in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Lost Heroes of the Golden Age

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Lost Heroes of the Golden Age  (Read 2845 times)

gregjh

message icon
Lost Heroes of the Golden Age
« on: May 10, 2020, 02:58:57 AM »

A really cool youtube series that deserves more attention than it's received yet. Videos are made to a high standard. The first one I discovered was "Golden Age Ghost Rider" and it may have been that video that led me to discover this wonderful site I'm posting on right now. Love me some Tim Holt Ghost Rider!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQdtO4ybk4VwU77ZD69v63Q
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Lost Heroes of the Golden Age
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »

Gregjh, hi. Sounds like this might be your first post?
We usually greet people on their first post, so greetngs. Thanks for the link. An excellent resource. Now you can read the comics that the videos talk about. At least most of them. Some golden age publishers are not PD,[Public Domai]  so their works are not on this site. 
Welcome!   
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 06:17:47 AM »

Hi Greg - good to meetcha!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »

Thanks for the tip, Greg.  There's some lovely stuff on FizzFop1's site.  Just don't believe all you hear on it, particularly some of the stuff about Mick Anglo and Miracle Man. It's all really well done, just inaccurate in a couple of places, but easy to get wrong, as "experts" have written the same nonsense. Miracle Man/Superhombre was nothing to do with Mr. Anglo, having been created in Spain for Editorial Ferma Barcelona in 1958 by Joan Llarch and Emilio Giralt Ferrando.  It was this Spanish title that was translated into English and re-titled Miracle Man for Top Sellers in '64/'65.  Well, not quite nothing as it is possible that Mr. Anglo was involved in the re-packaging of the Top sellers English reprint.  Not that I can find much info. on that particular item.

ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 01:47:18 AM »

Gregjh, hi. Sounds like this might be your first post?
We usually greet people on their first post, so greetngs. Thanks for the link. An excellent resource. Now you can read the comics that the videos talk about. At least most of them. Some golden age publishers are not PD,[Public Domai]  so their works are not on this site. 
Welcome!   

Hi there, I was here a few months ago and donated a very small amount but I lost my password and couldn't get in! My schedule is usually crazy anyway but with this lockdown I've had some quality time available to catch up on GA Ghost Rider and re-register here.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 01:49:32 AM »

Thanks for the tip, Greg.  There's some lovely stuff on FizzFop1's site.  Just don't believe all you hear on it, particularly some of the stuff about Mick Anglo and Miracle Man. It's all really well done, just inaccurate in a couple of places, but easy to get wrong, as "experts" have written the same nonsense. Miracle Man/Superhombre was nothing to do with Mr. Anglo, having been created in Spain for Editorial Ferma Barcelona in 1958 by Joan Llarch and Emilio Giralt Ferrando.  It was this Spanish title that was translated into English and re-titled Miracle Man for Top Sellers in '64/'65.  Well, not quite nothing as it is possible that Mr. Anglo was involved in the re-packaging of the Top sellers English reprint.  Not that I can find much info. on that particular item.

Noted, and thanks for the tip. I'm just watching the "Phantom Lady" video at the moment, it seems a bit sleazy which is not what  I want from my comics so I might pass on it but it's still interesting to learn about the history.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:52:01 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 01:08:53 PM »

Some years back for my blog, I did some very nice clean-ups of a pile of GHOST RIDER covers, and later, attempted to do the same with the entire run of TIM HOLT / RED MASK covers.

https://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2011/09/ghost-rider.html

Few things annoy me the way it does when Marvel fans refer to the 1967 series as "the original Ghost Rider", when apart from the identical costume and the same artist involved (Dick Ayers), they have no connection, as editor (and sometimes dialogue writer) Roy Thomas created entirely-different (and terribly-boring) characters for the new version. Magazine Enterprises editor Vincent Sullivan actually threatened Marvel publisher Martin Goodman with legal action over it, resulting in the title being cancelled abruptly, the name of their western character being changed (more than once), and a brand-new BIKER character called "Ghost Rider" being created, just so Goodman could happily continue ripping off character names from defunct publishers.

Looking back, I would have much preferred if their early-70s supernatural horror biker book had been called "JOHNNY BLAZE"-- or "HELL RIDER".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:11:21 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.