in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Give Up The Good Book, Pick Up a Good Gun

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Give Up The Good Book, Pick Up a Good Gun  (Read 662 times)

Nathan Coley

message icon
Give Up The Good Book, Pick Up a Good Gun
« on: March 02, 2020, 10:59:23 AM »

I'm new to the forum. Messaging from Glasgow, Scotland. Looking for help.

I read many years ago about a dime novel which had a title/subtitle or strap line 'Give Up the Good Book, Pick Up a Good Gun'.

Does anyone know is this publication? I'd be grateful of any info.

Nathan C
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Give Up The Good Book, Pick Up a Good Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »

Hi Nathan. Welcome to CB+.  I'm just along the motorway from you, nr. Falkirk.
Unfortunately, this doesn't ring any bells with me.  With any luck someone else will come up with the goods.  In the meantime please join in the conversations and ask questions if you have any.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »

Hi Nathan

Welcome! I'm guessing you are the renowned artist who produced a work with this strapline a decade or so ago? It provokes an image of something like a wild west travelling preacher so tormented by outlaws - maybe they assaulted his wife - that he turns away from the Lord and picks up his gun to seek revenge.

I can't name a book with that exact strapline - though there are many preacher turned gunslinger pulp novels and comic books out there. The Glenn Ford movie Heaven with a Gun springs to mind as fulfilling the idea too - great movie.

I hope someone else can help you find the book you are looking for.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:22:00 AM »

Finding  a book from a strapline would be the most difficult way I can think of. My first thought was 'that has to be a Western' and it triggered a memory of this excellent movie - an English Western starring Dirk Bogarde John Mills and Roger Delgardo.
THE SINGER NOT THE SONG (1961) Dirk Bogarde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsh_IqEC7mY
Watch it and you will see why. NO spoilers here!
Lots of luck finding it!   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 07:27:30 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Nathan Coley

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »

Thanks for this.

Andrew999.
Yes I'm that guy. I'm looking to make a large public version of the work, and feel if I can find the original source it might help.

PawBroon.
Cheers - thanks for the help.

The Australian Panther. 'The Singer Not The Song'  don't know that but will have a look.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.