in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Favourite Actress

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Favourite Actress  (Read 1614 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Favourite Actress
« on: May 08, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »

Who's your favourite comic book related actress?

News that Charlize Theron is to star as the Amazon warrior Andy (Andromache of Scythia) in the movie adaptation of Greg Rucka's excellent The Old Guard, has reminded me she would make the cut in any list I produce.

She first caught my attention in the outstanding neo-noir Two Days in the Valley (don't miss it) way back when; impressed me with her athleticism in Aeon Flux (though it was a dreary CGI-dominated film); dominated Woody Allen's comic-book-ish pulp parody Curse of the Jade Scorpion; added some bite to Snow White & the Huntsman and appears to have founded a new comic-book movie franchise with Atomic Blonde - a second is in the works.

Definitely up there in my top ten - how about you?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Favourite Actress
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »

Well, I've always been a fan of ScarJo. and she actually did her first comic book film back in 2001 with 'Ghost World' which was a adaptation of a graphic novel. She was also in 'The Spirit' movie about which we'll say no more. She's been in no less than 7 Marvel movies to date, 8 with the upcoming Black Widow.
Then
Carolyn Jones
, Mortica from 'The Addams Family'. and also played 'Marsha, Queen of Diamonds' on Batman and Queen Hippolyta in Wonder Woman. Believe it or don't! I'd have to rate Anne Francis for Honey West. But, you say, that wasn't a comic. Well, there was one Dell comic and MOONSTONE did a series and a couple of team-ups with her. Then of course there is Julie Newmar, the Catwoman.
Cheers!       
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 09:26:43 AM »

I feel so old.  I know very little about current or recent actors. And I haven't watched many modern films, superhero ones included, so any list of actresses whose work I enjoy wont be particularly relevant.
Just to display my taste, or lack of it, Lauren Bacall in The Big Sleep; Nicola Walker in most anything; Julia Roberts in most anything; Elisabeth Sladen in Doctor Who - and her character has had many comicbook appearances; Veronica Lake in a couple of Alan Ladd films; Juliet Aubrey in Primeval; both Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg in The Avengers - again both their characters have been in comics.
Sorry to be a bit off-topic.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 11:19:21 PM »

Betty Page barely qualifies as an actress, mainly appearing in one reel 8mm fetish films. Her form and poses have been the inspiration for many a comic book artist over the generations.
I noticed in one island adventure  book reviewed here recently all the native girls looked like Betty Page.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 04:31:32 AM »

Like Paw I'm completely out of touch with modern movies, and unlike him I'm also completely out of touch with modern television. About all I do is watch the occasional Perry Mason rerun on the blurry screen of my steam-powered visagraph. The one vaguely comic-related actress I can celebrate is/was the scrumptious Diana Rigg. Her Avengers episodes exploded onto the American scene at just the right time for me to be, um, stimulated by the sight of her prowling about in her zippered leather catsuit. My crush continued in On Her Majesty's Secret Service and I was heartbroken when she died in the last scene. Ah, Diana!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 03:22:34 AM »

Lynda Carter. She was and still is truly magnificent.
Still the best looking Wonder Woman. Even the not so great costume specifically designed to obscure that marvelous booty couldn't prevent that.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »

How could i have missed out Ms. Carter.  Thank you Captain, you're absolutely right. ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.