in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Luna Squad

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Luna Squad  (Read 1520 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Luna Squad
« on: May 03, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »

Looking forward to seeing this new series from the Beeb about a bunch of kids who find a map inside a comic book that leads them to a UFO crash site and a journey through time.

The Beeb have produced some cracking sci-fi in recent years, often overlooked, such as the Sarah Jane Adventures, Demon Headmaster (creepy), MI High, Dark Season, Wizards & Aliens, Sparticle Mystery, Eve and I could go on and on.

Some of us will remember being terrified of Daleks, Cybermen and Tripods in our youth - and I guess that's the secret, the Beeb has never been afraid to scare the pants off kids, none of that sugar-sweet sickly Disney stuff for British kids - trauma is the thing!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Luna Squad
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 01:00:37 AM »

Andrew, I obviously am about a generation older than you.
Not much in fiction has scared me. some exceptions were
The BBC's ' Journey into Space' Radio Serial. No pictures, just sit with family around the radio listening to disembodied voices tinged with fear. At the age of 6 or 7, that was scary, and one of my major introductions to Science Fiction. Also early Black and White TV. some episodes of the Twilight Zone. One episode, about a girl who fell off the edge of the bed into another dimension but her voice could be still heard by her parents, is still strong in my memory. Also the BBC's 'A for Andromeda' comes to mind. The Movie 'the Blob' which I watched in a Theatre. If you know the movie, you will also know why it is impossible to watch it in a theatre without turning around and checking the projection box!
This movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzSSvJOAhwQ
Hitchcock's Psycho, seen for the first time when you don't know what's going to happen.
Where the Shower scene occurs, it's so unexpected it scares the crap out of you! 
Daleks, Cybermen and Tripods
Nah! I was always able to see the lousy production values.
The Cybermen the Doctor took on in an alternative universe were more scarier than any of the earlier versions. But the Daleks are fun. Except the episode 'DALEK' which is some kind of masterpiece. I've watched it multiple times. 
Children today are so saturated with fantasy and horror, is there anything that scares them? 

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 01:49:43 AM »

I guess Panther and I are of similar vintage. Our parents didn't let us watch TV on weekdays, but Friday and Saturday we were allowed to stay up late and have the box to ourselves. The Twilight Zone, if not outright scary, was good for goosebumps and always kept us on the edge of our seats. It came on right after My Three Sons. We didn't like that show but we always tuned in for the closing credits to be sure we wouldn't miss TZ. Years later when I was in college I happened to catch the end of a rerun of My Three Sons...and when the closing theme played I started feeling the "tinglies!" Thanks, Dr Pavlov.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »

I thought I posted this hours ago but it seems to have gotten under the radar.
Andrew's post triggered a memory of a film which was the first European film I saw on my own as an adult. I was probably 14 or 15  at the time.
les diaboliques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h66gU9prCeM

This is in french. Enjoy!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »

OOOOOHHH!!! Les Diaboliques.  We both jumped, hearts racing and all that, first time we watched it. What a fright.  Can't recommend it highly enough.
The first time I saw Cybermen - The Tenth Planet - I was seriously frightened.  I still get the shivers when I watch that story.
Quatermass and The pit scared the daylights out of me and worried me for quite a time after. That was the Andre Morel tv play.  But the later colour film was excellent also.
As Panther writes, Journey into Space was scary.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.