in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello All!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello All!  (Read 431 times)

thegr8mirror

message icon
Hello All!
« on: May 25, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »

Hi All,
I've been a huge comic book fan for over 40 years. I read a bit of everything, from underground, to indie, to mainstream. Golden age to modern. Camp to literature. I love all things comics.

I joined the site in hopes of finding out more about this public domain thing. I'm designing a superhero game and I really want to use old public domain characters. What I don't know is what I'm allowed to use with regards to art, character IP, etc. I have no plans of my game ever being hugely successful, so I also don't want to get hit with legal issues. (especially with something that will be a passion vs profit project).

Now I'm off to dig through the forums and find out more.

Later

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:45:58 PM by thegr8mirror »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Hello All!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »

Welcome thegr8mirror!

I have no plans of my game every being hugely successful,

Oh come now, don't be so modest. You can be the next John Romero or John Carmack! 

I really want to use old public domain characters. What I don't know is what I'm allowed to use

If you don't mind my suggestion, start by thinking about what characters the game needs and then see if you can find those types of characters here. Be assured if you get specific about what you are looking for there are people here who will help you. 

Cheers!

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:09:37 PM »

A hearty welcome thegr8mirror!

Your reference to a superhero game suggests to me you are the GREAT Manila-based gamer (and IT expert) that some of us have stumbled across in admiration? Or am I totally out of here?

Meanwhile, there are sure to be suitable heroes here for whatever direction your game takes. I hope you make millions from it.
ip icon Logged

thegr8mirror

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »

If you don't mind my suggestion, start by thinking about what characters the game needs and then see if you can find those types of characters here. Be assured if you get specific about what you are looking for there are people here who will help you. 

I want to use superheroes with a mix of powers. Some that are actually cool, such as the Black Terror and The Arrow. Some that are silly but will make gameplay interesting, such as Dynamite Thor, The Bouncer, The Detective Eye.
ip icon Logged

thegr8mirror

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 05:57:56 PM »

Your reference to a superhero game suggests to me you are the GREAT Manila-based gamer (and IT expert) that some of us have stumbled across in admiration? Or am I totally out of here?

I seem to be at a disadvantage.
Yes, I am a Manila-based gamer. Not sure about the great part, though I can hold my own.
I used to be in the IT field, though not at the moment.
Are you based in Manila? 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:22:00 AM »

You might try this thread here. Which was started recently.
Golden Age Hero A-Z
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=17761.0

A few Details on the ones in my list:-
Both versions of FunnyMan might have possibilities.
Grenade - only one appearance - A NaZI killed his brother with a grenade, so, yep, he went around killing NAZis with Grenades.
Impossible Man - If I remember correctly, the Golden Age version was born on a planet where everybody had superpowers, except him!
Kid Eternity - could bring back any historical person to fight or solve a problem for him. Now a DC Character, but you could use the idea under another name.
Phantasmo - let you find out that one by yourself.
Quicksilver - Marvel grabbed the name, DC brought him back as MAX MERCURY
The Yama Lama of Ka-Bang - one appearance only - a sort Golden Age 'Ancient One'

Try this Database - Not all of these will be on this site, and there will be Heroes on this site that are non--USA characters that are not on this list.
https://pdsh.fandom.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes       
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.