in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

My pc

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: My pc  (Read 1931 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
My pc
« on: March 09, 2020, 06:49:48 PM »

What a weekend!  My pc gave up the ghost and refused to start.  As my tech knowledge is about enough for the back of a stamp, I couldn't fix it.  So, today it was off to the computer shop.  I've dug out an old, slow, under-powered  W7 machine and fired it up - it needed some dry kindling and soon it'll want a shovelfull of coal, but at least it's working. Hopefully it's only for a couple of days.  I'll try to sort out the wee problem with the latest Buck Ryan and upload it but don't hold your breath. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: My pc
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:37:57 PM »

Well, Paw all my sympathy. :'(  I just hope you have been doing regular back-ups on media that is not on your PC., The PC can be replaced, but the data cannot. I am on other [non-comicbook] forums - primarily music sharing blogs - and people asking for help because they havee lost all their data is a common occurance.
Having had this happen to me, I now only use the computer [laptop] to connect to the internet and create or edit documents and images. I save all data on a stand-alone drive. It's always possible of course to save data to the CLOUD.
I hope the diagnosis is that the patient will recover quickly! ;D

Cheers!           
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »

Gosh - that's a hard blow - I hope you manage to get the data back from the hard drive.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »

Fortunately, I transfer to a desktop drive.  Then copy that to another big volume drive.  Being a bit paranoid about losing stuff, I also use a couple of smaller portables as emergency stores.  My pal, Vince - a collector of many things - holds a fair portion of my comics downloads and I in turn hold copies of his audio and tv files.
Anyone reading these posts who's new to all this, or a bit less fastidious with their files should take note.  Back them up.
Fingers crossed.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »

Well, I got my pc back and virtually all the files that were on it.  I just had to re-load some progs, which was quote good fun, and informative as I found new versions  or alternatives.  The old w7 machine has been put away safely in case of more problems.
My main concern isn't  the pc, or covid 19 for that matter, as my brother-in-law has been told his cancer is terminal.  My sister is in poor health anyway and I don't know how she will cope. 
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear that, Paw - that's a hard, hard blow. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.