in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Golden Age artists youd like to know more about.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

topic icon Author Topic: Golden Age artists youd like to know more about.  (Read 5271 times)

Electricmastro

message icon
Golden Age artists youd like to know more about.
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:13:15 AM »

Comic book artists active in and around the Golden Age that youd like to familiarize yourself with more, either to potentially discover more interesting art that you previously didnt know about, or out of curiosity in general. For me, one of those artists would have to be Dick Ryan, who drew various funny animal comics in the late 30s for companies like Centaur, and even drew for a newspaper comic called Animal Crackers at that time, but I dont know much else about him or his other work.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:00:40 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Golden Age artists you
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »

Comic book artists active in and around the Golden Age that youd like to familiarize yourself with more, either to potentially discover more interesting art that you previously didnt know about, or out of curiosity in general. For me, one of those artists would have to be Dick Ryan, who drew various funny animal comics in the late 30s for companies like Centaur, and even drew for a newspaper comic called Animal Crackers at that time, but I dont know much else about him or his other work.

I know that Ryan also did work in the late '30s and early '40s for Chesler and Centaur, and early '40s for MLJ, and a bit of spot work (or some of his earlier one and two-page newspaper gags got re-printed) in other early '40s comic book publishers' issues.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 06:28:20 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 03:55:37 AM »

Here's a blog page by bchat, another Dick Ryan fan:

http://muttermumblegrumblegripe.blogspot.com/2010/01/art-appreciation-dick-ryan.html

Thanks, saw that too, as well as the comment which mentioned that Dick Ryan was the brother of Ben Ryan, as in the Ben Ryan that wrote Heart of My Heart, but I ran a dead end in the research there as well.

Ellis "Holly" Chambers

David Saunders might have touched on something specific about his life in that Ellis Holly Chambers may have had connections to Texas and may have even used variations of his name depending on his preferences (such as Hollie being the real name while
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:10:21 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:53:08 PM »

Just discovered, in a digest sized Dc reprint issue a story of the character THE RAY. Lives in a lighthouse ?
Would love to see more RAY and learn of the artist.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 12:42:54 AM »

Just discovered, in a digest sized Dc reprint issue a story of the character THE RAY. Lives in a lighthouse ?
Would love to see more RAY and learn of the artist.

Which story?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 07:10:07 AM »

Golden Age artists for The Ray included Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, and Rudy Palais.

The Ray stories appeared in Smash Comics #14-40 from Quality.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:15:57 AM »

Golden Age artists for The Ray included Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, and Rudy Palais.

The Ray stories appeared in Smash Comics #14-40 from Quality.

Ray stories were reprinted in Superman #252 and Adventure Comics #501. Not sure if there are more.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:59:47 AM »

Love Lou Fine.
Note that Pure Imagination have published 2 collections of Lou Fine.
The first one runs to 160 pages.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/lou-fine-reader/4050-63276/

This site here, which Electricmastro should enjoy, has many examples of Comic Art, Listed by artist, has some Lou Fine.
https://smurfswacker.blogspot.com/search/label/Lou%20Fine

I'm actually surprised we don't have a Lou Fine compilation here on CB+, but it seems we don't.     
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 12:03:59 PM »

Adventure Comics #501 is the one I saw him in. A digest sized edition. An older buddy of mine said it was Lou Fine. Powerful figure.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »

Wonder Woman original artist H.G. Peter is mine.
I've learned a bit about him and found much earlier examples of his work in a completely different style.
But don't know much beyond the basics of him.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 03:31:07 PM »

We have a RAY compilation and it's here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=69416
And you'll find Black Condor in Crack Comics:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=883
Uncle Sam here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1329

Modifying this to note that there was a compilation of Lou Fine stories compiled by Boutje years ago. I don't think it's on his new pages.  It's a big file, weighing in at 434mb and over 1700 pages.  If anyone wants it, I can send it We Transfer if you pm me your email address. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:41:58 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »

Adventure Comics #501 is the one I saw him in. A digest sized edition. An older buddy of mine said it was Lou Fine. Powerful figure.

That would be the Ray story from Smash Comics #17 then:

Lou Fine had polio at a young age, so I think he spent quite a bit of time studying his influences such as Dean Cornwell, J.C. Leyendecker, and Heinrich Kley, though he eventually started attending the Grand Central School of Art and Pratt Institute, which are schools quite a number of relatively high-profile artists, including comic artists, from back in the day seem to have been affiliated with. They include:

Grand Central School of Art:

Harry Anderson

Warren King

Creig Flessel

Adolphe Barreaux

Norman Saunders

Al Wenzel

Rafael Astarita

Charles Biro

Pratt Institute:

Jim Chambers

Robert Jenney

Will Ely

Howard Sherman

Gerald McCann

Elmer Wexler

Richard Case

Nina Albright

Pierce Rice

Alex Kotzky

Al Avison

Morton Meskin

Leonard Starr

John Rosenberger

Victor Pazmino

Chuck Mazoujian

George Olesen

Jerry Grandenetti

Chuck Cuidera

Bill Ward

Rafael Astarita

Bob Powell

Lillian Chestney

Art Saaf

George Mandel

Mike Roy

Marie Severin

Jon Blummer

Syd Shores

Tarpe Mills
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »

Electricmastro, thanks for that list. very useful. Lou Fine also did Black Condor for Quality.
There is also a collection available.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21194535-black-condor-collection---vol-1

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 11:20:24 PM »

Thanks, panther.. I will check out the RAY stories. That list of artists included NORMAN SAUNDERS. I got his big book recently and WOW !  Batman cards, Wacky Packages, Odd Rods got every quarter I had in my pocket as a kid. Then as an adult, just about every pulp and old Popular Mechanics had a paining of his on the front.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 04:41:06 AM »

Thanks, panther.. I will check out the RAY stories. That list of artists included NORMAN SAUNDERS. I got his big book recently and WOW !  Batman cards, Wacky Packages, Odd Rods got every quarter I had in my pocket as a kid. Then as an adult, just about every pulp and old Popular Mechanics had a paining of his on the front.

Norman Saunders did around 100 comic book works combined for Ziff-Davis and Fawcett, though he was far more prominent with pulp works, having done over 800 of them between the 1930s and 1960, which is an achievement apparently no other artist had reached.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 06:25:58 AM »

Quite a large number of Norman Saunders covers on CB+

ttps://comicbookplus.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-9639869078401298%3A2415513160&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=norman+saunders++&sa=Search&siteurl=comicbookplus.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D18755.0%3Btopicseen&ref=comicbookplus.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dunreadreplies&ss=20648j203378302j25

A project for an Archive?

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 07:56:02 AM »

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:32:15 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »

Thanks Electromastro,

That second link is a real eye-opener!

http://alphabettenthletter.blogspot.com/2017/11/comics-school-of-industrial-arts.html

Didn't know Carmine Infantino had a brother, James who worked in Advertising, but also for Marvel and the Kirby shop in the 50s.
Among other things -
"Richard' Giordano - and that haircut! He and 'Anthony' Tallarico' and 'Angelo Torres' were in the same class together. Explains a lot.
Victor Moscoso, Class of '54. So the links with the Underground were that strong.
Ralph Bakshi!
Neal Adams - class of 59.
Marvin Wolfman - Class of 54. And his little essay says it all.
Arthur I. Spiegelman
Sid Check.
Click on any of these guys and you get a list of much of their professional status post graduation and some of their work. So a great resource. 
I haven't listed them all, I've saved some for you  - look for yourself!
And on Staff - two gentlemen of colour - Charles Allen and Alvin Hollingsworth.
And also
Bernard Krigstein, staff 
and
Class year unknown or did not graduate
Valerie Barclay (classmate with Allen Bellman)
Ernest Bache
Allen Bellman (classmate with Valerie Barclay)
Frank Bolle
Solomon Brodsky
Nick Cardy (classmate with Al Plastino)
Bernard Case
Jon D
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 08:02:47 PM »

That second link is a real eye-opener!

As well as the Pratt ones:

Bob Powell:

Mort Meskin:

Ken Bald:

Robert Webb:

Arthur Peddy:

Gerald McCann:

Dan Zolnerowich:

Al Gabriele:

Elmer Wexler:

Chuck Cuidera:

Lillian Chestney:

Jean Hotchkiss:

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 08:59:22 PM »

Favorite Maurice Del Bourgo art that I
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2020, 10:10:52 PM »

Extremely interesting article. I was never much of a del Bourgo fan, but I like to learn about any and all Golden Age artists. Have you found an example of the strip?
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »

Extremely interesting article. I was never much of a del Bourgo fan, but I like to learn about any and all Golden Age artists. Have you found an example of the strip?

The Tercentenary strips? I haven
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:36:11 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »

Fascinating article. Maurice del Bourgo was all over the place in Golden Age comics
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »

Found an interesting quote about Maurice del Bourgo.  Does anyone know offhand which issue of Taffy this story was printed in?

Maurice Del Burgo was a weirdo.  When not in Raye Hermann
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.