in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Insane numbers.....YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Insane numbers.....YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED.  (Read 12526 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Insane numbers.....YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED.
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »

I've read thoroughly all of the above and I have some thoughts.  They may not be very coherant but please bear with me.  I love this site.  I know very little about computers and despite spending more time than I really should have  poring over the instructions on how to scan, pull a comic together as one of the files I see on GAC and uploading to the site, I'm still lost.  I can scan but after that it's a mystery.  So despite helping with a missing story a while ago, I'm pretty useless.  I was in the comics business for a long time and know the reactions caused by hearing punters moan and complain.  I love comics and even when I was making a sort of living from them I was trying to do my best to serve customers and try and enthuse them into all sorts of different stuff.  Lots of people appreciated this but a fair number would just find something to moan or complain about.  This is one of the problems GAC has and you wont stop it because some folk are selfish and, if we're honest, a bit ignorant.  As a lifelong fan of superheroes and masked mystery men and women, the more obscure the better, I use the site to gain access to stuff I didn't know existed or didn't know much about or just to have examples of heroes I've always wanted to read about. And the point re only wanting one or 2 stories in a comic applies to me at times as well.  Authentic Police Cases is a good example.
As to the greedy, parasitical jobbies who take the downloads and sell them on, I've mentioned this before on this site and I continue to see dealers selling c.d.s of downloaded comics at marts and conventions here in Scotland.  I have no time for them.  But if peole want these comics and don't go to these dealers they will have to come to GAC or similar and you'll have more bandwidth problems.  Limiting downloads might help and annual fees might help  but as the site becomes even more well known, more downloaders will appear and the same problems will occur, I think.
I'd love to comment on the titles I download but as someone else said above, I often don't have the time and as I suffer a wee bit from depression from time to time, I sometimes can't get up the will to write -  although I was so struck with the contrasting cossies of Bob Phantom and The Fox that I surely must put something on the site.  I think I would be happy to pay a small annual fee for access to a great resource such as this but wouldn't that change the basis on which the site was set up?  Not necessarily a bad thing, perhaps.
I'm sure as soon as I finish this I'll remember stuff I've missed.  Thanks for your patience.  Hope it helps the discussion.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »

Just a quick comment to answer some requests for hard numbers.
Sadly the site's software does not provide any breakdowns of which group downloads how much.
A typical download log entry will look like this:
        File                    Referer                           Time                       IP                      User

Jumbo Comics 084    www.goldenagecomics.co.uk       01/Mar/10 20:39:42    55.555.555.555    Yoc

The RW download software that runs the download site pulls all the users names/pw and user group info from here the message board.
It then looks up the member group that a person trying to download belongs to and applies any limits that group has.

A page from the log has 100 downloads logged and yesterday we had 707 download total which feels low but I'd have to check.  The software doesn't differentiate between completed or attempted downloads in the log so that's why we warn members that even a broken or aborted download still counts in total against your daily limit.  Of course the server provider keeps track of Total bandwidth but that doesn't help explain who is downloading when or what or even how much.  (anyone picking up how disgusted I am with the software?)

So unless someone sits with a printout of the log and works with some spreadsheet software to keep track of who downloaded what and which group they were in (and I'm not volunteering) we're going to have to take some educated guesses for now.

I don't want to see you guys getting into a big panic yet though.  It's great to know who really cares and read your ideas as you never know what might come up but as Mr Adams so eloquently said 'Don't Panic!'   ;)

-Yoc
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:12:06 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 03:57:39 AM »

I really think this topic is premature but I do like Jon's suggestion that the newest scans could be shared on Mediafire to lessen the load on GAC and add them here later.  Makes sense to me.

This is a problem that should be sorted internally before we open it to the general members.  There are already a couple of comics heavy bit-torrent sites out there if you go looking gang.  We don't need to start a new one.

-Yoc

Well, even if the issue is premature, Yoc,  I can easily see that changes would be good to put in place anyway.  Since Janus says we can handle new books, I guess I'm thinking the delaying of posts here isn't necessary.  But I'd be open to the idea as long as the new posts aren't put on a site that you have to become a member of in order to download.  I joined this group originally to get at the scans.  I'd rather not have to join another for the same reason.  Therefore, I'd probably not join another site.  Instead, I'd just wait a week until it was posted here.

DHFH
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 04:00:11 AM »

Maybe resize some of the larger files, taking the 80MB book and resizing the images to 30-40MB, giving people an option of taking the smaller file while leaving the 80MB file alone for whoever needs such large images.

I think the resizing idea has potential, bchat.  In fact, I've noticed that some posts have unnecessarily high jpeg quailty ratios.  This isn't something the average scanner might be aware of depending of what software they use, but jpeg quality was designed to allow the image creator to determine the balance between compression  and quailty of photographs.  Since most/all comic book pages are line drawings, the jpeg quality can be set rather low by normal standards while still producing  virtually no noticable change in the scan.  Almost a "have your cake and eat it too" senario.

DHFH

ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 04:03:13 AM »

Respectfully, I do not see it as 'alienating honest folk' -- it is asking people to make a commitment to the site if they plan to utilize it regularly. Hosting and bandwidth are the two major costs that has deviled the site. I do not want to come across as a snob, but it is not unfair to expect people to help keep the site alive.

You make some valid points here, Boox; I don't think you come off as a snob.  My main goal in the posts I've made is to 1.) try to put out suggestions I'd already thought of in months past that might be good ideas, and 2.) try make sure everyone sees the good and bad points in any suggestions.

DHFH
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 04:13:09 AM »

Hi DHFH,

No miscommunication at all on your part. I want to see an explosion of VIPs on the site. My solution is not touchy-feely, but it works if people commit.

I am not taken with your 'system-wide daily download limit' ... sounds too 'From each according to his ability, to each according to his need' and that, in my opinion, would render the site into disaster and eventual non-existence.

B.

OK, I'm glad I understood you.  I hope my thoughts on your suggestions are as clear.  I don't care for the idea of a daily download limit myself, but was mentioning it as a last resort option. 

DHFH
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 04:18:40 AM »

Just a quick comment to answer some requests for hard numbers.
Sadly the site's software does not provide any breakdowns of which group downloads how much.

A page from the log has 100 downloads logged and yesterday we had 707 download total which feels low but I'd have to check.  The software doesn't differentiate between completed or attempted downloads in the log so that's why we warn members that even a broken or aborted download still counts in total against your daily limit.  Of course the server provider keeps track of Total bandwidth but that doesn't help explain who is downloading when or what or even how much.  (anyone picking up how disgusted I am with the software?)

So unless someone sits with a printout of the log and works with some spreadsheet software to keep track of who downloaded what and which group they were in (and I'm not volunteering) we're going to have to take some educated guesses for now.

In your own phrasing yoc: "HOLY CATS!"  See that's what I meant by a Herculean effort.  Don't blame you for not volunteering, and you can be sure I've already taken a step back.  (Probably 2 so that your closer to the volunteer line than I am.)

Maybe a day-by-day breakdown would let the rest of us have some clue of what's going on.

As far as the software's concerned, its simple: Let's just switch to another program ;).  Shouldn't cause too many problem with the site, now should it?  ;D

Well, g'night all, I really need to get to bed.

Take care,

DHFH
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 04:25:17 AM »

Thanks, for these comments. I will think them over.
ip icon Logged

tbdeinc

message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 12:35:12 AM »

how many GIGs is the site currently?

GPG
ip icon Logged

tbdeinc

message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 07:45:50 PM »

what about a mirror site?
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 04:59:18 AM »

how many GIGs is the site currently?

GPG

I can't remember where I saw it or even who said it, but I think one number mentioned was 140 GB, but that wouldn't include new files from the last week or so, and should only get larger as time goes by.  The JVJ Project alone will add significantly to that total.
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »

No, its much more then 140 gigs. Its more like double this. Its growing daily. The site is massive, and during the transfer of this site, the host actually shut us down because they were uncertain when and how long the uploading to their new server would end. Believe me, this was a nightmare, which actually involved many calls to the host in terms of the purpose of the site and the content. Its all ok now.

A mirror site was reviewed, and not deemed viable, as it would encounter similar operational issues and become confusing to others.

Torrents remain an option, however feedback has shown that members perfer this be an archive and an organized one at that. I think we have someone working on a spreadsheet (and if your out there give me a shout!)

I am happy to say after some review, and as the site expands, alot will remain unchanged, for VIP members. For all other members free comics will remain for all as well, however, somewhat restricted as we look at future operational issues and future trends in technology such as new members looking for content for their handheld devices.  The site's purpose and vision has now expanded to not just goldenage fans but new fans looking for new comic content and becoming introduced to the goldenage.

I would to thank all who have responded to this post, it has provided a genuine open view and trying to see solutions at various different perspectives. This feedback was important in the site's growth and future development.

More on this later today.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »

I'm glad to see this site going onward and upward! If there's something you need help with, put it out there. I for one would love to help if I can. I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way.
ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:26 PM »

Hi.
I have been away for a long time, involved with other projects.
After coming back. I have discovered the problems with the new server
and read the post concerning the distribution of these comics in torrents.

Let me  tell you that several years ago I posted on zcultfm (and it was announced here)
over 25 torrents with  comics from this site. Those torrents are still
online and can be downloaded from demonoid.com and from h33t.com.
Just search for "Golden Age Chronology" or under my list of torrents.   
Most are are still seeded. If not, just send me a pm and I'll try to seed.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »

Hi.
I have been away for a long time, involved with other projects.
After coming back. I have discovered the problems with the new server
and read the post concerning the distribution of these comics in torrents.

Let me  tell you that several years ago I posted on zcultfm (and it was announced here)
over 25 torrents with  comics from this site. Those torrents are still
online and can be downloaded from demonoid.com and from h33t.com.
Just search for "Golden Age Chronology" or under my list of torrents.   
Most are are still seeded. If not, just send me a pm and I'll try to seed.

Good to see you around Citaltras!  :)
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slingsla
message icon
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »

It seems like torrents could play a nice supporting role to the main structure of the site.  Like a torrent package of a comic series could be distributed once it is completed or gets to be a sizeable number.  And a torrent link could be placed alongside regular download links for that comic.  That could take some transfer load off the site and I'm sure myself and others would be happy seeding it. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »

If you notice when you try to download a Max file it takes you to an external link. If we can get more of this we may well be able to go back to unlimited for all. IF Janus pops back up maybe we can work at getting some people to take on such a project.
ip icon Logged

NightRelic

message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 03:16:29 AM »

I've been away a long time too. But I really like this website and currently can't download anything.

I would be interested in contributing money, if that will help, or possibly scans (I have a bunch of Airboy comics, though I haven't yet checked if you're missing the ones I have). Whatever I need to do to get back to a downloading status.

I would be interested in helping keep things going with this site. I'll continue checking this thread for further instructions.

Thanks!
Dave
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2010, 05:32:39 AM »

Set for the month NightRelic
ip icon Logged

NightRelic

message icon
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 05:45:55 AM »

Wow, thanks narfstar! Let me know how I can help out. I'll keep my downloading to a reasonable amount and will be looking into what I need to do to contribute scans after I do my taxes. Arghh!
Thanks!
Dave
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 06:04:01 AM »

Update, the site has been growing in terms of users, the newbie rate does help, however, whoever is interested in VIP status can get this by scans or donatations: donate@goldenagecomics.co.uk. If you do this, please advise and I will publically state the numeric total anymously.
I am sorry, I have not been able to work on the site as quick as I should and this is just another method to keep up with the interest and to get everyone downloading all the books they want.

You can email me or your friendly mod, who will advise me and I will update your status asap.

cheers

Janus
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.