in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

What happened to Yoc?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

topic icon Author Topic: What happened to Yoc?  (Read 13236 times)

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: What happened to Yoc?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »

Right now I think he's just "Yoc still falling down the chasm fighting the Balrog" to return later as Yoc the White.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »

He's projected his consciousness onto alien worlds where he's taking over plant life simulacra of himself.  When he gets done with that, he'll be home.  Check your house plants. ;-)
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »

Great news that a new Captain is now at the helm but to bad that the navagator seems to have been cast adrift  :'(

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »

He's clinging to a dinghy for dear life! Po' little Yoc!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »

"A guilty conscience needs no accuser"!
ip icon Logged

fett

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: fett
message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »

Any updates on the status of Yoc's old account? Seems it has been established that the data to restore his old account still exists, so what's the holdup? This gentleman is one of the people who made this site what it is today and does not deserve to be treated so shabbily.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »

Does anyone have contact info for him?
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 07:00:56 AM »

Yoc's been a good buddy to many of us here and in his time put in HOURS to keep this site ticking over.

So sad that he should end up being an 'outsider' as seems to now be the case  :(
-Nigel
ip icon Logged

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:46 AM »

Check the Back-Up forum.
It's not pretty but he's told his story there.

<deleted>
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:20:06 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

fett

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: fett
message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:37 AM »

And they say all the lying politicians are in Washington!! ;) Nice classy piece of work there Janus.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »

" the truth is out there "
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skybandit
message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »

Well, that did it for me.  Janus has already turned this into a pay-site (my time is valuable, isn't your?) by forcing people to post or upload to get upgrades, so I'm deleting most of my messages before I leave the forum.  Personal attacks from that kid Boox909 or that smarmy JVJ I could handle, but I'm not gonna contribute anything else here for somebody that does a friend that way.

See y'all!  I'll miss most of you.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:27:02 PM by skybandit »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

phabox

message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »

I wonder how long it'll be before much of this thread just VANISHES the way a post from Annette did a little while ago ?

-Nigel

P.S. Watch this space  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:42:38 PM by phabox »
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »

Well, that did it for me.  Janus has already turned this into a pay-site (my time is valuable, isn't your?) by forcing people to post or upload to get upgrades, so I'm deleting most of my messages before I leave the forum.  Personal attacks from that kid Boox909 or that smarmy JVJ I could handle, but I'm not gonna contribute anything else here for somebody that does a friend that way.

To be fair, becoming a VIP rested on donating to the site or uploading scans since I joined nearly two years ago ... so Janus changed nothing there.  In special cases, members have been granted VIP status based on other contributions they've made to the site.  How he handled "Newbies" was his choice, since he's the owner.

Boox is ... Boox!  That's the way he is, the same way you are the way you are.  He's not a bad guy and he certainly doesn't hold a grudge against people he's gotten "into it" with.  And I wouldn't bad-mouth JVJ if he came over to my house and burned all my comics.  He's one of the most respectful people I've run across on the net, not to mention being honest & sincere.  I can't imagine how he could rub anyone the wrong way.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »

To be fair, becoming a VIP rested on donating to the site or uploading scans since I joined nearly two years ago ... so Janus changed nothing there.  In special cases, members have been granted VIP status based on other contributions they've made to the site.  How he handled "Newbies" was his choice, since he's the owner.

Boox is ... Boox!  That's the way he is, the same way you are the way you are.  He's not a bad guy and he certainly doesn't hold a grudge against people he's gotten "into it" with.  And I wouldn't bad-mouth JVJ if he came over to my house and burned all my comics.  He's one of the most respectful people I've run across on the net, not to mention being honest & sincere.  I can't imagine how he could rub anyone the wrong way.

Thank you for your words Bchat. I know that you and I tiff sometimes, so I do appreciate your realizing that I am just who I am. I trust that Sky will continue forum participation.

B.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »

Thank you for your words Bchat. I know that you and I tiff sometimes, so I do appreciate your realizing that I am just who I am. I trust that Sky will continue forum participation.

B.

You & I got off on the wrong foot ...  early-on it was a "difference of opinions", and there was what I'll call a miscommunication more recently.  Neither is hardly a reason to think you're a bad person.  Your views on Project Superpowers, though ... !

As for Sky, that's his decision to make as to whether he stays or goes.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »

First off, I am positive that many of you join me in thanking Yoc for the literal blood, sweat, and tears that he poured into the site -- the man has earned himself a place among the legends of fandom and rightfully deserves our respect, admiration, and friendship.

Secondly, when abrupt change occurs -- such as new ownership -- miscommunications happen, signals are mixed, the old order bunches up against the new. All that I can hope for is that Janus and Yoc can work toward a resolution that could bring Yoc back to GAC. In that hope, I simply will pray for the best concerning Yoc, Janus, and the future of GAC.

Third, I continue to support GAC. Janus knows that he has my support. The community has my support. Folks, I wrote in jest somewhere previously that I had planned to become a millioniare so that I could afford to purchase all of the Golden Age gems I pleased. With the reality of GAC, none of us have to aspire to such lofty goals, at least where Golden Age comic books are concerned. I implore all of you to support GAC. Scans, donations, posts, all give vital life to what has become a living community. I believe in GAC.

Fourth, I know that it can be hard, but let us all be a bit kinder to each other. Be it here on GAC or in the back up forum (which should be thought of as a sister forum, rather than a back up I guess). Both sites matter, both sites host valued friends and associates, both are home to people we view as family. I for one do not wish to lose that sense of comradery.

Regards,
B.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:37:02 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »

Yikes!... What a mess eh?   ???

I was wondering what happened to Yoc and some of the other regular admins... sad to hear of his dispute with the new owner/management.

Best of luck Yoc... your informed opinions and free exchange of ideas which enriched the discussions here on GAC regarding GA comics (not to mention your tireless, generous efforts to make the site what it is/was) will be missed.  :(
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »

I agree totally with boox. I really do miss Yoc's exchanges here in the forums
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »

"Smarmy"?

LOL.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »

While what happened to Yoc leaves a bad taste in my mouth I am, first and foremost, here for GAC and it's members. I hope to be a part of it going forward and will do my utmost to serve it's members. People like boox, Narf, JVJ, bchat, & fett help make this site what it is and I heartily thank them for their time and effort in everything they are involved with. And sky, just a friendly word of warning - don't badmouth JVJ. He is one of the most, if not THE most respected member of this community.
Asking members to contribute something to this FREE site is not a lot to ask. Last I knew, everyone except newbies gets unlimited downloads. If that's not enough for you, sorry.
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 05:15:22 AM »

I guess I will respond, although I have not read Yoc's story, I have emailed him a few times and most recently Tue 23/03/2010 3:32 PM. It is not possible to add Yoc, back without risk to the database. he simply has to reapply, that is the best I can do and provide him VIP/JVJ status. It is very difficult to communicate the tech challenges with Yoc, so Admin would not happen again. I leave the tech and admin items to myself now. Discussing CPU trottle and trying to prove it everyday was insane to someone that is not technical. - it was not fun, and the direction always seemed to be going in negative path due to lack of understanding.

Yoc has not responded to my emails, and its possible he is already on this site as another member . I have not checked IP's (and its something you should all beware of that not necessarily anyone is gone here). Yes there are some, former users here, I saw there IP's...they are just not being honest about it, but you all will figure it out by the aggressive tone and attitude in their messages (its kind of easy - but I leave that up to you all to figure out - just read in between the lines, and look at some of their status/IPs/background of the issues). I have no time to monitor this, but can see it.

The challenge has always been the site is growing and has very poor coding here. Even the former owner struggled to the point he gave up on it and I took over. The site is rooted out of a torrent site, the script is not advanced and conflicts alot with this server. Alot of time and even a coder has went into this.

I have tried to reach out to some members who had a coding background and well, Yoc was upset that I was asking for help here. Ultimately, alot of challenges I have encountered with the site is "your problem", do not ask anyone to help you do the tech stuff, and I should even apologize for asking. Apparently, I should pay for the site myself, server costs, technical problems and not ask anyone, because that would be wrong and I would be harming the users because these are public domain books. This is essentially, why Yoc was upset. While I am technical, I do not know everything and do need help at times.

To say I have turned this into a pay site is a lie. where is it a pay site? The previous owner and please read the logs here wanted a subscription of 10.00 a month and he took donations! I have no subscriptions and I continue to tell, and promote (as you can all see here) DO NOT DONATE (for months). If you insist on donating no problem. Ultimately this is the conflict, some users like Yoc believe the site is a pay site. When in fact its just a false belief. Who on Goldenage is paying a subscription here? No one. If anyone has donated anything here, and its just been a hand full, and since donations are not even yearly, but one time only, what does that work out over life of the site?  is this the pay site people are talking about? I do have to diagress here, and thank any donators here. I apologize that some users force me to be in a position where I have to justify the few of who do donate, that the site just limps by, but of course these users believe the site magically runs on air  and believe everything is my reasonabily and that I am morally wrong to take any help from others in the form of donations, because that means the site is a "pay site". Believe me what I have recieved would not even come close to covering one month on the former owner's server...that is how modest donations are here. Yes, "pay site" again, if you all only knew, I encourage anyone to publically post what they donate. But then again, why am I in this position, when there are sites, with sponsors, and surviving quite well, I have to have these debates that seem more agenda based then realistic, because some people do not understand what it takes to run a site like this.

I have personally and moderators have requested users be bumped to VIP status for FREE. I just did a few last week. Should I name them? I think you all know who they already are, just do the research, and hey - even you reading this right now might have recieved VIP status for FREE as well, and you know its true, so do not let negative agressive users promote their agenda.

I think people just get on their agenda and want to believe the site is pay site, when that simply is not the case. Its actually very misleading and dishonest to communicate this to the users. Look and see the reality yourself.

Sadly, I am usually trying to communicate to people the challenges I have and others bash and attack me saying it will be a pay site? Its all sad, that people want to see things one way and not understand the other view of actually running and operating the site. I know alot of people want and insist on being blind to what the owner has to go through here, and honesly, it is unfair to me. But, that is ok I can deal with it.

Ultimately, the challenge is some people do not understand the challenges using some of these scripts, working with servers. People have their own dreams, goals, and believe that things should say as it is, unfortunately, the technology of this script is so bad, I need help, sometimes that is a coder, and other costs. I know people do not like change and have emailed Yoc, to come back and he simply has not responded. It is sad, however, I have to see this from a technical perspective and if anyone can help technically or donation wise, I am sorry but it really does help if you are working behind the scenes. if you do not know the challenges here, you will always put others like myself and the site down unfairly and unjustly. if you all only could understand what is currently happening with the script and server right now....but I guess this is apples and oranges in terms of talking about it....if you do not get it, , you will always be in left field trying to confuse users that this is a "pay site" - excuse me? where is this - it says DO NOT DONATE.

However, I have done all I could, and I have put this matter to rest now, I thought I let you all know what I have and tried to do, and there is nothing more to say on the matter when communication has stopped. I have no more to add to the Yoc story and have done the best I could the rest is up to him.

While this is my hobby, there is alot of scripting issues popping up, I know many and most of you will not understand and I am learning that at times its all a losing battle to communicate this all to you, or else its just misinterpreted and everyone blames me. I will keep my mouth quite on the challenges and problems with the site from now on as i fear its just going to be taken out of context, much like this whole thing has become.

Thanks for your insights,

Janus
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:24:52 AM by Janus of Latium »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »

As a high school algebra teacher I understand this well. The level of communication is such that conflicts of understanding occur. The top priority of the students is grades while my top priority is learning. They do not know enough to understand my point of view and it is very frustrating for both sides. I think this is analogous to what has happened here. Both sides are operating from different perspectives and Janus is faced with the bigger picture
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »

I've tried to express two things to members;
1) This is not a pay site and no payment is required but contributions will be appreciated
2) This is not a website as much as a community or even family. I stress that if they cannot contribute books or with a donation it's not a problem, they can contribute with some meaningful posts.
I think it's good Janus came out and cleared the air with regards to donations. The one member I saw mention this being a pay site seems to have buggered off and good riddance.  Rumors do not help anyone. I'm going through a huge mess at work and upper management has so far refrained from commenting and the rumors are rampant and making things worse.
I guess we (mods, admins) will just have to stress that donations are not required. I think people are just not used to getting something for nothing. Especially comic books that in their original form can be worth thousands of dollars.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »

Thank you,Janus for keeping things going.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.