in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Seeking Old School Printing Supplies & Resources

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Seeking Old School Printing Supplies & Resources  (Read 1542 times)

The Ghost Man

message icon
Seeking Old School Printing Supplies & Resources
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »

Greetings all,
       I'm currently in creative collaboration with another artist who's seriously interested in tracking down and obtaining old comic printing supplies, or any and all old-school printing/publishing supplies or resources. This includes Ben Day, Craftint, print stripping materials, etc. He's already developed a method to duplicate the exact look of old color comics and is seeking to refine this process. He and I are working on a creative project to produce new creative content based upon the Golden-Age style. If anyone has any sources or leads to help him secure any of these vintage materials, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Seeking Old School Printing Supplies & Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 03:06:13 AM »

This is something that will not be easy, but should be well-worth doing. I can not give you any specific help, but a few suggestions.
First, funding. Can you get a backer, scholarship, project-funding  or anything of that nature? Because there would be expenses as well as time involved.
Yes, make what you are trying to get known on as many relevant blogs as you can.
Advertise or look on sites like EBAY.  Look at sites for professional printing supplies - you might get the attention of other professionals who can help you.
email organizations like Comics Journal, who have networks and can publicise.   
An aside, are you aware that the Renaissance painters had to start from scratch, developing pigments and colors? 
This site is pigments through the ages.
http://www.webexhibits.org/pigments/intro/renaissance.html
Record and keep your data, your material can the source material for a new discipline.
Maybe a book, eventually.
Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
Re: Seeking Old School Printing Supplies & Resources
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:22:36 PM »

Thanks AP, yes in 2020, this is quite an endeavor as most of these supplies are either very rare, non-existent or what remains may be in poor shape due to age. My friend in this project is trying to go through the old print-prep process and salvage elements, then update or refine it into something brand new. His method already is outstanding and I'll see if he'll give me permission to show a piece of his work here. I think he believes as I do in my own developing work, that outstanding is just a stage. To truly make a difference and make your work take on a life of its own creatively is the goal. If you can't produce astounding things that attract and compel the viewer, then it should remain a hobby. But if you have something to deliver, you have to work like mad to drag it into this world. By force of determination and grit, who dares, wins.

Comic Book + was responsible for germinating this dream, for it provided the Platinum and Golden-Age treasures which took off in my imagination. To me they were never just comic books, but an experience in a world framed in pulp. Those lines have life imbued by the energy, the sweat and toil of their creators, whose imagination were set loose upon the page. There's always been a home-fire feeling reading these books of a simpler age where heroes and heroines walked tall with pride, confidence and righteousness. The way they carried themselves and the power of their character took hold of you and inspired you to stand up tall, and spit in the face of fear. Clamber over challenges and be determined to fight evil and shield and defend the oppressed. These were the sources that made me who I am and what I stand for and I know I'm not alone in this.

They were never, ever, just comic books.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.