in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

60s kid from Richmond, VA It'S grokking time ! Hi

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: 60s kid from Richmond, VA It'S grokking time ! Hi  (Read 805 times)

Jetstone

message icon
60s kid from Richmond, VA It'S grokking time ! Hi
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »

40s comics get my Spidey sense tingling...as do 50s sci-fi lunch boxes, Major Matt Mason, Magnus Robot Fighter, Tom Corbett Bread labels, dazzle painted ships, UFOs real and depicted, 50s sci-fi pulp art, Batman cards by Norman Saunders, color TV like Star Trek, The Invaders, Lost in Space, music from Mission Impossible, Viewmaster reels, comic art by Bob Powell, Basil Wolverton, L.B. Cole, Russ Manning, Russ Heath, Kirby/Sinnot. newsprint 2000AD comics, Old radio shows, Space Angel, Space Ghost and my favorite JONNY QUEST.

I have been a caricaturist and free lance artist/sign painter my entire life and have a perfect reputation for being relentlessly opinionated mostly in basking in the perfect refinements of 20th century animation, comics, movies and TV. You can't hurt me and I will pass every test for honesty in the face of overwhelming numbers of dissenters, peer pressure and contrary opinions ( which I respect but will never debate because I know where I stand and have no reason or plans to consider changing my mind on anything )

I love this site and anybody who would join a site like this and can count on the fingers of one hand the movies worth watching after 2000.

I also love being found out as a hypocrite for example I have actually bought 5 graphic novel volumes ( 2 SCARLET TRACES  and 3 GODLAND . not because of religion but because of the Kirby tribute aesthetic ) and also own but do not play for the same reason the most comprehensive Kirby tribute I know to exist.. the video game FREEDOM FORCE.

SMILEY FACE  from the 70s. Seldom post daily or even weekly but I have some interesting ones planned and some cool stuff and name dropping to share.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: 60s kid from Richmond, VA It'S grokking time ! Hi
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »

Well, Welcome Jetstone.
We do have regular debates here, but mostly about the accuracy of our knowlege of the details of comcs titles, publishers, artists, writers, techniques, styles and like that. We are most of the time [at least 99%?] polite and supportive of each other. Sounds like you might have much to contribute, so please join in. But flexibility and good manners are assumed. 
In particular go to the forum home and check out the threads under 'Comic Talk' 
And thank you for reminding me about 'GodLand'. Lots of Kirby here. My first tip, go to the Harvey section and check out 'Alarming Tales'. If you are not familiar with the work he did for that title, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Again, Welcome!

Cheers!       
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 07:52:59 AM »

Hello Jetstone.  Welcome to CB+.  What an intro.  I'll read all that again. Mind, you mention Scarlet Traces which  I re-read, actually re-re-read, recently.  Good, isn't it?   Did you get the Quatermass references?
Enjoy yourself here and please join in.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »

Terrific intro, Jetstone - welcome to the gang!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »

Welcome Jetstone!  I'm sure you'll find a lot of PD material here to read and enjoy its art.  And I'm looking forward to your adding your expertise on comic book and comic strip artists and writers, and knowledge of films and TV, to the Forum's discussions.  I'm even more extreme than you when it comes to films.  I know little about films made after 1965.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 02:00:29 AM »

Jet you sound just like you belong here welcome
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »

Thanks for the kind words and tips, which I will track down for sure. Not familiar with Quatermas references; did not absorb the movie although did view. I am posting images of my own Kirby tribute mural.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »

Panther, I did check out Alarming Tales #1. Incredible.  ..and Pa.. glad to meet another Traces fan. can't go wrong with red and white rocket ships from part 2.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »

Just watched an old Hammer sci fi Film, "these are the Damned", based on the novel "the Children of Light".
A very disturbing story.
Won't spoil it but if you find a copy be warned the first portion of the film would lead you to believe it is a low grade Teddy Boy type gang crime story, but that part just sets up the main characters and how they get where they are as things go sideways for them.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 08:18:38 AM »

A personal favourite of mine too - with a young Oliver Reed making his mark
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »

The young Oliver Reed seemed to make the kind of movies in the UK that Jack Nicholson and Bruce Dern did in America. 
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »

Speaking of Hammer, my favorite Holmes film stars Christopher Lee as Holmes. A great 1962 production from Germany, despite what Lee thinks of it.
By the way panther; I love all of those handwritten pages by Alex Toth in which he really slams all of the degrading conventions of the decreasingly child friendly creators of content for children. Great examples of which are filth like Family Guy, quite a few Simpsons episodes, and unfortunately, the sequel to The Incredibles. Don't want to get into detail.. too depressing, inasmuch as I liked most of the first one.

I really am eager to see film The Twonky, having read the short story recently. It is as brief and chilling as the Monkey's Paw. .. and prophetic... although how an intelligent kid could be mesmerized by anything on a twonky nowadays is beyond me.
A 50s kid, sign painter and cartoonist friend of mine who has since passed on used to brighten up whenever he was able to relate the fact that he "met another young person who likes old movies and TV and hates the new stuff."
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »

Absolutely agree - Sherlock Holmes & the Deadly Necklace.

You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYreTwmy0BU

Don't miss it, folks!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 03:48:44 AM »

Speaking of Hammer, my favorite Holmes film stars Christopher Lee as Holmes. A great 1962 production from Germany, despite what Lee thinks of it.
By the way panther; I love all of those handwritten pages by Alex Toth in which he really slams all of the degrading conventions of the decreasingly child friendly creators of content for children. Great examples of which are filth like Family Guy, quite a few Simpsons episodes, and unfortunately, the sequel to The Incredibles. Don't want to get into detail.. too depressing, inasmuch as I liked most of the first one.

I really am eager to see film The Twonky, having read the short story recently. It is as brief and chilling as the Monkey's Paw. .. and prophetic... although how an intelligent kid could be mesmerized by anything on a twonky nowadays is beyond me.
A 50s kid, sign painter and cartoonist friend of mine who has since passed on used to brighten up whenever he was able to relate the fact that he "met another young person who likes old movies and TV and hates the new stuff."

Your friend had a LOT of company sharing such taste from his same generation, including most of my friends above 50 in age, and myself.  My favourite films are from the 1920s through 1950s, and I like some, but a lot less through the '60s and '70s, and almost none after that.  I like comic strips and comic books from the 1890s through the 1950s, a little bit into the '60s, and almost no US comic books after that, except Disney printing our European stories. Europe had a fair amount of good graphic novels into the 1990s.  I haven't read much in the way of general non-European Disney and general non-Disney comics made after 2000.  But the  covers, alone turn me off.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 05:16:39 AM »

Hammer , I prefer the 1959 Hammer production of "Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cushing in the role of Sherlock Holmes and Christopher Lee as the young Sir Henry Baskerville.
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 02:19:46 AM »

Nicole Williamson ( 7% Solution ) had the greatest timber and potential as Holmes but had the worst Watson in Duval and a crummy story where the payoff for the audience was supposed to be Holmes disavowing his character and meekly acquiescing to paternalism in the form of Freud, who I consider as belonging in the pantheon of the overrated... am now anxious to see Peter Cushing.

In addition to FREEBIE and the BEAN ( great R rated comedy and drama ), I am thoroughly entertained by ,  Herzog's
FITZCARALDO with KLAUS KINSKI, COLLOSSUS The FORBIN PROJECT which is coming to life before our eyes, the Japanese anime LENSMAN a G-rated unrecognizable adaptation of E.Doc Smith with stunning exotic sci-fi backgrounds, the French animated feature THE TRIPLETS OF BELLVILLE which pays homage to 30s musical shorts at the beginning, and I also think DREAMSCAPE has many memorable moments (along with tacky synthesizer soundtrack ) as does SPACEHUNTER ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE  whose dialogue for "space scavenger" Molly Ringwald is worth the price of admission.

I was lucky enough to be able to grab a pile of 2000Ad comics ( on newsprint from the 80s) and am blown away by the exquisite ink work on the cover art and the Judge Dredd stories.. not much of a fan of the rest of the stories but many of the Dredd artists are breathtaking ... obviously using a larger original page size than standard comic books.
ROY of the ROVERS is also a recent delightful discovery if you like soccer.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.