science in their Science fiction, and also to historically-based legend fans, who would have wanted to see more of Atlantis, and learn more about its people. There was not the slightest attempt to explain about the time travelers needing to travel extremely fast to be able to pass through the time barrier.  We didn't see them inside a safety chamber, so their bodies could avoid being torn apart by the tremendous G-Force. They just sat in a "rocket", that acted something like a normal jet airplane.  We were never told in which part of the 860 B.C. World, the time travelers arrived. 

Was it on a large continent in the middle of The Atlantic Ocean???  Or was it in the ACTUAL place where the real Atlantis of ancient Mediterranean Man's long-term memory most likely existed, - the Eastern Mediterranean islands included in the ancient Minoan commercial empire (Thera, Crete, Rhodes, Cyprus, etc), which suffered various levels of destruction with the rising of Mediterranean Sea water levels 9,000 to 7,000 years ago, with the worldwide melting of The Earth's glaciers after the end of the last ice age cold period, and with the severe earthquake and resultant tidal waves in the Thera-centered super-strong quake of 1560 B.C.E.??

As an author of children's adventure-related literature, I am also amateur historian and buff of ancient legends.  I have done a lot of historical research on The Legend of Atlantis, and I believe that Solon's dating of 9,000 years ago for the ending disaster, relates to ancient Mediterranean people's word-of-mouth recorded  long-term memory of the rising sea waters from the ice melting, and mixing that with the ancient memory of The Thera (Santorini)-centered earthquake and tidal waves disaster which destroyed The Minoans' civilisation.  That is why I was very impressed that this story had a Queen on the throne of Atlantis (a throwback to a time when women were more highly regarded in society (matching the early farming period  after the end of the ice age), and the author giving her the name, "Thera" (matching the name of the island with the most likely spot for the empire's capital city (where its inner circular canal-ringed harbour seems to have been(Akrotiri), as described by Solon. 

Unfortunately, the comic book story's plot and action are not as satisfying as those surprising connections to history.  Emperor Ego seems to be a silly character whose madness is so irrational that he would seem harmless.  But Adolph Hitler matched that description, and he was VERY dangerous.  Ego's plot to take over The World through going back into time and soliciting whole armies from warlike states into his own  command, bringing them into his own time to fight current political entities is interesting, but very impractical.  I'm not sure I feel that our heroes in this story would even believe that is a real danger to today's World.  I also had trouble believing that "on their way home, from THE PAST, Dr. Redfield now again entering the present time, flies his supersonic jet just above Emperor Ego's desert headquarters (vast building complex), in a straight line, so low to the ground that the super hot exhaust from his tail pipe incinerates all the buildings and people to cinders, and yet he doesn't crash!  Amazing aircraft and pilot!

A story with such a plot needs a 500-paged novel, or at least a 10-comic book series (something like EC's "Land Of The Lost") to show all that the reader's would want to be shown, and to tell such an epic story.  The pitifully short page count of this short story couldn't even show a very abbreviated setting, let alone tell an epic story with fleshing out of the main characters and laying out the villain's plot and motivations.  No chance for the reader to learn much about Atlantis, or live in the epic adventure story this topic deserves.

A story idea like this is wasted in a small section of a short comic book. It should have been used as an entire series under its own title.

Hunting The Grizzly: -
This can't really be  of any help to a prospective "big game hunter".  It is just a poorly-disguised way to allow a pre-teen boy to imagine himself being brave, and conquering one of the biggest, most dangerous animals he could hunt in his own country.  A waste of a valuable non-advertising page in this book, in my opinion.  So was the 3rd text story.  I'd have used those 2 extra pages to give Typhoon Tyler and Danny Danger one more page each, to show more of their stories, improving their pacing and flow, so them feel so they wouldn't feel quite so "choppy".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:41:54 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 12:07:01 AM »

As the book's editor, I'd have included only 2 text pages (required to qualify for the significantly reduced US 2nd Class Postage rate)

Robb_K, thank you. Now I know why US Golden age comics had text pages. I never read them, those I have tried are usually very bad and dull writing, so I no longer bother,.
Atlantis offers such a wealth of opportunities for the imagination, it
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 03:08:55 AM »

As the book's editor, I'd have included only 2 text pages (required to qualify for the significantly reduced US 2nd Class Postage rate)

Robb_K, thank you. *Now I know why US Golden age comics had text pages. I never read them, those I have tried are usually very bad and dull writing, so I no longer bother,.
Atlantis offers such a wealth of opportunities for the imagination, it
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:33:43 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 04:50:23 AM »

Odd that both the Barks and the EC stories associated Atlantis with lost coins. Is this coincidence or is there something in the Atlantis legend (something I've never heard of) that portrays Atlantis as the repository of lost coins? I seem to remember hearing as a child that lost shoes went to the moon. Or was that lost socks?
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 06:49:20 AM »

Interesting - I've always believed lost socks went to Fairyland. Could it be that Fairyland is on the Moon? - that would explain a lot

It is odd though that you put a pair of socks in the airing cupboard, balled together, and when you come to collect them days later only one remains. My wife's view is that they are eaten by the invisible sock monster that lives silently in the cupboard - but then, she's nuts.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 07:10:10 AM »

Wow!

Thanks Robb for such a terrific response and post - I loved the two pages uploaded by the way. The Custodians of Lost Coins sound pretty much like the Bank of England!

As an aside number 1: It is estimated that
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »

Odd that both the Barks and the EC stories associated Atlantis with lost coins. Is this coincidence or is there something in the Atlantis legend (something I've never heard of) that portrays Atlantis as the repository of lost coins? I seem to remember hearing as a child that lost shoes went to the moon. Or was that lost socks?

I doubt that there was anything in The Legend of Atlantis, that after it sunk, it became a repository for coins

Carl Barks used the 1950s coin collecting fad in USA, together with Scrooge McDuck's hoarding of money (tonnes of coins stored in his "Money Bin") to fashion an adventure tale that could have him discover the remnant of The Lost Empire of Atlantis, under The Atlantic Ocean.  Scrooge decides to make a coin he has into the rarest coin on Earth.  He puts out an advert offering to pay double for any 1916 quarter.  So, within a few weeks he has ALL the entire mint's production of 1916 US quarter Dollars, which explains why (in real life) that year's quarters are so bloody rare, and thus, so very valuable.  Scrooge thinks that by tossing out all but one over the deepest area of The Atlantic Ocean, his one 1916 quarter will become the most valuable coin in The World.  But, after he's dumped the rest, HIS coin gets destroyed by accident.  He has to go deep-sea diving to get another.  He finds Atlantis.

The main premise of EC's "The Land of The Lost", is that that undersea land is a repository for anything lost over that area of ocean.  It is a vehicle to have a couple teenage kids have a great adventure, discovering an interesting, very different land under the ocean.  It is just a coincidence that the single pages I used as examples of great detail in the artists' portrayal of the underwater cities both happened to show collections of lost coins.  "Land of The Lost showed collections of many different land items  throughout that story's pages.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:45:28 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 08:15:49 AM »

Wow!

Thanks Robb for such a terrific response and post - I loved the two pages uploaded by the way. The Custodians of Lost Coins sound pretty much like the Bank of England!

As an aside number 1: It is estimated that
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »

Odd that both the Barks and the EC stories associated Atlantis with lost coins. Is this coincidence or is there something in the Atlantis legend (something I've never heard of) that portrays Atlantis as the repository of lost coins?

I was reading some Norse mythology a bit ago and Ran, the goddess of death for sailors, decorated her palace in gold which had sunk to the bottom of the ocean from ships.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »

It is odd though that you put a pair of socks in the airing cupboard, balled together, and when you come to collect them days later only one remains. My wife's view is that they are eaten by the invisible sock monster that lives silently in the cupboard - but then, she's nuts.

Don't get me started. I put mine in the washing machine and only one comes out. Maybe the washing machine is a vortex to an alternate dimension.   
DC's Ambush Bug featured a sock villain, Arh Gyle - who was bent on conquering the world,by building an army of odd socks, if I remember correctly. Then there's coathangers, who are taking over the world wardrobe by wardrobe. Ever notice how they multiply?
I seriously need some sleep.
Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 11:13:28 PM »

"My wife's view is that they are eaten by the invisible sock monster that lives silently in the cupboard - but then, she's nuts."

When mom got close to 90 she started getting strange ideas. She once insisted that the cats needed nightgowns because they would get cold on winter nights. She also said that if I cut off the TV it cut the power to the houses that the people inside the TV lived in and they might freeze.

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »

Alzheimer's, dementia or whatever else you call it, is of course sad and relentless hard work for those who are carers - but it does indeed have its lighter moments.

My father, 91, has this thing where he believes the people he sees on telly are his friends - perhaps living elsewhere on the estate. A typical conversation might go like this:

"You see her?"
"What, Holly Willoughby?"
"Nice girl, she is. She was here last week, y'know. Sat in that chair where you're sat"
"Really"
"Always popping in, she is, always. Cup of tea and a chat."
"That's nice."
"Yur - likes milk and sugar with it - you know, if she comes when I'm out"
"I'll remember"
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »

Typical of the era, pre-code horror and science fiction comic book publishers often displayed interchangeable, eye-catching art unrelated to story content to spark sales - as evidenced by ACG's cover sporting a dinosaur minus a dinosaur story inside.  Nice art by Ogden Whitney of Herbie fame - ACG's best known regular freelancer.  Typhoon Tyler is a two-fisted, red-blooded adventurer in the constant surround of beautiful women, sandy beaches and palm fronds.  What's not to like?  A good read.  Thanks crash. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »

Typical of the era, pre-code horror and science fiction comic book publishers often displayed interchangeable, eye-catching art unrelated to story content to spark sales - as evidenced by ACG's cover sporting a dinosaur minus a dinosaur story inside.  Nice art by Ogden Whitney of Herbie fame - ACG's best known regular freelancer.  Typhoon Tyler is a two-fisted, red-blooded adventurer in the constant surround of beautiful women, sandy beaches and palm fronds.  What's not to like?  A good read.  Thanks crash.

That's false advertising, and out and out LYING!  The dirty crooks!  How DARE they?!  I guess kids learned to look through the whole book before they bought it. That would have happened as a matter of course, as most boys sat at the newsstand, and read as many books as possible, before the news agent shooed us away by waving a broom at us, and threatening to call a cop.  But most kids could only afford to buy one or two 10 centers, or one 25 cent giant annual with their meagre allowance or hard earned chores, lawn mowing or newspaper delivery money. 

Back in the '40s, when there was no TV in homes in my part of Canada, comics were the big entertainment for evenings, and heavy rainstorm and blizzard days.  You could spend your weekly 25 cents on one afternoon at the cinema, or have 120 pages of comic book to read over and over, or swap with friends for comics from previous months you couldn't afford to buy. 

I never saw any ACG comics I wanted to buy, anyway, as their humour books, or. at least, Funny animal books (Giggle, Ha!Ha!, Funny Films) never seemed to get to Manitoba.  Maybe some of the action, crime, and horror books did.  I do remember seeing  "Bob Hope", "The Kilroys", and "Herbie" there.  I DO remember seeing some ACG western series.  But, I didn't like any of those. Thank goodness we got all the majors, like Disney, WB, MGM, Lantz, (all the other Dell lines), and Classics Illustrated.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 09:01:35 PM »

It could also be a more humdrum reason. Covers were produced and printed before the insides of a comic, and sometimes a story promised on the cover wasn't finished by press time. The editor had to stick something else in at the last minute. I can't remember which comic had Leonard Starr's "Cowboy Sahib," (was it also an ACG comic?) but the feature was announced on the cover of one issue yet didn't appear until the next one. The Dreaded Deadline Doom strikes again.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 09:43:46 PM »

It could also be a more humdrum reason. Covers were produced and printed before the insides of a comic, and sometimes a story promised on the cover wasn't finished by press time. The editor had to stick something else in at the last minute. I can't remember which comic had Leonard Starr's "Cowboy Sahib," (was it also an ACG comic?) but the feature was announced on the cover of one issue yet didn't appear until the next one. The Dreaded Deadline Doom strikes again.

And ACG had NO in-house artists they could keep up all night finishing stories.  They got all their work from Sangor's Studios freelancing animators/cartoonists, many of whom were only moonlighting for Sangor/Hughes, and couldn't take extra time to push through a deadline.
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 10:03:48 PM »

Absolutely, crash - deadlines will be missed, but not all of the time.  ACG made a habit of spectacular covers that were misleading to the content.  Quite a few pre-code publishers did likewise.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 03:47:00 AM »

I'm late commenting on the stories, but here's the bird's-eye lowdown on this caper.

I usually enjoy tough-guy-in-exotic-locale stories but Typhoon Tyler teeters on the edge between interesting and silly. On the plus side: two tough babes, a decent gimmick, and a series of shifting loyalties that had me wondering whose side everyone was on. On the downside was dialogue that bordered on self-parody, especially that of Typhoon himself, mouthing lines like, "It's nuts to tangle with Typhoon Tyler!" I also had trouble with the notion that Sal would hire advertising planes to crisscross the South Pacific on the off chance Tyler would see one and walk into her trap. There's some strong violence in this one, muted somewhat by Whitney's calm art style. I can't blame Serpa for being pissed at Tyler for firing a harpoon gun into his crew.

I knew nothing about John Coiter. I wasn't impressed.

Danny Danger was a good tough-guy mystery. The story was enjoyably complex and Leonard Starr's artwork put it over the top. There is a subtle difference in structure between this and the other stories in the comic. Could it have been written by Starr himself instead of Richard Hughes? As a name "Inspector Gravel" is almost as bad as Vic Flint's "Inspector Growl."

Blackbeard, the Pirate Peril told me a lot I didn't know about the famous pirate. It's hard to imagine him partying with the North Carolina governor while at the same time he plundered incoming shipping. If this strip was drawn by Paul Gattuso, it's the best thing he ever did. I see no hint of the slack-jawed, cartoony figures he usually drew.

The Time Travellers story was a complete mess! It began so abruptly that I thought it was the sequel to an earlier story. No, it was just Richard Hughes trying to "start the story in the middle." There are a couple of fresh ideas here, for example Ego's cold intention to use all the warriors of history as modern-day cannon fodder. But there's too much bouncing around and Ego is a nonentity who never even meets our heroes face to face. While I enjoy chariot battles as much as the next guy, those pages would have been better used to sort out the logic of time travel. Ken Bald, a capable artist, doesn't help. With the exception of the establishing shot of Atlantis he constantly cops out. Story page 9, panel 4, is the nadir.

Hunting the Grizzlies; or, Wiping Out an Endangered Species: a filler by another name is still a filler.

For those interested in a seeing the strange fate of Operation: Peril, I urge you to check out issue #12. As I mentioned in the first post, the comic ended its days as a war mag. #12 was the transition issue. On the first page of their respective strips, Danny Danger and Typhoon Tyler resign their day jobs and enlist in the military! Typhoon's conversion is the best. In the first story panel we find Typhoon at the wheel of his schooner. Wearing a mournful expression, he confesses to meatball-headed Charlie:

"Yup, Charlie, my conscience has been bothering me. We've both been selfish all these years, scouring the South Seas for adventure and treasure, thinking only of ourselves! it's time we began thinking of more important things--like helping our country in its war against Communist aggressors!"

"You're right, Typhoon," Charlie grins, "and we ought to get plenty of action fighting the Reds!"

Two pages later "Typhoon Tyler, Battlebird" is in the seat of a Sabrejet machine-gunning Huk guerillas in the Philippines. After this issue all continuing features disappeared never to return.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.