in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Harry Potter

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 362 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Harry Potter
« on: April 27, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »

Whilst there are shedloads of fan strips, I'm not aware of any official or formal Harry Potter comic book or strip - and yet it seems a natural with all that visual content - have I missed something? Not even an animation series - Tales from Hogwarts, Harry Potter's Pandemonia, Muggles and Magic, Hermione's Odysseia or some such.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 05:48:11 PM »

Whilst there are shedloads of fan strips, I'm not aware of any official or formal Harry Potter comic book or strip - and yet it seems a natural with all that visual content - have I missed something? Not even an animation series - Tales from Hogwarts, Harry Potter's Pandemonia, Muggles and Magic, Hermione's Odysseia or some such.

One would have guessed there would have been an animated series out by now.  But, the author is so bloody rich already that she won't ever need more money.  So, she can keep strict control over how her characters are used, and avoid any "cheapening" and degradation by others.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 01:47:41 AM »

Wot he said! Took the words right out of my mouth, Robb!
I've never read the books, but have seen all the films. The Potter universe seems more popular with women than with men. And I have an ex-wife who is a huge fan and earlier a lady friend that was a fanatic. Said Lady Friend made an interesting comment to me. She said that as far as she was concerned, Rowling used Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' as a template. I think she meant the structure of the narratives. Having read all of them at an earlier age, I can see her point.
There are 'Famous Five' comic books.
Interestingly, Rowling's 'Cormoran Strike' Detective books weren't nearly as successful. The TV series is quite good, but not outstanding. Stars Tom Burke bettter known as ATHOS in the BBc's recent 'Three Musketeers' series. Which is excellent, and if you haven't seen it, worth tracking down. Peter Capaldi as Cardinal Richelieu is worth the price of admission alone.         
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:13:26 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 06:59:01 AM »

I'm sure you are right. It occurred to me in passing, the same also applies, I guess to Discworld. Some of the books have been adapted as graphic novels which is good - but no ongoing series, as far as I am aware.

I think that's a shame because a long-running series can explore minor characters, develop the mythos, bring the sensibilities of new creators to bear and test the internal logic of a setting - although I guess you could argue Pratchett did just about everything in all directions in his forty-one novels!

Still, at least some TV series are planned - including The Watch, the early images from which look very interesting indeed.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »

Meanwhile, Stephen Byrne has shown some of the potential for a Harry Potter comic book or strip:

https://screenrant.com/harry-potter-comic-fan-art-byrne/
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 09:13:28 AM »

Finally, it appears a Harry Potter TV series is in the very early stages of development at HBO. Surprising it took so long - if ever a series was gold-plated, this must be it.

The trans community is up in arms apparently - maybe they will need to include a trans character to appease them - shouldn't be too difficult to conjure that up :>
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.