in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Startling Stories still under copyright?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Startling Stories still under copyright?  (Read 584 times)

JuliantheUnknown

message icon
Startling Stories still under copyright?
« on: May 18, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »

I hate to do this especially as this is my first post to the forums and site. However, I can
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Startling Stories still under copyright?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 02:13:26 AM »

JuliantheUnknown, I'm not on staff but I think I can give you an answer. We try to make sure everything here is PD, but that is probably an impossible job, particularly when, as you point out, things that are PD are constantly getting renewed.
which would have meant both were impacted by the 1976 and then 1998 copyright extension acts meaning both should still be in copyright.
Also, we live in a time,  re cultural artifacts, like books, magazines, comics and music, where companies are bought up by new companies who then ransack the properties to see what they can reprint or renew. Also, now that Superheroes Movies are seen as a license to print money, [and Science Fiction properties] there are people scouring those for ideas and copyrights they can use. There are also no magic wands to efficiently find out what has come back into copyright at any given time. If approached by lawyers requesting that such and such a title is taken down, CB+ will comply. CB+ is also non-profit so theres no financial gain involved by CB+, which helps I would think. l There are probably other properties on the site whose provenance has changed. Its also complicates things that the laws can be different in different countries. So, British Commonwealth and US properties are mostly under the same laws, Europe under another and Canada under another. And if you are big enough, like the Mouse's company, you can change the rules.
Ironically, there are individuals out there who have taken advantage of the fact that most of what you will see on this site is PD to republish them to make money out of them. Easy Money, they think.   
CB+ is here, it survives, hell, it more than survives, its still growing and those who put the work and energy into it do what they can and should be commended for it.
Oh, and good first post and Welcome. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Cheers!     
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 02:35:42 AM »

I have a vague memory of a thread, possibly here or on DCM, that while the information on the original term of copyright is easy to find, the government records on renewals less so.

There was some comment, possibly tongue in cheek, about marking a renewal with an R in pencil on the original form and renewal cards getting lost behind file cabinets.

If true that would explain why something would seem to be PD until a rights holder (with their own copy of the renewal form) has to complain.
ip icon Logged

JuliantheUnknown

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 04:50:16 AM »

Ah thank you for the explanation. And apologies for the late response - my router decided to die leaving me without internet for several days.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.