in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Greetings from The Bicycling Guitarist

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Greetings from The Bicycling Guitarist  (Read 467 times)

TBG

message icon
Greetings from The Bicycling Guitarist
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:46:42 PM »

Hi folks. I have played the same guitar while riding the same bicycle more than one hundred thousand miles over thirty-five years writing hundreds of original songs. I learned when you ride over sharps, you get flats. If I may share just one of my songs to introduce myself, I will. This is a recent one (from March) and, while it is not directly comic book related, it does have a bit where it goes to line drawing.
https://youtu.be/IMmrWUInTLc

I am also a lifetime scholar of science and history. I found this site when searching for digital scans of comic books from and about World War II. I already have many, but there can never be too many comic books! I look forward to meeting you all and learning more about you and this site. Thanks for letting me join. TBG
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Greetings from The Bicycling Guitarist
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:21:39 AM »

Well, welcome TBG. I once met a couple in Ghana who were attempting to bicycle around the world They were Australian - if I remember correctly, had started by bicycling acros Indonesia,up through SE Asia and and from there to the Americas. Their Africa leg had started in South Africa, and they were on their way to Morocco. I heard from them later by mail [PreInternet] They had gotten to Morocco - but had to go through a war zone and a minefield. Because of that, they took a break and went back to Aussie for some RnR. I never did find out if they got back on the road and finished the trip.
I'm very interested in knowing where your travels have taken you.
Can't think of any bicycle comics but many Golden Age comics have Bicycle ads. Sometimes the ads are more interesting that the comics!
The nice thing about a website, if you travel around , its always there.
"Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- Buckaroo Banzai 
Cheers!         
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 06:38:06 AM »

Welcome TBG! You sound like one of us!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »

Pleasure to have you here, TBG. Lots to discover and enjoy, and please feel free to join in the chat.
ip icon Logged

TBG

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »

@The Australian Panther

I haven't had to go through an actual war zone, but every time I ride in traffic there's a chance something bad will happen. I have literally risked my life many thousands of times for rock and roll. Not many musicians can say that as honestly as I can.

Most of my miles are within twenty miles of wherever I was living at the time. In the 1980s I used to go on 30 mile round trips to the next town and back, playing nonstop all the way even up the hills of the frontage roads. In the 1990s I commuted to college five days a week ten miles against the wind in the morning, then ten miles back also against the wind (it shifted) in the afternoon after classes ended. It was like going uphill both ways!

In the fall of 2014 I was performing two two-hour concerts a day four or five days a week at the local park bandstand. It took 20 minutes to get there from my home, then I rode for two hours on stage, then 40 minutes back (uphill to get home and a little tired). Every hour I ride is about ten miles traveled, because I keep the bicycle in first gear all the time.

The miles add up over the years. What amazes me is they were all using the same bicycle and the same guitar all those miles, all those years. And even more amazing for either a bicyclist or a guitarist is that was the only bicycle and that was the only guitar I have owned all those years too, no others. Most bicyclists have more than one bicycle; most guitarists more than one guitar. this is just another way I am weird. When all the other ways are considered, that hardly makes a difference!

Thanks for your kind welcome, you and the others. It's a pleasure to meet you.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:13:05 PM by TBG »
ip icon Logged

TBG

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 09:15:14 PM »

Sometimes I feel like a superhero. My superpower is bicycle guitaring which brings smiles to peoples' faces. More than one person has thanked me in person and online for what I do. They say they were having a bad day until seeing something as ridiculous as a bicycling guitarist broke their bad mood like being slapped in the face with a fish.

Just as Batman has his Batmobile, I too have a superhero vehicle. Since I am a traveling minstrel, it is of course The Minstrel Cycle. And I'm not saying I am Batman, but you will never see Batman and me both playing guitar on a bicycle at the same time. Just saying.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 01:09:18 AM »

TBG,

this is just another way I am weird. When all the other ways are considered, that hardly makes a difference!

No, don't say that! You are just unique. One thing I know about you is that you are fit. And have good co-ordination. And probably bring joy to quite a lot of people - particularly children?
You reminded me also, I had [Had only because I don't know where he is now and so I am out of touch] a friend who was a professional busker. And when he busked in his hometown he bicycled to get to which ever spot he had picked out. When a music group or performer that he liked toured Australia, He would follow them from city to city - not on a bicycle - and busk outside the gig to pay his transport costs and the cost of the ticket to see the show. AH Memories!

Anyway enjoy the comics!         
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.