in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Heaven knows I'm miserable now

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Heaven knows I'm miserable now  (Read 471 times)

Morris_E_Smith

message icon
Heaven knows I'm miserable now
« on: May 12, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »

Hello,

I thought I'd tell you what brought me here before I go and ask for help (and then, in traditional messageboard style, I get one of two one-line responses from people who are sick and tired telling newbies they've missed FAQ X and failed to search for term Y).

Back in the late 80s I got my monthly copy of my favourite computer magazine and it had a free comic in it. The comic was so good that I subscribed to it, and I kept adding more and more to the pile, individual issues, annuals, and specials.

After years of working around the country, no fixed address, and everything going into the room I'd grown up in, I meet my wife-to-be and we move into a flat that has one cupboard - and she wants it for tins of soup and so on.

Kid on the way, so mum agrees that I can store my comics, music collection, football & music fanzines in the empty cupboard, in the empty room, in their big, empty house, until I've got somewhere for them. Then when the second child comes along I add in another 4 years worth.

Sadly mum passed on. A year later dad asks if I still want the stuff in the cupboard and I say yes. Another year passed and a friend sent me a link to Gumtree, free comic books. Oh Jesus. Of course they've already been snapped up - same day they were put up. Dad's number. I call him, ask if the individual issues are still there...

"Oh, I took all that worthless old sh*** to the dump. You'll never read those again."

What should be about 270 copies turns out to be about 50, so I'm in the process of trawling the net and trying to put together a digital collection. If I find the older ones in comic book reader or PDF format and they're complete, job done. If not, I have to find a complete scan or a paper copy. Sadly a lot of the online editions have chunks missing.

So I'll be on my way. Going to play with the scanner.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Heaven knows I'm miserable now
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:41:15 PM »

Hi Morris,
You would be surprised how many others have similar tales to tell.my Dad didn't throw out my comic collection. But he did throw out my antique organ and my 1940's Valve Radio with its beautiful sound. My comic collection I had to sell myself, due to being seriously in need of funds. And that was at a time when there wasn't much interest in comics so what I got for a 20 year collection was a pittance. And then I didn't get paid, so had to chase the buyer. I also had some stolen at a later date when I had a much smaller collection.
Yes, you can find much on the Web, if you know where to look. This site is careful about legality and we try to ensure that everything here is PD [Public Domain] so we don't post links to sites that may be problematic.
You haven't named any particular comics.I'd be interested to know what you are looking for. 
I thought I'd tell you what brought me here before I go and ask for help (and then, in traditional messageboard style, I get one of two one-line responses from people who are sick and tired telling newbies they've missed FAQ X and failed to search for term Y).
Currently we don't disparage or discourage newbies, you shouldn't get that kind of response here.
Life is too short to be miserable. So welcome.

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:13:57 AM »

Welcome Morris - you're at home here.

As Panther says, there are similar tales to tell. Once the owner of a glorious silver age collection, I arrived home one day from university to find my mother had given them away to a kid down the street - that was decades ago. Mothers! Who'd have them?!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:46:12 AM »

Welcome to CB+ Morris. Same here.  My mother chucked my comics out.  Someting about being a young man now and no time for kids stuff.  I'm an awful lot older than you and I was able to build a new collection later on with the acceptance of a, still, slightly perplexed wife.
You should be ok here.  Ask your questions.  Someone will help if they can.  But as Panther writes, we're very wary of posting links to stuff that isn't pd or orphaned.
ip icon Logged

Morris_E_Smith

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 11:00:15 PM »

Hmmm...seems to be a common scenario. Had the full Oink! collection go down the pan as well.

The most cruel thing of all was that he held on to Broons/Oor Wullie books that are 6 for
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 11:59:46 PM »

The most cruel thing of all was that he held on to Broons/Oor Wullie books that are 6 for
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.