in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 191 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Old Book Illustrations

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Old Book Illustrations  (Read 2427 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Old Book Illustrations
« on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »

Ever get the impression that 'The Australian Panther' spends too much time on the internet?
Well you are not wrong. But sometimes that's to everybody's advantage.

Interested in Pre-20th century illustration?
Here is a site dedicated to that subject. 
https://www.oldbookillustrations.com/

And on this site, worth visiting itself, is an explanatory article.
Don't use the top link,its a loop.

http://www.openculture.com/2020/02/old-book-illustrations-download.html

Enjoy!
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
Re: Old Book Illustrations
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »

Sincere thanks for this, Panther - the openculture website is simply stunning.

I'd never heard of Martin Lewis before but his work is breath-taking - so full of life.
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:40:01 PM »

Excellent share AP, I discovered books, images and lots more than I expected in the second link. Even links to foreign language instruction!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:38:31 PM »

The most memorable of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner illustrations.

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »

Good Lord - yep that certainly is memorable - I don't remember conjuring up that image myself from the poem - I'm guessing it's the line:

Is DEATH that woman's mate?
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »

Good Lord - yep that certainly is memorable - I don't remember conjuring up that image myself from the poem - I'm guessing it's the line:

Is DEATH that woman's mate?

"the Game is done, I've won, I've won, quoth she and whistled thrice".

The maiden is "death in life" casting dice for the life of the Mariner. Had she lost the Mariner would have simply died with his shipmates. By winning she doomed him to linger in state of living death.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »

I think I've run across this site before.  I keep running across all sorts of things in pursuit of all things "Poe".  It's a big reason why I decided the other year to add "Galleries of Illustrations" to the "comics adaptations".  I see a lot of people doing sites & blogs with random collections of illustrations, but I have a feeling I've gone more overboard than most trying to assemble sometimes every illustration for a given story by as many different artists as I can find.  (In a couple of cases, I've actually had to edit myself and leave out some illos, there's just too many.)

Some of the stuff from the 1800s is mind-boggling!

I'd also love to get ahold of a book by John Rea Neill from around 1910.  Unfortunately, while many of his later books can be found for reasonable prices, his Poe book is WAY beyond my price range.  The strange thing is, to my knowledge, I haven't seen any later or modern reprints of any of his books for sale online.  Is it possible someone who was as notable as he was for his "OZ" books never saw his work reprinted?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.