in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello from the Lone Star State!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello from the Lone Star State!  (Read 465 times)

MWRuger

message icon
Hello from the Lone Star State!
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »

Hey everybody!

I'm Texan and I'd ask you not to hold that against me!  8)

I was born in 1961 and have read comics my whole life. I started with the silver age and went from there. I still read some new issues.

I love to read and have read a lot pulps, Doc Savage, Shadow and so forth as well as loads of SF and Fantasy and Mysteries. I also read histories, bios and a other non-fiction

I am putting together a digital run of DC comics starting in the 30's and moving forward. I have 98% of them but I discovered this site and I am hoping to get a few fills. If there is something specific you can use, let me know. (I started with the MTCDC torrent from some years back if you know that one)

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Hello from the Lone Star State!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:23:09 AM »

Howdy Pilgrim!
I'm Texan and I'd ask you not to hold that against me!

Why on earth would we do that?
I'm a Queenslander, which is the equivalent in Australian Terms. Look it up if you are interested.
Perspective! When I was in London many years ago, a friend told me he had spent the day on the Strand [where Australia House, the embassy, was].He laughed and told me that when he started conversations, everybody said, 'I'm from Australia' except the Queenslanders who all said, 'I'm from Queensland!' I think you can relate?
Oh, and because I am in a cheeky mood, Queensland is at least 3 times the size of Texas. And Texas? That's a small town in South Western Queensland where they used to grow Tobacco.
All true, but I have my tongue firmly in my cheek! No offence intended. Then again, we have very little oil!     
There is a pulp section here on CB+, not large but interesting.
The comics on the site are all PD, which means 'In the public Domain' so no DC, and the collection only extends to the early 60's. No Doc Savage or Shadow for the same reasons.
But hey, I envy you! You are about to enter a whole new world of discovery and enjoyment! 
If you have any fanzines,we can probably post those!
You are very welcome!   
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:43:47 AM »

Welcome! You won't be a lone star here = plenty of new friends to share the joy of comic books with
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:05:19 AM »

Hey, MW, It's exactly what Panther says but there is a wealth of pd material on site.  Take your time checking it all out.  You're sure to discover a lot to get your teeth into.
As for being Texan, we're happy to have you here, whether you're from Texas, Queensland, or California which is 2 miles from me in Central Scotland.  More worrying is that Moscow is a bit further away in rural Ayrshire. They are both just a smidgin smaller than the American and Russian places ;)  At least in Scotland we have oil. Although with the laws on electric cars, it'll not be much use much longer.
Enjoy yourself.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »

Hey, MW, It's exactly what Panther says but there is a wealth of pd material on site.  Take your time checking it all out.  You're sure to discover a lot to get your teeth into.
As for being Texan, we're happy to have you here, whether you're from Texas, Queensland, or California which is 2 miles from me in Central Scotland.  More worrying is that Moscow is a bit further away in rural Ayrshire. They are both just a smidgin smaller than the American and Russian places ;)  At least in Scotland we have oil. Although with the laws on electric cars, it'll not be much use much longer.
Enjoy yourself.

Are any Scots driving 60's Cadillacs with the horns of a big horn steer as the hood ornament?
Can't be a true Oil Baron till you have one of those.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 02:46:19 PM »

Longhorn Highland Cows are surprisingly common in the north of Scotland (and oddly in Cornwall where I come from - on Bodmin Moor) but I have it on good authority that Scots prefer to have a pair of fluffy haggis dangling from their rearview mirror.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 03:29:02 PM »

No stetsons either, not till the tourists come back ;) 
What I have seen are 2 top of the range Maseratis round here in the last 2 days. Now that's classy. For some reason there seem to be a few new Porsches as well. And i used my own form of transport yesterday, the #38 bus. ;D
Andrew, that's cruelty to Haggii.  Poor wee things and tasty too.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »

Enjoy yourself.

Are any Scots driving 60's Cadillacs with the horns of a big horn steer as the hood ornament?
Can't be a true Oil Baron till you have one of those.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, we had a rich Dutchman conspicuously parking his big, long 1950s Cadillac with a bull horns hood ornament atop, on a street in The Centre of Den Haag.    8)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.