in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello, from the very south of Spain

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello, from the very south of Spain  (Read 355 times)

jyhelle

message icon
Hello, from the very south of Spain
« on: February 06, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »

hello,
Just arrived here, I'm French but grown stateside until my parents were sent to Germany and later in what was called USSR ... Well, I survived and eventually ended in Spain where I'm now living in the permanent sun of Andalusia.

Glad to be here and retrieve some of those comics that lightened my early days, many thanks to those that make it possible !

Jan
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Hello, from the very south of Spain
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 12:38:20 AM »

jyhelle,

Hello and Welcome to Andalusia from New South Wales Australia. As a comic book fan who has travelled through Europe and what was the USSR, I'm hoping you will be a mine of information (and maybe source?) on European and Russian comics.

Presumably you are fluent in more than one language?

Anyway, welcome aboard and enjoy!   
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »

Welcome Jyhelle - great to meet you.

I also worked in Russia - on and off - for twelve years - in education. Seeing you are French, I should add I'm a great fan of BD generally - Thorgal a particular favourite - which oddly I first came across on a visit to Spain. 

Comic book sales, mostly BD translations, are growing in Russia - Akishin's recent revamp of Bulgakov's Master and Margarita sold by the shed load. Marzhan Satrapi's Embroideries was a top-seller too.

All the best to you!
ip icon Logged

jyhelle

message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »

Thanks for the welcome messages !

Panther: I sadly remember the piles and boxes of comics I left behind in one move or another, especially BD magazines like Vaillant, Spirou, Tintin, Pilote ...
Most of the comic books serials in small format were probably translations from the US editions, but those BD magazines mostly carried French and Belgian authors.
Although my Russian is very rusty I am fluent in French, Spanish, Italian and German and I can read Dutch and Polish, that's Europe where we have to change language every 500 km !

Andrew: Yes, Thorgal is definitely among the best (although I think the departure of Rosinski was a real loss, but after some 30 years of drawing the same characters one must be somewhat tired)
I never went to the Kommissia exhibit in Moscow but I happened to be in StPetersburg last september and visited the Boomfest, much smaller but a real crowd of enthusiasts, motivated authors and dynamic editors, a really blooming world!

cheers,
JL
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 05:59:10 PM »

Welcome to CB+, Jan.  Good to have you here.
I'm not as keen on Thorgal as you and Panther, preferring work by Jacques Tardi, Pratt and series such as Agence Hardy; Masque rouge; but there is just so much good stuff.
Enjoy yourself here and please join in the conversations.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.