in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Billy The Kid - Don Lawrence

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Billy The Kid - Don Lawrence  (Read 624 times)

johan72

message icon
Billy The Kid - Don Lawrence
« on: March 31, 2020, 01:54:18 PM »

Hello everybody,
Really lovely website. This is my first post on this forum!

I recently came across a Billy The Kid page drawn by Don Lawrence published on the following website:
https://downthetubes.net/?p=111919
I knew Don Lawrence from The Trigan Empire, Karl The Viking and Storm, but I did not know he also worked on Billy The Kid.
The page in question is apparently published in Sun, cover dated 12th May 1959, published by Fleetway.

I have been browsing the comicbookplus website for weeks but cannot find this comic. Is it yet to be uploaded?
Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:57:21 PM by johan72 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Billy The Kid - Don Lawrence
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »

A page of
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:12:48 AM »

Sssshhhhh!!!!! Keep it to yourself but we have 4 excellent compilations of Billy/ Masked Avenger, here:-

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3262
ip icon Logged

johan72

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 12:34:28 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Comic historian Steve Holland wrote a short but interesting article about this for a German Don Lawrence fanzine (for those interested, see: "Pandarve - Don Lawrence Magazin", 1991, issue 3, page 21), in which he explained Don's contribution to Billy The Kid.

According to Steve Holland, the first Billy The Kid episode drawn by Don Lawrence was published in Sun #491 (July 5, 1958), and Don would continue to draw 16 more stories.

But perhaps he even made more, it is not known. Some of these stories (if not all) were written by Michael Butterworth, long before he worked together with Don Lawrence on "The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire" (1965). So far, none of these stories have been reprinted in modern times, which is quite surprising.

Unfortunately, the Billy The Kid SUN Collections on this website only run until December 14, 1957, long before Don Lawrence started working on this series.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:43:49 PM by johan72 »
ip icon Logged

johan72

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »

Found it!
You can read the story in Lion 400 available here:
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=75548

Big thanks to the uploader!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.