in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Glad you're back up but can't download

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Glad you're back up but can't download  (Read 6866 times)

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Glad you're back up but can't download
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »

I logged in, didn't get an error message but it still shows I'm logged in as a guest user. I tried downloading a comic and got a message that I exceeded my allowed downloads. I haven't downloaded anything in days. I may have gotten my password wrong, but I didn't get an error message. I changed it and logged into the message boards right before the main site when down so I don't remember it. Firefox saves it automatically so I won't need to remember it. I requested to have the password emailed to me but it never came through.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Glad you're back up but can't download
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:19 AM »

The site is still in the TESTING and Debugging phase A.

It likely shouldn't even be open to the public yet.  Or apologies.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:16:35 AM »

Okay, no problem. I just got into the habit of checking every day to see if you were back up. I'll just lurk in the GAC in exile boards then. Thanks!
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:34:23 AM »

Glad to know it wasn't only me....nice to see the partial progress, tho!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:45:20 AM »

There will be an announcement when things are figured.
Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

-Yoc

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:34:42 AM »

*sigh* the 'time out error' still exists.
Peachy.

Yes, refreshing the download page (F5) and hitting 'download' very fast will sometimes fix things.
ip icon Logged

Skinny

message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »

Well, let me offer myself as another eager person looking forward to everything working properly.

Thank you for your very crucial contribution to the art.

Alan
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »

*sigh* the 'time out error' still exists.
Peachy.
Yes, refreshing the download page (F5) and hitting 'download' very fast will sometimes fix things.

Keep in mind that's probably not an error, as such.  It's to prevent people from using download managers to suck down the site and thereby wasting bandwidth without actually being at the computer.

If I remember from earlier discussions, there are different settings for guests and logged-in users, and probably only takes an entry in the database to change it.  But I'd say that's pretty low priority until the software problems actually get fixed and the site has a new policy on quotas or whatever else.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:40:06 PM »

Thanks for the patients and appreciation skinny. Unlike some who their only posts ever have been to complain about what they can not get immediately for free. Instead of thanking those who put countless hours in for free to allow them to download for free they complain things are not getting done fast enough.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 03:13:08 AM »

FYI, here's the error message I get when testing downloading:
"Error: Sorry but you are not allowed to download this file as you have exceeded the number of files you are allowed to download during this period. Please check your user control panel for more information on the limits currently available to you.. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin".
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »

Try it now Roy
ip icon Logged

aldiboronti

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: aldiboronti
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »

I'm delighted to see the site back! I too can't download anything, I've had a variety of errors, Download Limit Exceeded (haven't downloaded anything for ages), Leech coming from another site (no, came straight here), and one or maybe two others. I've given up for the moment, but please don't take this as a criticism. I've downloaded so many wonderful comics from you in the past that I'd be eternally in your debt if I never downloaded another thing.

I'm sure things will sort themselves out eventually, I'm just really pleased to see you back.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

MaxFortune

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: MaxFortune
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »

I've downloaded so many wonderful comics from you in the past that I'd be eternally in your debt if I never downloaded another thing.

I'm sure things will sort themselves out eventually, I'm just really pleased to see you back.

I'll second that!

I'm likewise hoping things get sorted out. I had a very strange problem this AM -- I was able to download one book in four or five attempts, but even though I got nothing from the failed attempts the size of the comic was deducted from my available bandwidth anyway. Very odd.
ip icon Logged

rendle

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: rendle
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »

I'm getting the 'leech' and 'ID session' errors too.
I'm not complaining, just reporting :)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »

I've adjusted the security of the site.  Those behind firewalls might have been getting the LEECH message.  If it continues I'll look into it some more.

ID session errors are covered in the FAQ and the YELLOW NEWS LINK at the top of the page guys.  It basically is saying you haven't hit the 'Download' button fast enough. 

rendle your account on GAC shows you be able to download your 200mb for today fine.  Please try again.

-Yoc
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:06:09 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 02:20:40 AM »

Try it now Roy

Thanks Yoc, I'm able to download right now.

Try not to let the complainers get to you, I can appreciate amount of FREE work you're putting into this.

Regards
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 07:13:26 AM »

Thanks boys, the Leech error shouldn't be a problem anymore.  I wish the bandwidth renewal problem as easy!
:)
ip icon Logged

sjstein

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: sjstein
message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 12:43:56 PM »

Thanks for all your hard work Yoc.  :)

As of this morning, the site said I've exceeded my download limit and I haven't downloaded a book in awhile. I have read the FAQ and clicked on "User CP", but the download limits have not reset and I still can't download.

Also, please let sure to let us know when we can donate.
ip icon Logged

jrvandore

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jrvandore
message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »

I'm having problems and I think I have tried all the suggested remedies.  When I log in it says that the password I entered doesn't match the one on file...though it signs me in and now says "Hello jrvandore" above.  And I can't download.  I have logged out and back in a couple times.  I went to my profile page but don't see where I can change my password or get it sent to me (though I'm sure I am using the right one).

Oh, and I thought I would just register a new account, but when I click on register on the home page it just takes me to the home page.

Sorry to be a bother.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »

sjstein, jrvandore - try again.

Don't worry about being a bother either, it's the bloody software that is the bother here!

sjstein, as soon as I can fix the 'donate' button on the site we will make an announcement and believe me any $ help is appreciated.  Donations also get VIP access which is unlimited downloads.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

jrvandore

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jrvandore
message icon
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »

Thanks, Yoc.  When I signed in this time, it said:

Error: Login failed... No username was entered. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin

But it signed me in.  I went to download and it gave me the timeout message, but when I went back, refreshed, it let me download.

Thanks
ip icon Logged

Dr. Mindshadow

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Dr. Mindshadow
message icon
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »

Like jrvandore I have tried refreshing the page but no luck. What can I do? Thanks for the Fox stuff, PL #14.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »

Refreshing the download page is pretty common jrv, I'm glad you've got it working.

DrMindShadow, you should be fine now.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Dr. Mindshadow

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Dr. Mindshadow
message icon
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »

Refreshing doesn't work.  But I can't download, what should I do?  I just wanted to thank you for uploading the issue. PL has some odd foes.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »

You should be ok now Dr. Mindshadow.
If you can't DL after more than 24hrs please send me a Private Message (left click the little word balloon beside the envelope under my monkey avatar) and let me know.
Sadly the software being fubar means this will be an ongoing issue for non-VIP members.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.