in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pre-Golden Age Comics / Cartoons

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Pre-Golden Age Comics / Cartoons  (Read 9707 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Pre-Golden Age Comics / Cartoons
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »

Timely reference, scuttle, as I'm currently reading Tiger Tea in a lovely little hardback by Craig Yoe.

Paw,  I read that one myself a couple of months back.  Yoe's been coming out with some nice collections this past year or so.  I just picked up his Dick Briefer/Frankenstein volume last week.

The Tiger Tea collections makes me wish that someone would tackle a reprinting of the complete Krazy Kat Dailies.  Maybe Fantagraphics will do it now that they've finished up the Sundays.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »

Yes, please.
ip icon Logged

Crocodilian

message icon
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 07:22:05 AM »

Anyone here also a fan of political and satirical cartoons of the 1800s/early 1900s?  I'm thinking James Gillray, William Hogarth, etc.

Yes, I'm a big fan (and collector) of Gillray and Cruikshank. I posted a little thread about Joseph Keppler, who was really terrific (Austrian immigrant to the US, he founded "Puck", great stuff from the 1880s)

Another great American name is Winsor McCay (best known for "Little Nemo", he was good at everything, and did plenty of political cartoons for the Hearst papers)

Gillray's influence is still felt very strongly in editorial cartooning. If you look at, say, Barry Blitt's cartoon of the Obama's from 2008, you can see that its a very direct reference to Gillray . . . looks like Gillray, and is set up like a Gillray.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »

I've been reading Happy Hooligan by Frederick Burr Opper in a nice landscape h/b book from NBM.  Great fun and a good laugh.  This was a new one to me so any further suggestions welcome.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »

Paw,  NBM also has a Mutt and Jeff book that features a number of early strips reprinted in a nice large size and a Bringing Up Father book which collects the first couple years of the strip from 1913-1914.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »

I have "Rex, King of the Deep" a 1941 comic strip coming. Art was done by Al McWilliams, it's his early art but it shows the style we've all grown to know from him. I have to post up some scans after I get it.

Geo
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »

I'm sure many of you will have stumbled upon this site but for those who haven't, it's rather good
http://bugpowder.com/andy/earlycomics.html
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.