in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pre-Golden Age Comics / Cartoons

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Pre-Golden Age Comics / Cartoons  (Read 9708 times)

slingsla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slingsla
message icon
Pre-Golden Age Comics / Cartoons
« on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »

Anyone here also a fan of political and satirical cartoons of the 1800s/early 1900s?  I'm thinking James Gillray, William Hogarth, etc.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Pre-Golden Age Comics / Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »

I love history and all aspects of it so while it's not my forte' it's something I could get into.
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »

You would probably really like them.  Just go to wikipedia commons or do a google search for James Gillray, probably the most prolific of them.  It's a great way to get a perspective on the pulse of the time period.
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »

I was googling Percy Crosby after reading his strips "Always Belittlin'" and "Skippy" in Popular Comics. Now he's got a pretty interesting history. From what I read, the Skippy peanut butter name and logo was taken from his strip and he didn't have the resources to fight it for various reasons. Interesting conspiracy.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »

Most of the cartoons I've seen were from studying the Civil War. Not sure who did them. I found that if I just read the cartoon, I wouldn't understand it but taken in context they're usually pretty witty.
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »

Yea, it's interesting how some you just don't understand at all unless you think about the context.  But then for others, well, some themes are just universal. 

Also, I can't remember who, maybe it was Hogarth, who had just the filthiest and most perverted cartoons.   
ip icon Logged

Marconero

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Marconero
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »

I have an amazing coffee-table sized book of political cartoons from the New York Times (1880s-1920s if I remember correctly). The detail was amazing in some of them, and others are great just for the outlandish caracatures and inside jokes no one remembers anymore.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »

In March 2008, I saw a fantastic exhibition at the old Biblioth
ip icon Logged

Marconero

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:27:14 PM »

That reminds me of The exposition I saw in Sao Paulo in 2000 (BNL) which had all the art from Alvim Corr
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »

I saw the same illustration in a Paris book show in 2008, Marconero,
Here's my report with another Corr
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »

Wow, Jim that's a neat little story! Thank you for sharing it with us. I just skimmed through it but I'll go back and read it in detail later. Looks like a beautiful place. My brother-in-law went to Paris for his honeymoon and loved it. He said the image of rude French people is way off. He said they couldn't have been more friendly.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »

... the image of rude French people is way off. He said they couldn't have been more friendly.

I agree with your brother-in-law, Astaldo. In seven trips in 3
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Marconero

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:20:11 AM »

That book fair must have been amazing, seeing the originals really makes the whole thing more profound, so happy to read your report (thanks for the link to the Correa images there too).
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 03:07:45 PM »

So good to see such positive attitudes to France and the French.  My wife and I have been holidaying and visiting France(for Angouleme, comics and work etc.) since we were married, not a kick in the bahookie off 40 years ago.  Some people in Scotland have a very bad opinion of France, fuelled by certain parts of the British media.  Strange, as Scotland had a good relationship with France (trade and culture) for many years ( the Auld Alliance) before our lords and masters sold us to England 300 years ago. Funny how it still rankles.
Anyone considering visiting, I suggest you visit Menton, on the border with Italy.  Lovely little town, on the coast with TGV connection to Paris and only a short train journey to Nice.  In Paris one of my favourite galleries is Musee Mormottan for the most wonderful Monets.
JVJ, excellent diary.  Only skimmed it - more to be enjoyed later.
ip icon Logged

arghhh

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: arghhh
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »

Haven't really read pre-golden age cartoons, but I really love Little Nemo comic strips.Winsor McCay's art and imagination mesmerize me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:02:05 PM by arghhh »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 05:22:03 PM »

Haven't really read pre-golden age cartoons, but I really love Little Nemo comic strips.Winsor McCay's art and imagination mesmerize me.

I absolutely agree, arghhh, but don't you puzzle over the indifferent quality of his lettering? It just doesn't jibe with the control he shows in his art...

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

arghhh

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: arghhh
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »

I absolutely agree, arghhh, but don't you puzzle over the indifferent quality of his lettering? It just doesn't jibe with the control he shows in his art...

I'm not really an expert by any stretch, so it doesn't really jump at me; also, I get caught up in the psychedelic landscapes and the grand scale of his drawing that I mostly just glance the letters.  :)

The way he did the, errr, story blocks, annoys me - it, how to put it, it breaks the flow of scenes and makes it harder to experience the depth of his landscapes.

ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 12:12:49 AM »

I totally agree, I just read some of the little nemo series for the first time and was amazed at the art, especially given the era
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »

This is really old and revealing of the times in which it was done.  I have more illos from this period incl. a 1 pager with word balloons but have no idea how to post them here, despite having been told how to do so previously.  If anyone wants them I know how to attach to an email.:-

http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/june2005.html

I fell in love with the Little Nemo strip from the first time it was shown to me, heaven knows how many years ago.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »

:o There is a lot here for us History nerds to linger over. The following illos get my immediate attention:

Essay on Modern Medical Education, No. 9
Practical Results: At Home
From Vol. 1, no. 8: Northern Looking Glass
17th September 1825

and

Essay on Modern Medical Education, No. 1
The Alarm, or the Kirk Yard in Danger
From Vol. 1, no. 6: Northern Looking Glass
18th August 1825

Thanks for posting the link! :D

B.
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »

Very cool, enjoyed looking through it!
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 02:50:51 AM »

Anyone here also a fan of political and satirical cartoons of the 1800s/early 1900s?  I'm thinking James Gillray, William Hogarth, etc.

How about Thomas Nast and his famous "Let us prey" Boss Tweed political cartoon?

See
http://bugpowder.com/andy/index.html
for lotsa 1800s comics including Wilhelm Busch and Frederick Burr Opper.

Opper's Happy Hooligan is one of my favorite early comic strips.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »

Here's an article from The Guardian that should be of interest:-

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/flash/page/0,,1989203,00.html
ip icon Logged

scuttle

message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »

And lets not forget the minimalist surrealism of Krazy Kat!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »

Timely reference, scuttle, as I'm currently reading Tiger Tea in a lovely little hardback by Craig Yoe.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.